GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Virgin broadband buggered/3 dongle jangles brain ... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin broadband buggered/3 dongle jangles brain ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin broadband buggered/3 dongle jangles brain ...

Virgin Broadband have a "national" fault right now which would explain why my internet is knackered ... Status - Service Announcements - Virgin Media

To have internet access I had to pay for some PAYG on a 3 dongle. I have to try and plug a load of USB leads together to get the dongle as far away from me as possible cos it hurts my head! I can really feel the radio waves from it and it's not nice.

Does anyone else get this with wifi stuff? I've got a nice ancient Nokia mobile phone (this one) [IMGL]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpjvcQlmPMCZ9FHd00k1C_mhVCaukQN MRiBzyBuJCB9Q4p2lmi8Q[/IMGL] that I've kept all these years cos I have to use a wired earpiece. I bought a job lot of these also ancient headsets that they don't make any more: [IMGL]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwXNAe3tlPPXl01raYN27m73mkC70zX BHKnp7jB1FNvXM3TIS5kA[/IMGL] as they're retractable and don't get into a massive tangle in your pocket.

People either take the mick out of the ancientness of my phone when they see it and/or my use of this cranky old earpiece but I really have to avoid holding a mobile phone to my head. After about half a minute I get this horrible sensation like a combination of cobwebs/pins and needles/headache which lasts for the rest of the day. I don't exactly wilt the moment I step outside my front door but this stuff does affect me quite badly so I avoid it (and my ancient Nokia+earpiece does the job). I have to switch off the radio bit of the wireless router if I'm sitting within a couple of metres of it an' all. I've not actually met anyone else in person who is affected by this in this way and it baffles me how people can speak on their mobile phones for as long as they do ...

This breakdown of Virgin Broadband tonight and having to use this 3 dongle has just reminded me about this. Would be curious to know if anyone else is affected by this sort of stuff?
    Last edited by Pip; 18 January 2012, 15:05. Reason: Had a fiddle around with how to place images in a post ...

Re: Virgin broadband buggered/3 dongle jangles brain ...

wow - I thought you were taking the piss at first. So you're saying that using wifi frazzles your brain, literally?

Bummer, mate - that's bad. Last person I know that had that - well you don't want to know, trust me

* the sarcasm is in full flow now
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      wow - I thought you were taking the piss at first. So you're saying that using wifi frazzles your brain, literally?

Bummer, mate - that's bad. Last person I know that had that - well you don't want to know, trust me

* the sarcasm is in full flow now
      Give me old-fashioned wires any day!

Funny how "wireless" became a trendy word again, by the way. When I was little that was the thing you used to listen to Radio 1 on ..!

Comment

Originally posted by Pip View Post
        Funny how "wireless" became a trendy word again, by the way. When I was little that was the thing you used to listen to Radio 1 on ..!
        Haha - yep, agree with that one - indeed it was!

My granny still calls it the TR - I was like "the whaaaaat?"......

(Transistor Radio)
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
          I'd say time to get yourself an iPhone (I mean PIP not :niddy who's already got one)!

Now you're not buying iPhones for the *ankers at the rate of one per month, sorry, I mean paying into your DMP, you should be able to buy yourself one.

You could get one cheaply with a contract, I did, signed up with the same network a year ago as I've been with them since 2001 so no credit check!
          But if it's a mobile phone it's still gonna blast out radio waves and hurt me heed if I use it as a phone! Unless you can get retractable non-tangle-in-pocket headsets. I don't really want a fancy phone though to be honest as I spend enough time on the internet as it is, and even though I rely on emails for work, I don't want to have to deal with or think about emails while I'm out and away from the computer ..!

Comment

You're not alone, PIP. It's called "Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity" or EHS for short:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/facts.../en/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
              Haha - yep, agree with that one - indeed it was!

My granny still calls it the TR - I was like "the whaaaaat?"......

(Transistor Radio)
              You lucky she doesn't call it a Tranny, like me mother used to !!!!!

Comment

I don't mind taking some stick for this, but that phone is brilliant! I gave mine away a few months ago and wish I hadn't. Battery life - well, it never runs out, it makes phones calls, sends texts, and lets you escape from the internet for a while. Excellent!

I suffer with some things from having my head fried. I've got an old, but rather dinky, wireless earpiece somewhere. It cost a fortune and I swear, wear it for 30 minutes and I bet the temperature of your brain has risen about 30 degrees - horrendous.

Fortunately I haven't got much of a brain to fry, so it's not too bad!

Comment

To have internet access I had to pay for some PAYG on a 3 dongle. I have to try and plug a load of USB leads together to get the dongle as far away from me as possible cos it hurts my head! I can really feel the radio waves from it and it's not nice.
                  Make yourself an AFDB - link

Comment

Tranny?? Thats modern, obviously when you were in short pants you didn't have to run the road to drysalters and get your accumulator charged and then tickle the cats whisker to get reception.

Don't know you're born some of you!

regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      Make yourself an AFDB - link
                      No thanks -- I think it may have a lot of undesirable side effects ...

Comment

No thanks -- I think it may have a lot of undesirable side effects ...

So wear it under a wig.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
                          I don't mind taking some stick for this, but that phone is brilliant! I gave mine away a few months ago and wish I hadn't. Battery life - well, it never runs out, it makes phones calls, sends texts, and lets you escape from the internet for a while. Excellent!
                          [IMGL]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/1922029949_866d6f7a36.jpg[/IMGL]It has a very rudimentary WAP browser which is very useful for accessing the National Rail timetable website and to see if trains are running (I don't have a car!). It has a calculator as well! Sadly it doesn't have the enthralling "Snake" game on it however -- maybe an upgrade/downgrade is in order. This (left) was my first ever mobile, but it didn't have text messaging, games or caller ID or anything else ...

Comment

motorola 'flip' - Mint phone!(I love 'em)

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                              motorola 'flip' - Mint phone!(I love 'em)
                              Yes, the "flip" did give quite a satisfying "fupp" sound when flicked/flipped shut! I think the plastic pull-out aerial was just for show though...

Comment

Working...
                              X