GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Originally posted by IF View Post
    Di have you PM'd jen_br ? She knows all about the car business side of things

Thank you, I appreciate it :-) x

Comment

Hi Di,
      From what you say, Peugeot are now involved? I hope I can help you with this but will need specific details, who has done what and the latest problem.
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
        Hi Di,
        From what you say, Peugeot are now involved? I hope I can help you with this but will need specific details, who has done what and the latest problem.
        Hiya and cheers.

Something got us thinking today and someone said it being a customs/universal part shouldnt make that much difference really to the main dealer of Peugeot part, and that my son should insist to get the vehicle changed now instead of waiting for the problem to happen again (with it being the 5th time) I would lose trust by now too, its only been about 4 months since having the car and its every few short weeks, and paying for a car where you are anxiously thinking when it will happen again.

My son due to one of his old jobs used to be a driver for a garage, so he has experience with driving many vehicles, but this is the first time ever since he's had this car that he's felt anxious/worried. As his current job involves on-call he requires a good reliable vehicle (he is a Co-ordinator/manager for the health field) where it involved elderly people.
        I know your not able to predict whats to come and it happens, but the fact the misleading advert of "Very reliable car" good runner, cheap little runner, excellent condition etc, then you rely on this. Luckily my son still has details of the ADVERT.

As my son lost trust, he wants to double check himself with Peugoet of the information he was told from the dealer that said he contacted them on his behalf, and was informed that having the main Peugoet part should fix the problem instead of the Custom part that the previous garage put on.

So I take it it must be then same old problem (but can we rely on it).

When he was told Peugeot are involved, its just that my son was told that the dealer had contacted them for the info and that was when they supposed to have said about using custom parts. But my son needs to make sure that call was made and wants to be told this info personally by them, in case the dealer is trying to prolong the issue of replacing the vehicle.

Its doing my head in now to be honest, going round in circles lol.

Cheers. :-)

Comment

Hi Di I know a lot about peugeot without going through 7 pages give me a run down

Comment

Hi Jen
            And thank you.

Basically my son Jamie traded in his old Corsa which was petrol for a Peugeot 207 16HDI (Turbo), so his car was part of the deposit and £100 from debit card and the remaining through "Close Motor Finance".
            It wasnt actually purchased through the direct dealer of Peugoet but a garage not too far from us called Motorplus-South Wales.

He purchased his car at the start of June and to date now it breaks down, where the first time it happened it was just a week from when he purchased it.

On diagnosis it was put down to the Master Cylinder, so it was covered by the warranty - job done. Approx a fortnight on, it happened again, same problem.
            So fixed again and was told the part must have been faulty that they had put on. - job fixed.

Again it broke down in London, so it was left in London and he had to find his way back on train transport for himself and passengers (Despite the fact that warranty should have covered for both breakdown and repair under gold) he did also update his breakdown but it didnt come into affect until afterwards.
            So the guy in the garage in London fixed it but this time Slave Cylinder (please bear with me, I may have these parts the wrong way round), so it was collected after job done but the guy in London said further investigations are required in regards of the Clutch but as my son had to pay out first then a week on warranty paid the amount back directly to my son.

So it was it was brought back home and taken to the garage suggested (from the dealer where he purchased the car) a few miles away from him. It was advised that warranty come to inspect, so they did so almost 2 weeks on (approx).

(I shall post up the copy of the report if required) as they sent it in the post not long ago on request.

Jen I could go on forever really lol!!

But the fact that my son been more without his car than with, and paying out of pocket expenses etc........

Anyway, my son was on call on Thurs (as part of his job) this was early evening, thankfully he wasnt far from where his girlfiend's family live, but it broken down again.
            My son obviously tamping but kept his cool had rang the dealer up to say problem not solved. The message was left with his colleagues as he was informed the dealer wasnt there, but to call the following day!

So yesterday my son made contact to the dealer again and the dealer said, he had contacted the Manufacturer and said about the recurring problem, and was told that Custom parts are not good for this type of car and it must be fitted with the main manufacturer part.
            My son said enough is enough, he has travelling to do soon to London and can't rely on it, so wants a replacement. He was then told to get the car in to them and they will get the manufactered part fitted and if it goes again they will replace the car for him.

My son isnt home much and at the moment borrowing a petrol vehicle, so I am not sure if he's yet made contact with Peugoet himself about this.

Long and twisted sorry Jen, but its doing our heads in now lol!!

Thanks hun x

Comment

........oh his car is run on diesel x

Comment

Right leave me with this... I know that dealer well. as I part time live in wales. I may go with your son

Comment

Thank you Jen X

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                    Right leave me with this... I know that dealer well. as I part time live in wales. I may go with your son
                    That's very sweet of you
                    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post

Brilliant, thanks from me too Jen
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Appreciated big time :-)

Thank you too IF :-)

Comment

Hi Di,

Sorry i haven't been around over the weekend, its been manic with one thing and the other.
                          Totally understand your Son loosing all faith in the car - he's certainly had more than his fair share of hassle with it.

As for the main dealer/versus part factor parts - several companies make parts (such as clutch components) and supplier them to the vehicle manufacturers. You often see parts labelled "OEM" - original equipment manufacturer. This means that a brand has been chosen (by Peugeot in this case). Its better to look for this, than some cheaper parts which may be of less quality.

When vehicle manufacturers are aware of problems, they often have a modified part to resolve them - in this case, it may well be a different specification clutch plate/slave cylinder.

The benefit of a main dealer repair is they are aware of any "hot-fixes" and will have the technical updates readily available. The parts are also found from the vehicle's chassis number allowing them to be a bit more granular (although not always necessary)

Other than the hassle with the clutch, is your Son otherwise happy with it? Was it a good price, and otherwise OK?

Cheers

SA
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                            Hi Di,

Sorry i haven't been around over the weekend, its been manic with one thing and the other.
                            Totally understand your Son loosing all faith in the car - he's certainly had more than his fair share of hassle with it.

As for the main dealer/versus part factor parts - several companies make parts (such as clutch components) and supplier them to the vehicle manufacturers. You often see parts labelled "OEM" - original equipment manufacturer. This means that a brand has been chosen (by Peugeot in this case). Its better to look for this, than some cheaper parts which may be of less quality.

When vehicle manufacturers are aware of problems, they often have a modified part to resolve them - in this case, it may well be a different specification clutch plate/slave cylinder.

The benefit of a main dealer repair is they are aware of any "hot-fixes" and will have the technical updates readily available. The parts are also found from the vehicle's chassis number allowing them to be a bit more granular (although not always necessary)

Other than the hassle with the clutch, is your Son otherwise happy with it? Was it a good price, and otherwise OK?

Cheers

SA
                            Thank you SA

Very interesting. I havent a clue about cars myself, mechanically!

Jamie loves the car, he is so gutted and hope it doesnt come to replacing it, yet he is wary of it happening again.

I wonder if it could all be down to the flywheel after all that? This will be the 5th fix and its in today.

He shall be travelling to London in a weeks time, thankfully he has an international breakdown now.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post

I wonder if it could all be down to the flywheel after all that? This will be the 5th fix and its in today.
                              Hi Di,

It certainly could be. The flywheel is a big wheel bolted to the engine which holds the clutch assembly. The gearbox shaft slides in the middle of the clutch plate.

The problem is its one of those components that wouldn't necessarily get checked unless it looked untoward when the clutch was taken off. However, if there is a modified clutch assembly - this may require a different flywheel.

Not sure if that helps at all. The thing with cars is there is literally so much to go wrong. I remember vehicles coming in for specified repairs and the customer would swear blind it had caused another problem. Sometimes this could be possible, sometimes there would be no way, but its very difficult to convince people who nothing about hpw these things work.

Hope this is now the final fix. Hopefully they are aware of the hassle and will have given it to one of the better technicians to repair and give a decent road test before handing it back.

If there is anything you think i can help with, please let me know.

Cheers

SA

Comment

Thank you again SA :-)

I've not seen my son for most of this week, but his car is still in and its only today the parts were ordered. Ok I dont know the full details as yet, but just briefly since his car's gone back in again.

What I do know is that its now been told that there is a leak coming off one of the pipes from the slave cylinder (something like that) and they today ordered the parts from Peugoet.
                                I know its in the same area of the clutch.

However, going back to the flywheel, I understand this was taken off a little time ago (think I posted a piccie on this thread some time ago), not sure if thats the flywheel though, as said i know nothing of what is what on cars lol.

When I get 5 mins, if you want me to, I can post up the report that came back from the RAC warranty? (Do you remember some weeks back his car was inspected by an inspector from the RAC warranty dept)? Well I now have copy of the report. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X