GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Sold a car recently - DVLA Warning!!! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sold a car recently - DVLA Warning!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sold a car recently - DVLA Warning!!!

Hi All

Just wanted to share my experience with the DVLA and warn everyone regards a little scam they seem to be operating to fleece more money out of motorists.

I sold my car in October, and, infront of the buyer, put the V5 in an envelope addressed to the DVLA and put a stamp on it.

Posted it next day and forgot all about it.

Next thing I get a letter from the DVLA saying that someone else had applied as the registered keeper.

So I ring them up to find out what is going on. They hadn't received the V5. I told them I had sent it in the post, acknowledged the car had been sold, heard nothing more.

Until today, when I have a letter from the DVLA demanding £55 because I have committed the offense of not notifying them the car had been sold.

Now I have seen a few people who have taken the DVLA to court on this, to have the case dropped by the prosecutor at the last second.

What a bunch of shysters. The DVLA have to prove that you did not inform them and that you did not actually inform them by posting the V5. There is no legal obligation to have proof of postage/recorded delivery/proof of delivery, but my warning is that the next time you do sell a car make sure you do take proof of postage/delivery as the DVLA seem to be on to a nice little scam.

I have refused to pay this 'fine'. I'm not going to cough up this money because something has been lost/stolen in the post, or the letter has dropped down the back of someones desk in Swansea.
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Sold a car recently - DVLA Warning!!!

I have heard about this too, I don't think they have ever taken anyone all the way to court, they rely on the the threat of "DVLA" - yeah right, but when I do send to them I get a proof of posting from the PO, its free - I am not spending good money on them buggers.

Comment

It's certainly worth sending it, with proof of postage.....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Same with my daughter, part exchanged her car last March, dealer gave her v5 she sent off to DVLA Swansea, letter July abouts and correspondence later fined for not informing DVLA, pay now or later more, Phillips enter the scene
        pay us or we will./ and/ may/ etc , sent info to DVLA also Philips stating that under legislation the DVLA being executive agency of the Secretary of State deemed notice served under the quoted act, as the secretary of State is area of responsibility, more letter fro Philips Bailiffs (DCA) idiots, awaiting further letters from one or the other,, also DVLA eventually sent form to sign as sold returned to them duly signed, also sent copy of VAUXHALL dealer date/time of exchange of contract on the new car. so we will see, this is another daft civil service robbery scheme, the onus is on them to prove you did not send it, as it seems from other forums on motoring this a regular occurance after people send the form yo Swansea, another area to be investigated at Swansea I say?

Comment

They have taken people to court who are un aware of the regulations it seems, also reported was one whereby a chap was approached at court by the DVLA rep and was told pay up now and save yourself money, they told the DVLA man no go away I will see you on the other side, under legislation act etc, the case was dropped there and then it seems, forgot where that was reported on a site?

They also try to back car tax you as well it has been said up to the time they reckon you informed them,
          Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 11 December 2012, 15:48.

Comment

Off the topic a little but still with DVLA, my mate had to renew his LGV and sent it to DVLA registered mail to ensure delivery, he had a letter about a month later say that they had revoked his licence because he had not replied to their previous (non existent) letter to him, he called them and gave them the date and time of delivery, two hours later they called him back (unheard of) to say the letter was found but hadn't even been opened! They had to send him a letter of authority to drive for his employers and it took another two months to process his renewal.

Big changes are needed at DVLA, if ever Wales get devolution DVLA will be the first gvt department to be relocated I reckon, their security is atrocious also.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
              They have taken people to court who are un aware of the regulations it seems, also reported was one whereby a chap was approached at court by the DVLA rep and was told pay up now and save yourself money, they told the DVLA man no go away I will see you on the other side, under legislation act etc, the case was dropped there and then it seems, forgot where that was reported on a site?

They also try to back car tax you as well it has been said up to the time they reckon you informed them,
              Yes I think I saw the same thread while doing some research.

Who do the DVLA think they are? A simple online system would easily sort this. Put a unique 'sellers' code on the V5 which the seller enters on a website with the buyers details. Just like the car tax. Nice and simple, and then you have proof you have completed it.

Oh hang on theres the catch - it deprives the DVLA of another method of generating cash.

I think its disgraceful that they are allowed to operate this unlawful way of extorting money from people.
              "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

im in court with this on the 15th may pleading not guilty will let you know the outcome
                at the start of this journey i owed
                £52000.00 UNSECURED £5000.00 SECURED
                £0000.00 secured debt as of 17/12/2010 fingers crossed
                on 14/07/2012 i now have £32.000 unsecured and £15.000 unenforceable [thanks to niddy and aad ]
                as of 17/03/13 its now £26K AND £15K UE
                ITS COMING DOWN SLOWLY WHILE STILL ENJOYING MY LIFE

Comment

Good luck

Comment

snv have you been to court yet as im in touch with the person who got took to court and one they have sent me there full defence i have dug deeper and also hit dvla with a rather clever foi request lets just say im quite happy i will win if you need the defence let me know i will pm it too you
                    on 14/07/2012 i now have £32.000 unsecured and £15.000 unenforceable [thanks to niddy and aad ]

Comment

went to court yesturday and won

Comment

more detail? well done!

Comment

Hiya

I'd be interested in your defense also.

In the end I rang up the DVLA and argued my point and they gave me a 'discount' so that the money I was going to pay was less than they cost of petrol getting to court (not to mention the days lost wages as I am a contractor), so I paid the 'fee' as I just couldn't afford the cost of a fight on principle.

I'm still furious about this though. It's a scam that is being operated here, which if it were being done by a private company would be quickly shut down but because its DVLA its hushed up.

Best
                          SnV

Comment

Originally posted by SaltnVinegar View Post
                            It's a scam that is being operated here, which if it were being done by a private company would be quickly shut down but because its DVLA its hushed up.

Best
                            SnV
                            absolutely. what a bunch of crooks!
                            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Originally posted by wishfullthinking View Post
                              went to court yesturday and won
                              Well done wishfullthinking
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
                              X