GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Goodbye Yahoo after nine years – cretins - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Yahoo after nine years – cretins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Yahoo after nine years – cretins

I have a lot of email accounts, both domain emails and web based, which I use for different purposes. For nine years now I have used Yahoo accounts for email transactions with commercial organisations which invariably send you a ton of unwanted messages. The useless spam filters are hardly a problem when most of the legitimate email is a type of spam in any case, and the plethora of advertising gets blocked by Firefox anyway. I've got one which I use for advance railway ticket bookings (which save a lot of money), and one which I use just for feeBay.

Now, Yahoo has started demanding that people add a cell phone number, every single time they log in. Even if I owned a cell phone, I would have no intention of providing the number to Yahoo. If the email accounts have run for nine years without a cell phone number, why on Earth do they feel they need one now?

I've got no intention of wasting my time negotiating their silly messages every time I want to read emails, so it is goodbye Yahoo. For now, I've just changed everything over to my GMail, but eventually I will want to separate everything as it always has been. I'll take my time to find the best free email solution.

At the moment the favourite seems to be Zoho. They have no ads, although ads aren't something I worry about because the browser just blocks them. The only quirk with Zoho is that they demand an email address when you sign up, so you can't get an email account without having an email account. That doesn't bother me, as I've got plenty of existing accounts, but for someone new to the Internet it could be a problem.

Has anybody got any other tips for good free web based email services?

SH

Re: Goodbye Yahoo after nine years – cretins

Gmail for me.
    10GB of space, documents, chat, reliable, secure and free.
    Loads of email accounts are compromised and they offer 2-factor authentication for free. I've got the app on my phone, so even if i were to log in from a place which had logged my password it's not going to let them in because they need the pin from the generator on my phone.
    You can also buy your own domain and let them host it for you - for free using Google apps.
    Last time i set someone up on it, free for 5 accounts.
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I use ymail too and it has been a pain for ages now, it regularly locks me out because I use a vpn and is starting to ask for a phone number, I also use gmail and I think that is the preferred one from now on.

Comment

Well I've been using Yahoo for ages too, not happy about this change. I've got a Gmail account that I haven't really ever used so I thought I would log on and maybe start transferring across, and ......

Account security changes coming: Add your mobile phone

Google is introducing additional security measures to be used when we detect a suspicious sign-in attempt for your account. By adding your mobile phone to your Google account, you'll be able to pass these security measures easily and make it much harder for hijackers. Learn more about why this is so important

I give up

MK
        One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
        Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone, much appreciated.

I've already got a GMail account which I use for a very specific purpose – I have all of my domain emails forwarded to GMail so there is a double chance of receiving the email. GMail's spam filters are the best I've ever found, so I get all of my domain email in one place with the spam filtered out.

I use MailWasher to filter the spam out of the domain emails, but it isn't working properly. It is deleting emails from contacts which are on my white list and which should therefore be let straight through. There is a paid version of this software, but I wouldn't even think of upgrading while the free one isn't working properly. Sometimes I only receive important emails because of the forwarded copy to GMail.

So far, GMail's prompts to add the phone number have been very occasional, not enough to make it a problem. Yahoo demanded one every single time I had to log in. I hope this doesn't become a problem because the loss of GMail would cause several headaches, the most important being the loss of the copies of the domain email which is being eaten by the spam filters.

It is getting harder than ever to come up with an effective solution for managing email. I'll keep researching and see what I can find.

SH
          Last edited by ScabHunter; 9 October 2012, 20:29. Reason: Correction

Comment

What I've decided to do is close the two Yahoo accounts, and replace them with one from Zoho and one from Mail2World (thanks FP!). If they both work well, I'll just stick to that, but if one works noticeably better than the other then I'll delete the poorer one and open a second account of the better one.

I'll come back here if there is anything useful to report.

SH

Comment

Just stick yahoo contact number on it, then they call themselves
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I notice it on mine too - I click remind me till I get bored with it (junk filter is great, never had any spam fritters) as for hotmail, live.co.uk well it's like a Saturday night with drunks pouring out of the night clubs stuffing their faces with take always only to find on a Sunday morning the town is littered with crap and wrappers!

Comment

Working...
                X