GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Computer issues, no sleep for 2 days, finally fixed! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer issues, no sleep for 2 days, finally fixed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer issues, no sleep for 2 days, finally fixed!

Just thought id share the stress ive had over the last 2 days with our work PC.

Last week the computer kept shutting down randomly, yesterday, it would load to the point of the XP splash screen and just shut down.

I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out.

Went through all the usually checks.

Changed hard drive, same problem.
    Changed IDE Leads, same problem.
    Cleaned fans, removed dust from CPU.
    Changed PSU.
    Pulled all non esstential components, usb cables etc out, same problem.

I had thought it was a bios virus, but as they are very very rare, i didnt want to go down that route just yet, however i pulled the cmos battery out just incase.

It wasnt until i ran Ubuntu Live CD (i was going to mount the drive and grab all data i needed) that Ubuntu kindly told me the CPU was over heating.

All fans were working fine, no reason to overheat, so could only conclude the Motherboard had packed up, quite an old pc so wasnt suprising.

Had another hard drive with backup data, so i thought great, get a new pc, restore the system backups, everything will be fine. Nope.

New PC's these days, have SATA hard drives, very lucky to find one with an IDE port. which i couldnt, so my only other option was to be an IDE to SATA Adaptor.

Spent the whole day trying to get it to work with no luck what so ever.

Took it back for a refund, bought myself a hard drive enclosure, and connected it via usb to the new pc.

And Ta Da! was able to grab all my data and add it back to the new pc software.

I wish i had thought of that first.

So because of the apprent overheating, the pc was shutting down right about the time windows was loading.

If it wasnt for Ubuntu i would never have worked out the problem.

I dred to think what would have happend, had i lost all my business client details, client tax returns, accounts, and payroll files. Prob would have been the end of me!.

Had 5 hours sleep in last 2 days, can finally calm down, feel like a wreck!
    Last edited by SXGuy; 10 October 2012, 12:39.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Computer issues, no sleep for 2 days, finally fixed!

Glad you got it sorted - you don't miss them until they don't work!

Comment

just goes to show, doesnt matter if you make backups, not 100% gaurentee you can use them again.

Funny thing is, when i went to PC world, i had to teach them about computers, the guy had no clue what i wanted, he had to unscrew all their boxes so i could see if it had the right connections.

I told him id buy an adaptor, and he was like, oh ok, like he didnt know what one was.

They are a joke.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hmm I have great fun with PC world.....one afternoon really suprised me asking for blank blu ray discs..poor guy tried to sell me a spindle of dvd rws

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
          Hmm I have great fun with PC world.....one afternoon really suprised me asking for blank blu ray discs..poor guy tried to sell me a spindle of dvd rws
          LOL sounds about right.

Maplins have more knowledge to be honest.

Comment

Hmm debatable....i've 2 maplin stores here and both are pretty poor tbh

did a reserve and collect a while ago for an SSD drive went to collect and staff had no clue what id ordered, not the 1st time as well though you reserve go to store & they've not picked the order (I do leave the allotted time they tell me to!)

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              just goes to show, doesnt matter if you make backups, not 100% gaurentee you can use them again.
              Very true although i have had a good success rate restoring pc's and servers using Acronis products. Saves a lot of time re-installing the OS and restoring data!

Glad you got it sorted! Ubuntu is amazing for diagnostics!
              Last edited by SA Gold; 10 October 2012, 13:49.
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Best place for miles around now there stuff and ultra quick delivery.

PC Components, Desktop PCs, Laptops, LCD TVs Computer Hardware

Comment

I know you found the root cause in the end but IME i have found that RAM has caused the same issues.

Stuck in Constant reboot cycle until i've replaced all RAM Modules.

Been rather annnoying as like you have spent many many hours pulling hair out
                  I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post

Always found them very good as well. Although not used them for some time now.

Comment

There expansion continues as they have many happy customers including me I have used them for years from when they very first set up from a small high street shop.
                      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 10 October 2012, 14:56.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        LOL sounds about right.

Maplins have more knowledge to be honest.

Thought you meant Hi de Hi lol

Comment

Best way to back-up is via secure third party back up or slave (external) HDD.

A back up on the same pc (even on a partition) is pointless if the drive ever dies

We'll be offering forum users a slice of symantec secured (ssl) cloud as personal storage in the coming weeks once we finalise our new services - but as a business you really ought to have a one-touch back up drive external to your main pc. Just plug in the drive, press a button and it backs up whatever you pre-determined, such as all business accounts etc
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post

I use Scan

Just bought (Sunday) a new Sata drive 2.5" HDD for lappy that is £78 everywhere. Scan did it for £30. It came yesterday so next day delivery too

--> Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              I use Scan

Just bought (Sunday) a new Sata drive 2.5" HDD for lappy that is £78 everywhere. Scan did it for £30. It came yesterday so next day delivery too

--> Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk
                              do you have a link for that harddrive as need to replace a lappy one soon
                              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X