Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damp

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Damp

    Have any of you ever experienced DAMP in your homes?

    It seems its happening with my son's wall, not matter what we do, cleaning his one bedroom wall by the window down using this stuff for damp, the vents are left open and his windows ajar too each day!
    But within 2 weeks its coming back.
    Any DIY experts out there please? Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Re: Damp

    If the Room is well aired and ventilated and you say it is a bedroom. I take it that this is upstairs (not a bungalow) Then the damp will be what we call penatrating, which means water is getting in from pointing between the bricks, the side of the window or from the roof.

    Next time it rains have a look outside to see if water runs down the wall, could be coming from a blocked or leaky gutter. Normally damp patches on upstairs walls are caused this way. Occasionally you will get a patch that starts up near the ceiling and works down, localised to one spot or corner. You need to get into the loft and look for water marks along the roofing trusses. Sometimes the water instead of dropping down onto the ceiling below will run down the timber and make its way into the wall cavity.

    Sorry for the essay, If you can have a look and get back to me with where you think it may come from, I will suggest best cure.

    Regards, Handy.
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Damp

      Handy you could just run over that bridge and be there in half hour, to fix it for her!!

      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

      If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Damp

        Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        If the Room is well aired and ventilated and you say it is a bedroom. I take it that this is upstairs (not a bungalow) Then the damp will be what we call penatrating, which means water is getting in from pointing between the bricks, the side of the window or from the roof.

        Next time it rains have a look outside to see if water runs down the wall, could be coming from a blocked or leaky gutter. Normally damp patches on upstairs walls are caused this way. Occasionally you will get a patch that starts up near the ceiling and works down, localised to one spot or corner. You need to get into the loft and look for water marks along the roofing trusses. Sometimes the water instead of dropping down onto the ceiling below will run down the timber and make its way into the wall cavity.

        Sorry for the essay, If you can have a look and get back to me with where you think it may come from, I will suggest best cure.

        Regards, Handy.

        Wow thanks Handy

        You were very quick and are very helpful too.

        These houses were built in around 1954, and yes your correct its a house, and its only the one bedroom that is getting the damp,, we are one from the end as we live in a mid link property, and it seems the damp is at the lower of the wall, but yes we will check on those things you suggested.
        Thank you so much, your a star.

        Di
        x

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Damp

          Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Handy you could just run over that bridge and be there in half hour, to fix it for her!!

          LMAO, now why didn't I think of that one lol

          Poor Handy. lol x

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Damp

            Talking to hubby, we don't have any cavity on these houses, and my son's bedroom is the one where the tank is kept, there is no radiator in his bedroom either, its a VERY small box room.

            We do intend of having the tank removed once we updated to a combi boiler.
            Could having the tank in the bedroom be a cause perhaps?
            Its actually based in a cupboard in his bedroom.

            Thanks.

            Di
            X

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Damp

              and out of curiosity handy...we're in a bungalow having the same issues bathroom & our bedroom, fitted a humidifan in the bathroom doing all the usual stuff yet the mould still comes back..i've lost count the number of washes the ceilings have had so far

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Damp

                Hi all, It's been one heck of a day. Di, you could be right about the tank? Philnicandamy, you sound like you have a different type of damp. I will reply tomorrow when I have a little more time.

                Damp can be a sod to get rid off but there are diy ways you can cure or at least improve things.
                My cottage is lousy with it but the reason I cant fix it is down to my Landlady.

                At least now you know I've seen your post and will get back asap.

                Best wishes to all, Handy.
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Damp

                  I watched new homes from hell last week, there was something on about rising damp, think it was that the outside walls were lower than the foundations.( is that right handy or were the walls higher?) anyway they attached a sheet ( it looked like plasterboard but it wasn't) it was special damp proof sheets that they used in the channel tunnel.

                  Gerry x x
                  Last edited by Gerry; 1st March 2011, 00:10.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Damp

                    Thanks Handy, I have a feeling its something to do with having a warm tank in his bedroom, when we take this out, hopfully end of Spring going into the Summer there will be a difference I'm sure.
                    Will keep an eye on it and keep you posted, thanks so much and no overdoing it now ok, I can see your rushed. XX

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Damp

                      Hi Di. Could be the warm tank and Cold air causing local condensation. If so the damp patch will be close to the tank. I have several Damp issues in my cottage. After we moved the Kitchen to the Living Room and Vice Versa we got a problem with condensation in the downstairs loo and shower.

                      Warm moist air hits the cold cistern and there is nearly always a pool of water on the floor. All we can do is keep a good draft flowing through and open plenty of windows when cooking. Problem is I hate paying out to heat the outside air.

                      At some point I will (Cheat) plumb the cistern to a mixer valve to let warm water in and change the cistern for a built in one which I can insulate.

                      You mentioned the mold, the best thing for clearing it is peroxide, you can by a peroxide and fungicide mix from the builders merchants. Careful when using this won't cure it but if you paint it over with Rustins stain stop it will hold it back for a while.

                      If you have damp coming through the pointing from outside you cam buy a paint on clear silicon solution that will waterproof the bricks and mortar. I believe Lidles have some on offer this week @14.00 for a 2 1/2 liter can.

                      Hope some of this helps, Handy.
                      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                      Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Damp

                        Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Hi Di. Could be the warm tank and Cold air causing local condensation. If so the damp patch will be close to the tank. I have several Damp issues in my cottage. After we moved the Kitchen to the Living Room and Vice Versa we got a problem with condensation in the downstairs loo and shower.

                        Warm moist air hits the cold cistern and there is nearly always a pool of water on the floor. All we can do is keep a good draft flowing through and open plenty of windows when cooking. Problem is I hate paying out to heat the outside air.

                        At some point I will (Cheat) plumb the cistern to a mixer valve to let warm water in and change the cistern for a built in one which I can insulate.

                        You mentioned the mold, the best thing for clearing it is peroxide, you can by a peroxide and fungicide mix from the builders merchants. Careful when using this won't cure it but if you paint it over with Rustins stain stop it will hold it back for a while.

                        If you have damp coming through the pointing from outside you cam buy a paint on clear silicon solution that will waterproof the bricks and mortar. I believe Lidles have some on offer this week @14.00 for a 2 1/2 liter can.

                        Hope some of this helps, Handy.

                        Amazing advice Handy thank you so much.

                        It seems to make lots of sense, and will take your tips on as well, I really do appreciate this Handy a BIG THANKS again. XX

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Damp

                          Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                          I watched new homes from hell last week, there was something on about rising damp, think it was that the outside walls were lower than the foundations.( is that right handy or were the walls higher?) anyway they attached a sheet ( it looked like plasterboard but it wasn't) it was special damp proof sheets that they used in the channel tunnel.

                          Gerry x x
                          Hi Gerry your right. Rising damp is when moisture is drawn from the ground up through the structure by osmosis or evaporation. (OK so I'm a smart alec know it all).
                          Usually because there is no damp course, the damp course has broken down or because someone has laid a path, patio or heaped the garden up above the damp course level.

                          On foundations where the inside level of the floor or cellar is below the level of the outside ground you use a waterproof membrane (often called Tanking) that's where your sheets come in.

                          The only reason I know so much about it is that my cottage is lousy with damp. As it is a tied property I can't do sod all about it. I could cure it for @1.500 but Lady Hooray won't let me cut down the Wisteria and Ivy that covers one of the gable ends, to cut away the render to silicon inject a damp course.

                          When we did the 750k extension to the Hall, the foundations along the rear wall all had to be tanked to a height of 1.5 meters as the rear windows are only 100mm above ground level.

                          I rate architects in the same category as solicitors. lol.

                          Regards, Handy.
                          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Damp

                            Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            Hi Gerry your right. Rising damp is when moisture is drawn from the ground up through the structure by osmosis or evaporation. (OK so I'm a smart alec know it all).
                            Usually because there is no damp course, the damp course has broken down or because someone has laid a path, patio or heaped the garden up above the damp course level.

                            On foundations where the inside level of the floor or cellar is below the level of the outside ground you use a waterproof membrane (often called Tanking) that's where your sheets come in.

                            The only reason I know so much about it is that my cottage is lousy with damp. As it is a tied property I can't do sod all about it. I could cure it for @1.500 but Lady Hooray won't let me cut down the Wisteria and Ivy that covers one of the gable ends, to cut away the render to silicon inject a damp course.

                            When we did the 750k extension to the Hall, the foundations along the rear wall all had to be tanked to a height of 1.5 meters as the rear windows are only 100mm above ground level.

                            I rate architects in the same category as solicitors. lol.

                            Regards, Handy.
                            You and i could chat for hours handy i absolutely love DIY, I've got a shed load of tools, I can spend hours in DIY shops. I'm just a tiny wee thing but i tackle any job, taking doors off, fitting skirting tiling i love it and i always read up on a job before starting.

                            Gerry x

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Damp

                              Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                              You and i could chat for hours handy i absolutely love DIY, I've got a shed load of tools, I can spend hours in DIY shops. I'm just a tiny wee thing but i tackle any job, taking doors off, fitting skirting tiling i love it and i always read up on a job before starting.

                              Gerry x
                              Sorry I missed replying sooner. I'm not really a builder but I have loads of DIY experience and loads of mates in the building trade. If I don't have an answer I can probably find someone who does.

                              Doing the job yourself can be very satisfying, not to mention how much you can save. That's how I learned most of what I know, it needed doing and the only affordable way was to get the sleeves rolled up and get on with it.

                              So to the point, if anyone has a DIY question, anything from changing a fuse to planning applications, lets post it up and see if together we cant come up with a solution.

                              Regards, Handy.
                              Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                              Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X