GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Haggling with broadband provider - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haggling with broadband provider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haggling with broadband provider

I'm trying to get my household bills etc as low as I can.

This afternoon I phoned my cable company and have managed to get my broadband reduced to £15 per month and line rental £3.99 per month, which aren't bad deals at all.

If I try to call their bluff and say I want to cancel, in the hope that they may come back with a better deal, will I be able to stay on with them if they don't make a better offer?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Haggling with broadband provider

Yea but if you go too far and they do cancel you need to wait for the MAC code which can take 30 days so be careful otherwise you'll be Internet-less for a month!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
      Yea but if you go too far and they do cancel you need to wait for the MAC code which can take 30 days so be careful otherwise you'll be Internet-less for a month!

A week was too long!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

There's a good deal with O2 but would they do a credit check (I have my mobile with them)?

Comment

Unless you're in an area that can get cable broadband, no need for a MAC code then.

Comment

Originally posted by swanfan
            Unless you're in an area that can get cable broadband, no need for a MAC code then.
            I'm already on cable.

Comment

Originally posted by pixiechick
              I'm already on cable.
              Oh yeah now i've [size=5]sobered[/s] woken up i read your first post again.

Whoops! :red

Comment

BT Does credit check

o2 mobile PAYGO Don't (as its pay as you go)
                o2 mobile contract will

Comment

Thanks 5corpio.

I've been with O2 for years (since the cellnet days), first on PAYGO then contract, now monthly sim only. Not sure if they'll credit check me or not. I suppose I could try and find out...

Comment

Along as you've never been late paying your monthly (on time or before due if not D/D)
                    I upgraded last year Aug, and i was hoping against my rating too..... because i switched (staff offer) tariff and number.....taking into account living at 5 different addresses in over period of less than 10 years.....

Comment

Well, I called Virgin's bluff - and they called mine!! So my cable is being disconnected between Christmas and New Year.

Going to borrow my daughter's '3' broadband dongle to see if I can get good connection. It surprised me when I spoke to Virgin, just how little data I'd used (considering the amount of time I spend online!) so might be more cost effective to be on PAYGO.

I've decided that I don't really need a landline and I don't see why I should pay for something that I don't use. If I need to ring any of the dreaded 0845/0870 numbers I'll just use my Dad's phone. At least it might stop the lenders/dcas!

No, I've never been late with my DD, except for when I changed banks. The 'old' bank should've paid it but didn't and I didn't know it hadn't been paid until I couldn't use my phone! Still, I got £5 credit from them for the inconvenience!!

Comment

What happened with virgin? Did you try go too low

BT is good but expensive, they dont credit check - they ID check you. Worse case they may ask for £50 deposit that you get back in 12mth. Avoid dongles, they are not that good. Youre always better with a wired connection plus you can then have it installed in same room as pc - saves the need for router plus you get fastest connection using direct cabled (as opposed to dongles/wifi)
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Have u considered using sky? Get cheapest tv package then use their free isp for internet? Youd need to keep your phoneline though lol. Catch 22 i guess....

Comment

What happened with virgin? Did you try go too low
                            Yep! :red

MSE's fault - they said if you accept a deal without being put throught to disconnections, then you haven't got the best deal. I said that if they couldn't match what it would cost on O2 then I'd have to leave - so he gave me the disconnection date!! So much for customer loyalty - been with them for donkey's years!!

The dongle seemed fine tbh - maybe a little slower but I don't download anything. Might try it for a while until the work situation picks up. There isn't a BT line in the house so I'd have to pay £85 for one to be put in and I can't really afford that at the moment, especially with Christmas around the corner - my fault for having 4 kids!!

Comment

More fool you for listening to the muppets on MSE! Going through to disconnections means, ermm - they have decided to let you go|! NEVER let it get that far! (as you've learned) haha

Comment

Working...
                              X