GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    It could actually be the "Flywheel" yep so a costly job!!
    For info

A flywheel is the part the clutch bolts to. The flywheel will not be the problem, however it could be damaged by a faulty clutch.

The usual time a flywheel goes faulty is if it is a dual mass flywheel and the coupling has excess play, car will sound like a bag of spanners when letting up the clutch if that is the case.

But the gearbox needs to be removed in any case, the authority for g/box removal should have been asked for a while back and the job proceeded with imo.

Comment

Thank you Bricktop

Yep I remember some time back when we had our Focus flywheel replaced, that involves clutch etc, it cost us directly with the Ford dealer just over £1250, we did have a bit of a discount though, so we never actually paid all that, thankfully.

Right an update, the garage where my son is keeping the car, the guy was actually speaking directly to the dealer (in front of hubby) as my son is on call, so hubby went to find out what is going on. The guy at the garage was actually or practically having a go at the dealer, and said it should be the dealer lending out the car and not them (even though they didnt mind, coz we actually know the guy who works in the garage as well, so that helped).

It's now in the hands of the finance team, where its been said they are to take the car apart (where necessary) to see what the problem could be, as this time they MUST get it right. We should have some news on Monday now, so fingers crossed. (So flywheel, clutch or whatever really, best to get it thoroughly checked) before getting the job done!

Apparantely the guy at the garage said he's had a few issues with the dealer now and had enough, more sharp words were said, best not to repeat them really lol, but as long as the job gets done properly then there be it. My son has had hardly any use of the car since he had it.

Comment

Hubby working afternoons today, so he decided to check to see what is going on with my son's car. My son is working away for a few days, so unable to deal with it, but he did contact me yesterday to say he been leaving messages with the garage on answer-phone to ask for an update but no-one getting back to him, so I tried later in the day yesterday too, again no joy.

So with that, hubby decided to take a trip there himself, so he can see for himself.

What the owner/boss said who has my son's car is that, he did speak to the finance team on Monday, and they said to go ahead by taking this apart etc, around the clutch area I assume, and then as soon as they done that, they have to contact the finance team in order to send the accessor to them.

Now this isnt my thing, but does any of you folks know if this how it works? (Remember this is not going to be dealt with under the warranty) but as my son have had 3 breakdowns in less than 2 months of having the car, something is not right, so it could be the fact that "it may not be fit for purpose" but apparantely its no longer drivable at this stage, despite the fact he managed to get back from London, that was pushing it too.

Comment

I think this is going "tits up" to be honest!!

Will update later. Think its time I stuck my nose in lol!

Comment

Hi Di,
            I have just picked up on this thread, sorry to hear of your sons agro with this.

As a time-served (main dealer) mechanic i can say that this really depends on the warranty company and level of cover.

With regards to the clutch master cylinder failing three times, it is highly likely this is because of a fault further down the line (as suggested).
            I suspect what is happening here is a warranty claim is taking place on the master cylinder via the manufacturer and not the three month warranty for the car so to speak.

If you want to send me a copy of the warranty policy i will take a look over the weekend and come back to you.

3rd party warranties and companies are very good at covering nothing, and also getting out of things too im afraid to say.

Cheers
            Missy
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
              Hi Di,
              I have just picked up on this thread, sorry to hear of your sons agro with this.

As a time-served (main dealer) mechanic i can say that this really depends on the warranty company and level of cover.

With regards to the clutch master cylinder failing three times, it is highly likely this is because of a fault further down the line (as suggested).
              I suspect what is happening here is a warranty claim is taking place on the master cylinder via the manufacturer and not the three month warranty for the car so to speak.

If you want to send me a copy of the warranty policy i will take a look over the weekend and come back to you.

3rd party warranties and companies are very good at covering nothing, and also getting out of things too im afraid to say.

Cheers
              Missy
              Hi Missy

Thank you for that ;-)

My son has hold of his details at the moment, but will get them from him to get them up on here.

I did speak to Trading Standards last week (sent them a copy of the advert) excellent conditon etc, all the high comments made on the car of when it was sold, and details of the situation, who did say they are used to dealing with these matters, and it does sound like my son has a good leg to stand on, but at first we need to see what happens once the car is stripped and assessed and go from there.

Its just taking some time at the moment. The awful thing about it is he not had it long and the fact that its already been changed 3 times and I think the garage should have checked the problem more thoroughly before it happened again.
              However with the time going on the warranty will be due to run out by the start of next month.

I will post up details when I have them from my son, thanks again ;-)

Comment

Given the short length of time even if the warranty didn't cover it (which I suspect it won't) this should fall under the sales of goods act 'fit for purpose' should it not ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  Given the short length of time even if the warranty didn't cover it (which I suspect it won't) this should fall under the sales of goods act 'fit for purpose' should it not ?
                  Quite possibly. I don't know much about the sale of goods act although i know of lots of people p!ssed off with warranty companies. Warranties with a new car from the manufacturer are far more comprehensive than the ones used car sales and third party companies use sadly.
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Used car warranties cover against 'sudden mechanical failure' - when a used car has done 60K+ miles that sudden mechanical failure is more often than not down to wear and tear.

Comment

Thank you for your input folks.

Today my son was sent pics of the car taken apart, the "Pressure plate" doesnt look good, he has to see them tomorrow, see what they say over the garage if he can get away from work.
                      So basically, he not had the car for a fortnight when it broken down then again 2 weeks on and so........not good for that to happen is it? With 3 clutch parts already changed, two by the same garage and the other in London. You would have thought thorough checks the second time round would lead to the mechanics to find the problem of it happening again, after all my son is not a mechanic.......LOL!!

Right some pics......
                      Attached Files

Comment

What do you think of the pressure plate condition pic above guys please?

Link here to Sales goods of act etc..
                        http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/markets-work/cars

Comment

Hi Di,
                          Pressure plate (first picture) looks pretty tired and battered. Is this the original clutch i take it?

Comment

Hi Di,
                            Pressure plate (first picture) looks pretty tired and battered. Is this the original clutch i take it?
                            Yes I think so Missy. We were working it out, he had it for just one week when it first broke down and out of almost 3 months of having the car, he's had about almost 4 scattered weeks out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              Yes I think so Missy. We were working it out, he had it for just one week when it first broke down and out of almost 3 months of having the car, he's had about almost 4 scattered weeks out of it.
                              What a nightmare! Let us know if you think i can help.

Comment

What a nightmare! Let us know if you think i can help.
                                Thank you Missy I appreciate it big time.

My hubby is over the garage now to check things out before he goes to work, as my son is not in office with his job today, and at a meeting, so I shall keep you updated, thank you again ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X