GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Premium Rate Numbers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Premium Rate Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Rate Numbers

Hi all, I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem.
    I got my first bill from BT yesterday. On it was 7 premium rate calls to competition lines all at over a £1.00 each. After playing hell up with Mrs Handy she admitted to calling one of the numbers twice. Now this was one of the reasons I left BT last time because these calls kept appearing on my bill even at times when the house was shut up while we were on holiday .

Now I keep telling her if she must have a go at these competitions do it on line as its free. Or is it?

I did enter for her on line several times. When I checked the numbers with who calls me several other people were complaining that they had entered on line but had a charge of £1.15 appear on their bill.

I believe the missus, and I have to say that I believe all the telephone (land line) providers take part in this sort of scam.
    Over the last ten years I doubt if there has been more than a couple of months go past without a directory enquiry's or a premium rate charge appearing that no one can remember making.
    So therefore you don't challenge it after all it's only a fiver or so and you have no way of proving that it wasn't made from your house (even though your diary says you were out at 10:45 that day).

I can feel a case of complaint to Offcom coming on if I can get a few more examples of this happening.

Any comments on this matter or experiences of similar anyone has had would be a great help.

Regards all, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Re: Premium Rate Numbers

I imagine OFCOM would want you to have complained to BT first. Have you done this, and if so what did they say?

If my memory serves me correctly, you're another advocate of starting at the top. Have you contacted me old mukka Ian?

CEO: ian.livingston@bt.com

That would be my starting point before OFCOM.

Comment

Hi Boo, Sorry if you think that I wouldn't follow the chain of Command complaint. No I will take this up with BT first so that if it gets to Offcom I will have done everything correctly.

Something else that turned up on the bill was a directory enquiry's charge, now I know that neither me or the missus made that one. I allways use Thompson or Yell on line. Now Lady H on the other hand uses about £30 per month with 118500. I was convinced when I was with Squawk Squawk I was getting her charges. Strangely enough when I complained they refunded straight away.

Even when MIL was alive, bearing in mind her eyesight was so bad she couldn't see to dial and her hearing so bad she couldn't hear the television that well, she used to get spurious 118 and premium number calls on her bill.

My honest opinion is that either the providers or those companies that have premium rate numbers have a random way of hacking folks numbers. Just think if you could sting say 50,k numbers a month for £1.00 how many of those customers would notice and how many would complain?

Regards, Handy
      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

I was not for one moment suggesting you wouldn't contact BT first. I just vaguely remembered (or misremembered) you mentioning about starting at the top, so wanted to provide the e-mail addy!

We always complained about our bills with Sky due to this issue, but with a 15 year old daughter in the house, you can never be quite sure.

It will be interesting now we've just gone with BT to see if our experience echoes yours.

Comment

My bills with BT were always £200+ a quarter, now with Sky they are about £35/40 a mth

Comment

Hi Pomps, I worried when I switched because we make a lot of mobile calls. Our itinerant family don't have fixed abodes and I can't get Mrs H to use the mobile when calling them. My average bill with Talk Talk was @ £35. My first with BT bearing in mind I am on the 6 month free calls and £13.50 broadband deal was £75.00

The mobile calls I can cope with (she's got to learn to use the mobile) it's the other charges for calls that we didn't make I have issue with.

When you enter an ITV competition on line it's supposed to be free!
            It was when I did it on talk talk.
            Like I said when I had a fast look on line today a lot of other folk were making the same complaint.

Now when entering on line you have to give your phone number.
            Methinks a little test is in order.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Handy,

Certainly worth looking into, to be honest my bills were high with BT but I never gave it much thought to be honest and just paid it.

I no longer have the bills so ill see how you get on as it waybe worth a £10 for a SAR to get hold of the bills.

Comment

Working...
              X