GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DVLA Changing Your Address - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVLA Changing Your Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Changing Your Address

Just a little tip.

In these days of tax being cancelled when a vehicle is transferred this is quite important.

If you move house and return your V5C (logbook) to DVLA to make an address change don't write your name into section 6, or tick any of the boxes. Don't fill in the date of transfer either. Just write the new address.

That way it won't get added as a new keeper in error and the tax won't be cancelled.

Same goes if they've made a mistake in spelling - Make sure you highlight (a lot!) the error in section 5 and just write the correct bit that needs to be changed into section 6.
    Last edited by Disastra; 13 July 2016, 17:29. Reason: Additonal tip

Re: DVLA Changing Your Address

I'm just about to do mine in the next week or so....thanks
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sold a van to a motor trader in May, sent forms off. Direct debit for tax charged in June, and again in July. Have written to them 2 weeks ago, no reply yet. Have asked them to cancel direct debit and refund charges.

Comment

Sorry to say they won't refund June or July. Their rule is they only refund full months left after the date they receive your letter. Cancel the DD with your bank.

You should get a confirmation letter in 2 weeks. Look out for it because otherwise if they didn't get your letter and you stay on the record they'll start chasing you for the remainder of the DD.

The only way you can get them to even consider refunding June/July would be if you used tracked post to send the forms back and give them the tracking code to show it was delivered to them in May.

For future reference use the Doc Ref Number from the logbook here https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y to tell them the vehicle's been sold. That way it is digitally recorded and the date is there instantly. They can't argue with that.

Comment

Working...
        X