GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script New to Renting - What do I need to remember and ask? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Renting - What do I need to remember and ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Renting - What do I need to remember and ask?

hey guys!

So my fiancé and I are finally leaving the nest and moving into our our house, however, we've never rented before so want to make sure I do it properly and ask you guys what I should make sure is there, and what I should ask.

Thanks

TM

TibetanMonk
    On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Re: New to Renting - What do I need to remember and ask?

I thought last night you'd got a place and applied for cable? *confused*
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Sorry for confusing you lol, we've applied and put down the deposit on the house, just waiting on work references and credit check

TibetanMonk
      On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

They're doing a work reference - wow. Intrusive!!

Good luck
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TibetanMonk View Post
          we've applied and put down the deposit on the house, just waiting on work references and credit check
          You need to read SnV's thread on this subject. He passed his credit check for renting despite having 21 defaults on his file

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post396154

If you've got a job you should be fine because that's the most important thing to a Landlord or Landlady The reason they're askng for a work reference is to check you have told the truth on your application form.

Which tenant referencing service is the letting agent using or is it being done in-house?

Once you're over that hurdle let me know so I can help you with the terms of your tenancy agreement which is a two-way street meaning you (Tenant) can have things written into it which suit your circumstances not just your Landlord. This guide by Which? spells out most of what you need to know about your legal rights:

http://www.which.co.uk/money/mortgag...nts-explained/

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            You need to read SnV's thread on this subject. He passed his credit check for renting despite having 21 defaults on his file

Only 21

Comment

Not sure why this didn't send me an email to say you'd posted...

BUT CONGRATS TO ME, I PASSED AND WE NOW NEED TO SIGN THE AGREEMENT. My partner is just having her work referencing done and then we're done.

TibetanMonk
              On Debt Row

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

If you've got a job you should be fine because that's the most important thing to a Landlord or Landlady The reason they're askng for a work reference is to check you have told the truth on your application form.

Which tenant referencing service is the letting agent using or is it being done in-house?

Once you're over that hurdle let me know so I can help you with the terms of your tenancy agreement which is a two-way street meaning you (Tenant) can have things written into it which suit your circumstances not just your Landlord. This guide by Which? spells out most of what you need to know about your legal rights:

http://www.which.co.uk/money/mortgag...nts-explained/

Plan B x
                Have you ever heard of a Goodfaith deposit? We had to pay £300 (Non refundable deposit) to take it off the market to then start the credit checking etc etc.

TibetanMonk
                On Debt Row

Comment

Originally posted by TibetanMonk View Post
                  Have you ever heard of a Goodfaith deposit? We had to pay £300 (Non refundable deposit) to take it off the market to then start the credit checking etc etc.
                  Did you sign something when they took the £300 deposit giving the circumstances when it would be non-refundable? Sometimes it will say it's only non-refundable if you (Tenant) pull out or fail your reference checks.

If everything proceeds then that deposit should be deducted from the first months rent.

There may also have been a fee for admin and references but this must have been told to you in advance and they should have given you a copy of their Terms of Business to sign too.

Are these agents members of The Property Ombudsman? They all have to be part of a redress scheme by law.

Check them on the register (although there are a couple of other schemes they can join) http://www.tpos.co.uk/index.php

Plan B x

Comment

It's fulfords we're going through, and I did sign something yes, to agree to the credit check and referencing check. I can't remember seeing about when it was non-refundable, but that could be down to me being an idiot.

TibetanMonk
                    On Debt Row

Comment

Working...
                    X