GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

hi Di,
    I presume the car your son purchased from the dealer is not a brand they sell new? Reason i say this, if it was they would diagnose and repair in-house and therefore be able to offer better service (tip for next time!).

I would say the dealer selling the car will want to wash their hands of it now its been repaired somewhere else.
    Its certainly possible that a sensor and relay have been disturbed/damaged on the clutch change although anything electronic based can break down at any time - and they will no doubt tell you this.

Just stand your ground here and say the management light was not on prior to the clutch change and therefore you have to assume there were no faults recorded.

Edit: Do you know if the dealer is owned by the manufacturer? If so, they hate the threat of customers contacting the head office as they are often penalized for customer satisfaction and dictated to in a lot of ways. Could be worth knowing
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by missy View Post
      hi Di,
      I presume the car your son purchased from the dealer is not a brand they sell new? Reason i say this, if it was they would diagnose and repair in-house and therefore be able to offer better service (tip for next time!).

I would say the dealer selling the car will want to wash their hands of it now its been repaired somewhere else.
      Its certainly possible that a sensor and relay have been disturbed/damaged on the clutch change although anything electronic based can break down at any time - and they will no doubt tell you this.

Just stand your ground here and say the management light was not on prior to the clutch change and therefore you have to assume there were no faults recorded.

Edit: Do you know if the dealer is owned by the manufacturer? If so, they hate the threat of customers contacting the head office as they are often penalized for customer satisfaction and dictated to in a lot of ways. Could be worth knowing
      Thank you for that Missy
      And your correct that its a used sale garage only. I do know they have other garages of the same name: http://www.motorplussouthwales.co.uk/

We did before he bought this car suggest that he go to the main dealer on the used section, but there we go, hopefully this is a lesson to be learnt.

And great advice there too thank you yet again lol! We will stand our ground on the management light too, if it was the case before the clutch was fitted then this would have been raised at the same time too.
      My gut feeling here is that it was disturbed and another thing the garage (who fixed the clutch) said that my son needs a new dipstick as well because its snapped!
      There was absolutely nothing wrong with that before it went in for repair, because my hubby has a habit, although a good one of checking oil measures lol, he is the same with our car, and did the same for my son, and it was fine.
      Not sure how they would manage to break that though?

It could be me, but something weird going on lol.

Thanks for that though Missy, your a diamond.

Comment

No problem Di - nice to give something back to the forum.
        As for the dipstick -that was quite a common occurrence i'm afraid and is basically lucky dip (no pun intended!) on who pulls it at the time.
        The part that stays in the sump is steel based although the handle that you pull hard plastic that often snaps off at the least convenient time!
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

.Above post dealers and this here the garage that put in clutch.......

http://www.m4carco.co.uk/about-us/

Comment

No problem Di - nice to give something back to the forum.
            As for the dipstick -that was quite a common occurrence i'm afraid and is basically lucky dip (no pun intended!) on who pulls it at the time.
            The part that stays in the sump is steel based although the handle that you pull hard plastic that often snaps off at the least convenient time!
            Cheers Missy.

Yeah I know what you mean lol, i think its just annoying that everything seems to be happening with the fact he not long had the car.
            Where he did purhase the car, they do have an internal garage, I believe this is used to check to see if anything needs doing to the cars before they put them on the forecourt.

Comment

I emailed warranty yesterday to ask for a copy of the report, because the garage that fitted the clutch said we do this by requesting the copy from warranty, the first email yesterday said they will send the details and today after I sent them the details of the car as requested this is the email as received from warranty group.........

Good Morning,

Thank you for your recent email regarding your RAC Warranty.

This dealer offers standard RAC Maintenance & Breakdown Warranty, the dealer should have completed a 50 point maintenance inspection, which you can request a copy of from the dealer.

Unfortunately as we do not conduct any inspections we do not hold any copies of these checks.

Kind Regards
              Danielle

Administration Team| Motor Division
              The Warranty Group
              The Aspen Building, Floor

Comment

Hi Di,
                So i take it you never received the 50 point check paperwork when the sale was completed?

Comment

Hi Di,
                  So i take it you never received the 50 point check paperwork when the sale was completed?
                  Not as far as I know Missy, the only warranty paperwork he had on the sale was that document I posted on here to say how much warranty and the booklet.

I shall contact the dealer I think. (I have an ultrasound this afternoon, and may call in passing).

The garage that fitted the clutch the other day said if I wanted a copy of the inspection report (when warranty supposedly) came out to inspect that I would have to request this from warranty, not unless there is a confusion somewhere in regards of the email i received today, and she assumed it was about the 50 point check.

Comment

Good luck this afternoon

Comment

• Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                      Good luck this afternoon
                      Thank you Cym, nervous but just want to get it done with lol, shall be leaving now soon x

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                        the only warranty paperwork he had on the sale was that document I posted on here to say how much warranty and the booklet.
                        No harm in asking for a copy of this alleged check Di. Its not normally worth much as there are so many get-outs for them to be honest. Reason being, its only at the time of test.
                        So, as an example: "Check clutch for operation" - if it felt ok at the time of test, then it gets a tick! Nothing to stop it packing up a week down the line.

Hope the scan went well.

Cheers
                        Missy

Comment

Thanks for that Missy, will ask for one anyway, as we not even sure if one did take place but at least we then have a record I suppose.

The report I requested from warranty was the inspection of my sons car when it was taken apart via clutch, so maybe I didnt explain to warranty in clear details (I do tend to write arese backwards) lol! as it was them that supposedly that done the inspection in order for the job to be paid by them or not.

Scan we good thank you, a bit uncomfortable as I had to do the breathing in and holding on, so that my organs stretch while scanning etc, she did say at the end that she couldnt see anything, so I assume my kidney disease will be put down to long term high blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                            It's sounding like trading standards, car not fit for purpose; to my ignorant mind!
                            Not sure if it is at that point yet.

It is possible that the garage who carried out the repair disturbed something, but I suspect this is something else.

Comment

It is possible Bricktop, and the other day the light finally went out, but we (my son) do not want him to take any risks.

It was booked in to another garage yesterday, as said in one of my above posts (not the same one who done the clutch), so the dealer arranged it to go elsewhere, however when my son went to pick it up yesterday, the car wasnt there (they never even contacted him to let him know), but they had taken it to another that deal direct with these matters, here;
                              http://www.secure-wise.com/

Surely they should have let him know. So he is still without the car!

Comment

.....okay the dealer rang to say "Hello darling, your son car's ready, just to let you know sweetheart" lol.

Anyway, going back to a 50point check there wasnt one.

Comment

Working...
                                X