GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Work have pulled a fast one here..... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work have pulled a fast one here.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work have pulled a fast one here.....

When I done a SAR, it confirmed it wasnt kept confidential (and several people were openly discussing it) and they were "extreme concerns at the level of legal advice I had under taken" Think they just gambled I couldnt take it forward!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Off work again today. Had a migraine last night and threw up twice. I'm sure the stress of the place is killing me slowly.... and my boss and his sidekick seem to be doing nothing to make things better for anyone.

I'm trying so hard to hold back because I'm due to go into hospital next month and will need to take months off to recover anyway.... but it's getting difficult. I've never had so much time off in such a short period...

Exhausted and hate my job right now....
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sending you a P1 xx
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          Off work again today. Had a migraine last night and threw up twice. I'm sure the stress of the place is killing me slowly.... and my boss and his sidekick seem to be doing nothing to make things better for anyone.

I'm trying so hard to hold back because I'm due to go into hospital next month and will need to take months off to recover anyway.... but it's getting difficult. I've never had so much time off in such a short period...

Exhausted and hate my job right now....
          Think I would be seeking advice now. Your employer seems to be doing nothing. They need it pointing out to them that Work Related Stress falls under Health and Safety legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
            Think I would be seeking advice now. Your employer seems to be doing nothing. They need it pointing out to them that Work Related Stress falls under Health and Safety legislation.
            Thanks Oscar. I emailed my union last night but spent so long faffing around with the wording, I think I was logged out, so will send it again this morning. I've also been on the HSE site and had a nosey...

I was hoping to just plod on before going for my op. because once I'm off sick after that, I won't know what they're up to anymore.... although I do have several spies in the camp, so to speak.
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

I know you are a savvy lady but please get this lodged with your GP - your workplace is being very stupid if they are not taking work related stress claims seriously, not to mention the harm they are doing to your health!

Jane x

Comment

Another hug from me too P1
                "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Thank you everyone.... I will make an appt. to see my GP tomorrow Jane. I think I'll also ask him if he'll consider signing me off a week before the op. or something. I don't have my normal energy levels for fighting at the moment.....

I'll let you know what he says..... and the union as well; when they get back to me.
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                    an appt. to see my GP tomorrow Jane. I think I'll also ask him if he'll consider signing me off a week before the op. or something.
                    Maybe make it clear to the GP that your current stress is being directly caused by your work and not any anxiety in anticipation of your operation or anything related to your upcoming surgery. That would avoid your workplace attempting to shift the blame.

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                      Maybe make it clear to the GP that your current stress is being directly caused by your work and not any anxiety in anticipation of your operation or anything related to your upcoming surgery. That would avoid your workplace attempting to shift the blame.
                      Thanks PlanB. I'm assuming that's what they're thinking, which is making me consider putting my concerns in an email once again.

I've got a GP appt. in 15 mins.... and have just answered a call from my union, so will update when I get back, although from what they've said (school) Academies seem to be able to do what the Hell they like....
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Good luck at your GP appointment P1.

Yes, from what I've heard, it seems that academies can do what the hell they like

Comment

Ok... an update.

Firstly, I had a conversation with someone from my union this morning. The lady I spoke to more or less said that Academies can do what they like because they are run the same as any other business. This means they can get around my job description and direct me to do all sorts outside of it (or so it seems) and they wouldn't be breaking the law. They do however, have a duty of care and she advised me to go down this route if I wanted any changes to happen. I told her that the loss of PPA time had been rectified and that I had sneakily taken myself off the lunch duty rota and replaced my name with the Vice Principal's.... (she still hasn't noticed) .... because it seemed the easiest thing to do.

On a different issue, the Vice Principal sent out another email last light dictating that we make ourselves available for early morning weekend working this weekend and next; to promote the school at these PR events she keeps cooking up, although it's been toned down slightly in the sense that she has "recognised the need for a work/life balance", so we only need pick one event out of 2 weekend mornings and one evening event. I will not be picking anything.... lol... and am more than happy to say so (again) on that score, especially when no requirement for weekend working is mentioned in my contract anyway.... and there's been insufficient notice for the evening event.

I then went to see the GP, who was lovely!! He listened to me, asked all kinds of questions and was ready to sign me off there and then.... but I said that I didn't want to go off just yet because it's half term the week after and I'd like to get past that point, if possible. He was also aware of what Academies are like, so maybe he's had several members of staff crawl in there on their knees lately. Anyway, he wants me to go back in about 3 weeks when he'll sign me off then if I need it. If a doctor's certificate goes in stating work-based stress as the cause, my employer will then need to act upon it. I explained that my reason for being off this time around was because I spent most of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night marking work by squinting at a computer screen because the school wants to be paperless. Hence the reason why I woke with a migraine at 3am Tuesday morning and then threw up. He said that he was glad that I came to see him, logged everything and stressed the importance of having things like this logged, so thank you TastyJane for urging me to go
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

What a lovely GP P1...it's great when they take your concerns seriously isn't it?

Is the weekend morning/evening work part of your directed time or extra to it? Or is directed time something else that academies don't need to take any notice of?

Whoever thought that schools could be run as businesses has obviously never worked in a school...and probably wouldn't be able to hack it if they did...it's not the doddle that some people seem to think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              What a lovely GP P1...it's great when they take your concerns seriously isn't it?

Is the weekend morning/evening work part of your directed time or extra to it? Or is directed time something else that academies don't need to take any notice of?

Whoever thought that schools could be run as businesses has obviously never worked in a school...and probably wouldn't be able to hack it if they did...it's not the doddle that some people seem to think it is.
                              It says in my contract that there's no requirement for weekend working. The VP has tried to get it seen as directed time when very few of us volunteered to do it.... but this was only a mumbled, verbal threat at the back end of the summer term and nothing's been done. She can be very dictatorial and over-delegates but in reality, it's an attempt to cover up a lack of confidence. I had a mild pop at her a few weeks ago for making some really cack decisions re. student groupings and she was left looking a bit of an idiot. It's not easy working with an idiot however.... and I have to try hard to keep my mouth shut a lot of the time. She's got where she is through years of brown-nosing but is rubbish at seeing the bigger picture, which is why she was sent over to us in the first place. I know this through insider sources.... but it changes nothing and she's now here to stay.

I agree, schools are not businesses and it's a ridiculous concept but it's how it seems to have gone. With that, comes the idea that students are consumers, so if they fail it's the fault of teachers. All part of the Government agenda, it seems....

I will be looking to reduce my hours next September, for sure. My enthusiasm for the job has now gone.... In the meantime, I'll be cutting corners for self-preservation.
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

It's sad that you feel the need to cut corners for self-preservation but I'm sure you're far from alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X