GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Urgent help with old fine - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent help with old fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help with old fine

Hi Guys,

I'm really in need of some advice if possible.

My O/H received a Distress Warrant from a bailiffs called Philips last March regarding an unpaid fine from the Magistrates Court. He had no idea what this warrant was and what it was for so he called Philips who were really rude and told him they didn't know, he'd have to phone the courts.

My O/H spent days trying to get through and when he eventually spoke to someone they told him it was for a unpaid parking ticket. The thing is it was for a car he never owned and he also never had a driving licence at the time, he passed months after. The Court told him to complete a Statutory Declaration and send it to them and they would sort it out. He did as they asked, got it signed by a solicitor and had it faxed off. The letters stopped and we heard no more.

Now 12 months on we've just received a letter from the courts entitled 'Further Steps Notice' It says he owes them £352.50 and he has failed to make payments as directed. We've heard nothing for 12 months now this, if we knew it was still a problem we would have sorted it out before now! They also say it needs to be paid within the next 10 working days otherwise they'll take action! It was sent on the 3rd Feb via second class post so we only received it today the 10th - that gives us even less time to sort this out!

I'm panicking, we haven't got that sort of money. I don't know what to do, any advice would be appreciated.

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED WITH OLD FINE!

Niddy shouts Rizzle / Boo / Pompey..........

Best of luck
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, i need it. If its not one thing, it's another!

Hopefully one of them will be along soon.

Comment

I sent message to Boo and Pompey - Boo is here now
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Clairebear, can you phone the court and explain what happened 12 months ago and find out exactly why you have been sent this?

If bailiffs get involved, just don't let them in, they cannot break in.

I assume the Stat Dec was along these lines?

I: [NAME] residing at [ADDRESS AND POSTCODE]

DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT:

I had no prior knowledge or any correspondence from [NAME OF] [MAGISTRATES COURT/COURT/AUTHORITY] following an alleged [OFFENCE/LIABILITY/DEBT] on [DATE] for [NATURE OF OFFENCE/DEBT]

From information provided to me today by the [MAGISTRATES COURT/OTHER COURT/AUTHORITY] I am informed that a hearing for this matter was held in my absence where I was [FINED/MADE LIABLE TO PAY THE AMOUNT OF] [£AMOUNT]. The reference number for this case is: [REFERENCE]

AND THAT:

Notification of this fine first came to my attention on [DATE] when a bailiff from [NAME OF COMPANY] came to my home. He was in possession of a [DISTRESS WARRANT/LIABILITY ORDER/ORDER FOR RECOVERY] dated [DATE IF KNOWN] and that he required the sum of £[AMOUNT].

I genuinely do not remember receiving any notice of this [FINE/LIABILITY/DEBT].

I make this solemn declaration under Section 7 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835 believing the same to be true.

DECLARED AT:

SIGNED:

DATE:

Before me:

Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths:

Comment

^^^^^ see I knew he'd know what to do (I certainly don't)

Best of luck - thanks Bboo

Comment

Hi Clairebear

Originally posted by Clairebear View Post
              The Court told him to complete a Statutory Declaration and send it to them and they would sort it out. He did as they asked, got it signed by a solicitor and had it faxed off. The letters stopped and we heard no more.
              Just wondering if you, or the Solicitor, still has a copy of this ?

Good luck

MK
              One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
              Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Thanks for this lads, i REALLY do appreciate it!!

That's the one Boo, i found it off the internet and printed it off for him. I've just had a look for the original form but i cant seem to find it yet. He'll have to have a look when he gets home.

He's trying to call the Court from work. He's been trying for the past couple of hours but hasn't had any luck getting through so far. I remember last time it literally took days! It better not this time as 6 of the 10 working days given to respond has been taking up by sending it second class!

I suppose there's no point in panicking until he speaks to them but its Friday so if he doesn't get through today I'll be worrying till Monday.

I'm not expecting any visitors so If anyone does turn up I'll just ignore the door. Not that i like the feeling of hiding away.

Comment

I apologise Clairebear - I should have said don't worry. The original Statutory Declaration should have sorted all of this out for you, and I can only think that someone, somewhere - quite possibly the DVLA, have messed up and made a stupid mistake.

As long as you know for a fact you are innocent of this, you honestly have nothing to worry about. It's just upsetting having it hanging over you at the weekend.

Comment

Cheers for the reassurance Boo, I'm calming down a little now (that Brandy helps)!!

Well he's just managed to get through to the Court and explain the situation. Apparently they never received his form but they do have notes on their system to say he did call up and explain this wasn't his car etc and that he was taking their advice and sending in a Stat Dec. The lady said she could see he wasn't trying to hide away and not pay so she's put the account on hold for 48 days so he can sort it out. She suggested the same as mk_chatam, that if he goes back to the Solicitor they should still have it on record and he can obtain a copy and send that through.

He's going to pop into there on Monday and see if they have it, fingers crossed they do.

Comment

I guess the worst case scenario is you have to do another one, which would hardly be the end of the world. Let's hope they still have the original - they should have.

This time, it may be a good idea to send Special Delivery or take it to the court in person and get a written receipt for it! They really are hopeless.

Things people will do to hit the Brandy bottle at lunchtime eh!!!!!

Comment

Ha ha you've seen right through me!! Well the booze does make the housework more enjoyable.

I've already told him this time i want it faxed, emailed, sent recorded delivery and by pigeon. I'm sure i told him last time to do it recorded delivery but 'sometimes' men never listen. Of course i could have been on the Brandy again and forgot to mention it

Comment

Just a little update and help if poss.

I managed to find the original stat dec so i copied it and posted one off recorded delivery 8/3/12 (still not arrived though!) and my O/H hand delivered one into the court himself last week. But today we've received a letter from Philips entitled 'Notice Of Distress Warrant'. They say he has 48 hours (letter dated the 12th today is the 15th!!) to pay the full amount or they will come and seize goods. I'm not sure what to do or who to contact. In any case the lady he spoke to at the court said they were putting the account on hold for 48 days so we can send the dec into them so surely it still should be on hold until the 22/3? Plus now we've given in the stat dec should they still be coming to seize goods? If they do it will just be me here by myself and though i wont let them in i dread the thought of them coming round at all!

Oh and by the way the 'Further Steps Notice' that came from the court says he owes them £352.50 and the Philips letter says he owes £437.50!!!
                          Last edited by Clairebear; 15 March 2012, 15:11.

Comment

Can anyone help at all? I've just had another letter entitled Notice To Enter & Search Your Premises.

Who should i contact the to tell them were being chased but given in our Stat Dec, the Court or Philips?

Comment

not my area but definitely don't let anyone in.

personally I'd be phoning the court and reading the riot act!!!

I am presuming you have proof of postage for everything?

Comment

Working...
                              X