GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Shopping around for breakdown cover... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping around for breakdown cover...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping around for breakdown cover...

Having received notification from RAC last week that my renewal premium would be over £200 for 2 vehicles , minus a "discount" (yeah right) which brought it down to £197, I have just joined the AA and RAC have lost my custom. Apparently their online deals are only for new customers. Sod the old ones then.... so Merry Christmas to you too RAC!

A similar policy with AA was around £75 less. They also included free Home Emergency Cover for the first year and going through Top Cashback, I should get a tidy sum back as well.

No doubt I'll probably have a similar experience with AA once renewal time approaches....

Result for now though....
    Last edited by PriorityOne; 25 December 2011, 20:51.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Shopping around for breakdown cover...

Yeah I got Green flag to me -- With my bank account it was worth the money for the breakdown...

Comment

Interesting P1. I've just had my renewal through from Green Flag who I've been with for years with two vehicles. It has increased from just over £120 to £186 per year - a phenomenal and unacceptable increase.

I'll be taking it up with Green Flag, not that it will get me anywhere. I'll also be searching for new cover and the AA sounds a reasonable option.

I am at a loss to understand Green Flag - I've been a customer for over ten years, called them out once in the early days and that's it. So much for loyalty!

Comment

i was with RAC, now with AA after one year. Not because of their prices, but because of their truly abysmal customer service - thats the call centre and managers rather than the patrols.

As for Green Flag, that was a no go - over £220 for two vehicles as was based on their age!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Geez... thats a lot Actually I got the sons breakdown through Aviva! when i bought his insurance it was like 30.00 for the year (1997 nissan almera)

Do you guys have the option on your bank accounts? even at 15.00 a month thats only 180.00 per year!

Comment

Sadly bank account is not an option for those of us with basic accounts.

Comment

Well.... two people (myself and daughter) with cover in any vehicle was £134 with the AA.... AND I've also got £50 cashback coming by going through TopCashback.

It doesn't pay to keep on being a member of anywhere, to be honest. I've been taking out new car insurance policies for years due to cheaper online deals and sometimes, it's been with the same company, who don't seem to care about me doing this.

RAC (breakdown cover) however won't let people do that.... so they only have themselves to blame when people find cheaper deals and cancel membership.

Remember the mantra:

Comment

We have the van with Aviva Premier Van Club and breakdown is included. The car is with "The Post Office" scheme. The breakdown quote in with their insurance was £60 this last year (April 2011) however it now gets thrown in with the bank account with LloydsTSB like jen says so we have that and save on the insurance premium.

Don't know thw breakdown of each item on the account but in total for all of the bits and pieces it costs £17 a month.

regards
                Garlok

Comment

There seem to be a few good options out there.... I just needed to make sure my daughter was covered for going to and from uni. (as well as me) but the RAC renewal price is just plain ridiculous.

Happy Boxing Day people... !!
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

Garlok,

Just be sure the cover with the bank is a like for like policy with the main competitors

Comment

Yeah even with a basic account you can also look at getting it from them.
                      --sometimes they will just sell a product. Also the companies offer discounts if you hold accounts with XYZ
                      but, I found with some breakdown they insure the DRIVER not the car which is fantastic! I know my policy says I can be a driver or a passenger in the car that breaksdown.

Comment

Well here we go again....

Just had an email re. my daughter's car insurance. Renewal price quoted as £619, yet a new policy quote with the same company is £523 .

Alternative quote somewhere else (exactly the same details) £372 + £40 cashback through TopCashback.

No prizes for guessing which one wins here then.....
                        Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                          Garlok,

Just be sure the cover with the bank is a like for like policy with the main competitors
                          Hi PF,

Got Mrs G to check this out and surprisingly enough the specifications for the breakdown cover are identical to the ones offered by the insurers ( the Post Office) and the same as the van which is with aviva premier Van Club.

Mind you the account is a Platinum one which they changed us onto when we took our private pensions last year.

regards
                          Garlok

Comment

I just managed to get my car and Motorhome covered with Recovery (not Homestart) and limited to 6 call outs per year for £39. I thought that was pretty good. 6 call outs is a risk, but I'd only used Green Flag twice in over 10 years, and on one of those occasions I told them the fault to make sure they came with the right part.

Comment

Oh just thought id say ASDA are doing breakdown cover!

Comment

Working...
                              X