GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RIP lappy - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP lappy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP lappy

Lappy has died.

I have tried CPR as per the St. Basil emergency method (for the technologically-challenged)...

No use, though!

So for the time being I will have to fight the kids to use their machine.
    (You'd think I had assassinated an Austrian-Hungarian Archduke, or tried to change channels in the middle of the Apprentice, or summat!!!)

Re: RIP lappy

My usual approach when things to wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Lappy has died.
      Have you tried running it with the battery removed?

Comment

It's died no doubt but let us know how it died and I'm sure someone on here will be able to help!

Comment

If you could post up here how its died i'll try and suggest everything i can think of that could help.

had a few die on me too. Oh the pain
          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Thanks folks!

It switches on, starts to 'boot', then gets stuck in a shutdown/restart cycle.

It's a Linux machine, Debian (I think!), & something about Gnu? (I got lost with technology when they stopped using beeswax tablets, lol)

OH has tried accessing a safe start mode, but no luck.

Someone else says it sounds like a motherf motherboard problem.

So, I am restricted in my time on forums (could be sabotage - an inside job - "All those chores around the house, etc.!!")

Comment

It switches on, starts to 'boot', then gets stuck in a shutdown/restart cycle.
              My computer did this a while back and my mate sorted it. Apparently, I had deleted on of the windows files?

Cant remember exactly how he did it, but it involved an external hard drive to use as a slave and get the computer to boot up. He then removed / saved files I needed, formatted and reinstalled the hard drive.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If you are not that technically savvy, then taking someone through recovering a Windows system via a forum is bad enough, let alone a linux one.

There are a few things you could do though.

Download a linux "live" CD and boot from that. If that boots and you can access the hard disk once the OS is running, then you will know your lappy hardware/motherboard is OK.

Who installed the OS for you? Some live CDs etc include recovery options, allowing re-installation of the bootloader or system repair, so they may be able to go that route?

Or on linux you can usually re-install the OS without deleting your personal info/settings, or you can use a live CD to back up personal data before wiping the lot. Assuming that it's not the hard disk that is irrecoverably trashed that is?
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sod it!!

Just written a long reply, was 'timed out', & lost the lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                    If you are not that technically savvy, then taking someone through recovering a Windows system via a forum is bad enough, let alone a linux one. My kids ask me if I remember the dinosaurs

There are a few things you could do though. Does it involve a hammer?

Download a linux "live" CD and boot from that. If that boots and you can access the hard disk once the OS is running, then you will know your lappy hardware/motherboard is OK. How do I download when the machine won't start?

Who installed the OS for you? Some live CDs etc include recovery options, allowing re-installation of the bootloader or system repair, so they may be able to go that route? It was original manufacturers
                    spec

Or on linux you can usually re-install the OS without deleting your personal info/settings, or you can use a live CD to back up personal data before wiping the lot. Assuming that it's not the hard disk that is irrecoverably trashed that is?
                    How does live cd work? (my ignorance truly has no boundary, lol)

Comment

Sod it!!

Just written a long reply, was 'timed out', & lost the lot!!

To avoid this you need to log in from the index page using top right corner log-in box and tick the "remember me" box. It doesn't remember your password it remembers you're logged in.

This stops timeouts.
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Why don't you go to pc world and speak to the tech desk/repair shop.

They'll fix it for around £70 - unless it's that old it's better to replace? Or send it to one of use techies on here and we'll reload the o/s for you (I'm sure).... Obviously for you to do anything you need a second machine (to download live)!
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          Why don't you go to pc world and speak to the tech desk/repair shop.

They'll fix it for around £70 - unless it's that old it's better to replace? Or send it to one of use techies on here and we'll reload the o/s for you (I'm sure).... Obviously for you to do anything you need a second machine (to download live)!

Thanks Niddy,

I've got WhateverHappens insurance on it - no 'repair route' as Currys & Asus have stopped selling Linux machines - now M/s only.
                          They will (maybe?) replace it, but I would lose all the data which I have saved. (It's an embedded flash drive, so not removable)

Comment

Has it got a CD drive? And if it does, have you got an external hard drive to back up personal data to?

Not sure PC world would know their arse from their elbow on a linux laptop. They are pretty incompetent on Windows ones, so I dread to think what they would do with a *nix one.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                              Has it got a CD drive? No, netbook (notebook) And if it does, have you got an external hard drive to back up personal data to? Apparently, external memory devices for these machines are rarer than hen's teeth, which is why I've not backed the data up - nothing to do with laziness

Not sure PC world would know their arse from their elbow on a linux laptop. They are pretty incompetent on Windows ones, so I dread to think what they would do with a *nix one.
                              Monkeys & peanuts?

Comment

Working...
                              X