GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Outgoing Mail servers and ports - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outgoing Mail servers and ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outgoing Mail servers and ports

Need two bits of advice
    First off, I have my laptop and an android phone (samsung galaxy ace).
    My email ISP is talktalk as is my email but most of the time my phone is connected via vodafone and my laptop to a Sky connection (OH has sky).
    I use windows live mail as my mail client (I have about 5 different email addresses)

Up until yesterday I used gmail as my outgoing mail server but by chance I found out that by setting my outgoing mail server to ask for authentication and using my talktalk account details I can send emails without google. However the default outgoing port is 25 but it seems that port doesn't work but 465 or 587 does. I don't understand and want to.

Similarly my Mum has just bought an Ipad and plusnet (her isp) have said that she needs to tick the requires password on the outgoing mail server to be able to send emails when on another ISP. Will port 25 work for her or is there a different one.
    I really just don't understand it

Ta

Re: Outgoing Mail servers and ports

Many ISPs are blocking what is called "Port 25" which is the port used to send e-mail. They are doing this to cut down on the amount of spam that is sent from their networks.
    All e-mail sent via the Internet is routed through the port 25, the channel used for communication between an e-mail client and an e-mail server. Even though port 25 blocking will probably become an industry standard, however, the filter can create problems for e-mail servers and block legitimate e-mail as well as spam.
    Port 25 blocking allows ISPs to block spam sent out through their networks, but it tends to punish the innocent that have a need to send through e-mail servers other than those belonging to their ISP. The ISPs that block port 25 require their SMTP server to be used instead of the remote SMTP server or a SMTP server running on your computer.

So basically, if you try to use your talk talk account to send emails using from gmail it wont work
    Last edited by SXGuy; 23 September 2012, 19:56.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

O2 say they don't block port 25 but I cannot send emails via o2 when connected to my VPN- solution was to use Gmail tied to my pop3 account and hey presto, problem solved.

Comment

Well with my talktalk email if i set my outgoing mail server to smtp.talktalk.net, click on the needs authentication and add my talktalk account username and password it will send from port 587 or 465 but not from 25

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
          Well with my talktalk email if i set my outgoing mail server to smtp.talktalk.net, click on the needs authentication and add my talktalk account username and password it will send from port 587 or 465 but not from 25
          That is generally because Port 25 is an open port that most servers will use to make an initial connection. If the server requires authentication then it will invoke TLS but as SXGuy mentioned, a lot of providers are now blocking port 25, even VPS and VPN providers are blocking this port to stop spam. So if your ISP is going to use authentication (a lot do these days) then they will use Port 587 which is a submission port rather than 25 as the latter as mentioned can be blocked.

The problem is that spammers used to relay email via 25 and this is not what it's setup for; it should never be used to relay. This lack of security caused the issues we get with spam and that's why they block it.

I find a lot of mail providers offer IMAP these days on 143 for normal and 993 for secure.
          Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

All double dutch to me i am afraid mauijim, but thank you. I am using port587 on my tablet and laptop with my outgoing mail server as smtp.talktalk.net and my usual log in. Doesn't seem to make a difference if it is secure or not but so long as it works

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              All double dutch to me i am afraid mauijim, but thank you. I am using port587 on my tablet and laptop with my outgoing mail server as smtp.talktalk.net and my usual log in. Doesn't seem to make a difference if it is secure or not but so long as it works
              The change came because 25 isn't secure so when a PC is infected with a virus the hacker can then send thousands of emails via your port 25 and it seems like you're the culprit!!
              Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X