GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• di30
    replied
    Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

What do yu guys think about trying to make a claim on other out of pocket expenses as well?
    I am also out of pocket, as I've had to help out too so much. Of course, I will not do this until we know what the outcome is tomorrow and go from there.

Also found this link here on Rights when buying used cars and warranties.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...are-my-rights/

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

..........I failed to mention that my nephew also works for the garage as well, office based, and the car my son is borrowing is his and not directly belonging to the garage as such but he leaves it there for a spare car. I never realised until recently it was one of my nephew's car's, as I've not seen him in a long time prior to this. Now with the dealer being down the road from me and the garage about 4 miles away, the dealer tend to use that garage for repairs and warranties, although the dealer does also have his own mechanics for checking cars before they are sold on of if anything needs to be done before they sell cars on etc....

Reading in the booklet my son was entitled to breakdown, but used his own cover and not this one from the warranty because he contacted the dealer when he broke down and he said there was nothing he could do!!

So this was why my son ended up with much out of pocket expenses.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Hope your able to read what is what ;-) from the RAC warranty booklet x
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Thanks Bricktop and Missy ;-)

Yes I see your point Bricktop, if it happened again that would then be the 4th change, so today I am aware they did pick up on a few issues in that area, the assessor has until tomorrow to come out to inspect, so we should hopefully receive a written report by the end of the day with a bit of luck ;-)

I scanned the relevant pages of the RAC booklet, will try to get them posted on here shortly.

Leave a comment:

• SA Gold
    replied

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    Thanks for that and I think so too. The dealer did say he will fit the bill if warranty doesnt (which we already assume this wont happen with the warranty), we should know for defo tmz the outcome of the assessement.
    Fingers crossed your son will be back on the road, zero cost soon Di

Leave a comment:

• Bricktop
    replied

Originally posted by di30 View Post
    What gets me though (i'm no mechanic) lol but shouldnt this have been noticed or at least checked when he broken down the 2nd time with the same issues?
    If the clutch operation itself seemed ok then the initial assumption would be that the replacement master cylinder is faulty.

Once it goes again then at that point you start looking for something else that can cause the failure.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

I agree you can see lots of wear on the clutch, that was already in that state when my son obviously had the car, I dont think he would have made that mess to it in just over a week of having it..........then breaking down that soon, aww lol!!

I agree though Bricktop, I dont think its one for warranty, it will be excluded under the wear and tear category.

What gets me though (i'm no mechanic) lol but shouldnt this have been noticed or at least checked when he broken down the 2nd time with the same issues?

Shall be posting up some details of exclusions sometime later on ;-)

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
    Well that clutch is knackered

Edit: better rephrase that, the clutch is worn out. Strictly speaking that wouldn't/shouldn't be an authorised warranty claim and the selling dealer should be standing the cost.

But as long as you aren't getting stiffed with the bill I guess it doesn't matter that much who pays for it.

Thanks for that and I think so too. The dealer did say he will fit the bill if warranty doesnt (which we already assume this wont happen with the warranty), we should know for defo tmz the outcome of the assessement.

Leave a comment:

• Bricktop
    replied

Well that clutch is knackered

Edit: better rephrase that, the clutch is worn out. Strictly speaking that wouldn't/shouldn't be an authorised warranty claim and the selling dealer should be standing the cost.

But as long as you aren't getting stiffed with the bill I guess it doesn't matter that much who pays for it.

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Thanks again Missy
    I shall post up the details later on ;-)

Again thank you x

Leave a comment:

• SA Gold
    replied

The fact the repairs/investigation began whilst under warranty should mean you will be OK. The garage under taking the work will speak with the warranty company and obtain authorisation to commence work. Be nice to see the full policy and the list of exclusions.

Cheers
    Missy

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Originally posted by missy View Post
    Hi Di,
    I just had a nose on the RAC's website for the Gold Warranty although it doesn't seem to bring the T&C's and list of items covered just:

Gold Comprehensive listed components Under 10 years Up to 100,000
    Thanks Missy.

He never received much information, just that as above and the booklet with several pages in it. Now another thing as well, with the date of the warranty cover that started on the purchase date of 3 June 2013, to me that is saying 3 months is now up?? but the thing it's been in the garage for almost 3 weeks before the date it would run out.

Details of the booklet he received and customer care details. There are about 30 odd pages in it. I shall take a look at what I can see when I have a min. ;-)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SA Gold
    replied

Hi Di,
    I just had a nose on the RAC's website for the Gold Warranty although it doesn't seem to bring the T&C's and list of items covered just:

Gold Comprehensive listed components Under 10 years Up to 100,000

Leave a comment:

• di30
    replied

Thank you Missy

that is interesting stuff ;-)

I have attached a copy as promised earlier details of the warranty - GOLD RAC.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SA Gold
    replied

hi Di,
    This sounds all too familiar i'm afraid. Some warranty companies are more forgiving shall we say than others, although some are are a complete nightmare. In the dealership i worked in, it was not un-common to do a strip down of an engine or gearbox, put it all in the boot and push the car back out in the car park. Sometimes the car would come back, sometimes it wouldn't!
    I remember one assessor (pudding his nick-name!) who was notorious for declining repairs (and leaving us to deal with the customer face to face!).
    I remember having an engine stripped down that had overheated badly and was basically buggered. The cause of the engine overheating was a failed water pump. He put on the report that in his opinion it was not the one originally on the car - i.e i had swapped it to help the claim go through.
    We all had a theory that they were on some type of money saving bonus scheme.
    Hopefully you have got a policy with one of the better ones. Good luck and let us know what happens tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X