GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

They sound great from the website info!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

this here is exactly the same as my son's and also advertised the same, apart from my son's is lower mileage, nice colour too......

http://www.motorplussouthwales.co.uk...rbo-diesel-on/

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
        They sound great from the website info!
        Don't they all!

Comment

Arh the link i posted above is the same as my son's car, apart from my son's has the panoramic roof.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
            Arh the link i posted above is the same as my son's car, apart from my son's has the panoramic roof.
            And a dubious clutch.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              And a dubious clutch.......
              Yep lol!
              My gut feeling the report will be down to wear and tear.

He had the car 03/June/2013

Broken down the following Monday 10th June, he contacted the dealer because he was going by the warranty book which states to contact them to arrange breakdown to come out, but he said he couldnt help, but to phone the garage a few miles away from the dealership to ask if they could help. So my nephew who works in the office of that garage turned up over 2 hours on to tow my son from his own private car to the garage (my son was on call for his job too)!

They kept the car for almost a week, my son collected it from the garage after they replaced the master cylinder.

It was almost 2 weeks on 2 July my son was coming out of work and it happened again!! So again rang the dealer and like the previous time said to contact the garage, again my nephew towed him to the garage again, and they said the last part must have been faulty that they had put on, so on went another part as above. He had the car back by the end of that week.

So 2 weeks gone by, then in London on 25 July it happened again!!! The car left in london for repair of the same job and an invoice saying clutch issues need further investigating, so it was collected on Saturday 27 July from London after my son forking out to get to London to collect it and then taking it back to the garage recommended by the dealer its been there ever since!!

So not much use out of it!
              And paying for a car he is unable to use!

I was reading an interesting article on the Advice guide about Faulty cars and poor aftersales. This in my opinion meets up to the dealer.

Dealers appear to have lack of interest in Customer After Care once a sale has been agreed, with poor standards of after sales service and disregard of their obligations under the Sales of Goods Law where cars sold are not of satisfactory quality.

I also found the advert as well ;-)

Comment

Dealers appear to have lack of interest in Customer After Care once a sale has been agreed, with poor standards of after sales service and disregard of their obligations under the Sales of Goods Law where cars sold are not of satisfactory quality.
                Use a main franchised dealer, main dealers do charge slightly more, however you always have the option of contacting the manufacturer if you are unhappy, and the manufacturer does not want regular complaints about their franchised dealerships. A lot of main dealers are bonused on customer satisfaction and will always try and avoid issues reaching the manufacturer.

My advice, stay clear of used car pitches (unless you have a recommendation from someone you trust), if you want a used Ford - go to the Ford dealer, want a used Vauxhall - go to Vauxhall dealer. People usually change their cars every 3 years, find a good dealer and stick with them. You will build up a relationship and they will go over and above to look after you if you are a regular.

Also try and avoid big dealer groups, find a dealer that doesn't have more than say 5 branches, that way you can get in touch with the owner of the business if you are unhappy, in my experience if you contact the owner with a valid complaint they will do what they can to help you.

Comment

Use a main franchised dealer, main dealers do charge slightly more, however you always have the option of contacting the manufacturer if you are unhappy, and the manufacturer does not want regular complaints about their franchised dealerships. A lot of main dealers are bonused on customer satisfaction and will always try and avoid issues reaching the manufacturer.

My advice, stay clear of used car pitches (unless you have a recommendation from someone you trust), if you want a used Ford - go to the Ford dealer, want a used Vauxhall - go to Vauxhall dealer. People usually change their cars every 3 years, find a good dealer and stick with them. You will build up a relationship and they will go over and above to look after you if you are a regular.

Also try and avoid big dealer groups, find a dealer that doesn't have more than say 5 branches, that way you can get in touch with the owner of the business if you are unhappy, in my experience if you contact the owner with a valid complaint they will do what they can to help you.
                  Excellent advice/info here Bricktop thank you ;-)

Yes we do wish my son had done that by going direct with the main dealer for the make of the car, as me and hubby do, hopefully my son have learnt from this now.

Oh another question if you don't mind please?
                  Once the Warranty Inspector been to investigate, do you know roughly how long it would take for them to make out the report? (! or 2 days)? if you know, thanks.

Comment

I have an update, my hubby contacted the garage, although the inspection report is not back quite yet, on inspection the flywheel is fine but the clutch does need changing.
                    It's been confirmed by the dealer if warranty doesnt pay out, then he will deal with it, so that is good news.
                    The new clutch arrived this morning.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. The main dealers (not all of them are owned by the manufacturer, so worth asking them!) tend to handle customer complaints better and auction off trade-ins which they think may cause them grief, outside the age prepared to sell, or don't think their customers will be interested in. These same cars are often purchased by the outlets which tend to have a lot of bad publicity (rightly or wrongly).

Only thing i would add (and this is for other readers as the car has already been purchased) is that there are gems advertised privately if you know what you are looking for. A good friend of mine makes a nice bit of money sourcing cars for people. He goes all over the UK if he has found the perfect car for a punter.

Di - Sounds like between the garage and the warranty company - they are sorting it for you. Nice one!
                      Last edited by SA Gold; 15 August 2013, 13:01. Reason: Spelling as usual!
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you Missy

Yes it makes sense all round what Bricktop says, thank you both for helping me through this on behalf of my son, he is also very grateful too ;-)

Apparentely even through the dealer who sold the car is off today, he had his Co-worker to ring across the garage to check on how things were going with the car and to confirm if Warranty doesnt cover for this, they will deal with it anyway, so at least my son doesnt have to worry now.

With a bit of luck he should get his car back before the weekend or bank holiday ;-)

Comment

With a bit of luck he should get his car back before the weekend or bank holiday ;-)
                          That's excellent news Di. Weather is supposed to cheer up too
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Cheers ;-)

Then to get my renal scan out of the way a week today can chill for a bit then lol ;-)

Comment

Fixed at no cost is always a good result.

Comment

Fixed at no cost is always a good result.

Yes am very happy about that ;-)

Thank you for your help too!

Comment

Working...
                                X