GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Work have pulled a fast one here..... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work have pulled a fast one here.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work have pulled a fast one here.....

Blimey.... what a mess!

The umbrella company covers loads of smaller ones, so I can't think that they'd play silly b*ggers with HMRC but my tax coding is definitely the same both before and after taking on this new role.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
      they've had it for two years

so surely it would have appeared in a tax code by now?

regardless of the tax position, you can't just withdraw a benefit without notification and discussion
      Oh i see what you mean, well yes then if it ran for 2 years, you would have seen a tax code change in the 2nd and 3rd year.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
        Blimey.... what a mess!

The umbrella company covers loads of smaller ones, so I can't think that they'd play silly b*ggers with HMRC but my tax coding is definitely the same both before and after taking on this new role.
        HMM im not an expert with umbrella companies, so there may well be a loop hole that gets them out of the "benifits in kind" senario which would reduce your tax code.

Usually, most if not all benifits in kind, is taxable, but umbrella companies skirt around the law by their very nature, so they may well know a way around it that im unsure of.

Comment

It does seem that the tax man will be a little more than interested in this case. The HR intern may be in for a telling off.

The tax deduction is why husband and wife, who are both eligible for 'free' healthcare normally do not both claim. As the spouse or family subscription is generally cheaper and therefore attracts less tax, all other things being equal they would tend to take the scheme from the person with the lowest tax code. Tax on a subscription of £1400 pa on 40% is £560 or a mere £280 on a 20% tax code.

If they have not charged you tax directly, the company must have paid it on your behalf . That is tantamount to an annual pay increase/decrease of say £1400, more if you are prone to chronic illness and accident, as private medical insurance for a company is spread over the all staff, but an individual subscriber pays more for not being fit. As SXGuy says, contact your union or staff association if you get no joy from HR.

TastyJane seems to be an HR person. Perhaps you should PM?.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            Oh i see what you mean, well yes then if it ran for 2 years, you would have seen a tax code change in the 2nd and 3rd year.
            I can only recall one tax code change but it was to everyone's advantage and not the other way around. I also seem to recall something about being expected to notify HMRC ourselves but may have this mixed up with something else.... as often, people take on a second role where I work and need to declare this separately.

I will be raising the tax code issue with HR this week though if no-one sorts this out at work.
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
              It does seem that the tax man will be a little more than interested in this case. The HR intern may be in for a telling off.

The tax deduction is why husband and wife, who are both eligible for 'free' healthcare normally do not both claim. As the spouse or family subscription is generally cheaper and therefore attracts less tax, all other things being equal they would tend to take the scheme from the person with the lowest tax code. Tax on a subscription of £1400 pa on 40% is £560 or a mere £280 on a 20% tax code.

If they have not charged you tax directly, the company must have paid it on your behalf . That is tantamount to an annual pay increase/decrease of say £1400, more if you are prone to chronic illness and accident, as private medical insurance for a company is spread over the all staff, but an individual subscriber pays more for not being fit. As SXGuy says, contact your union or staff association if you get no joy from HR.

Yes.... they do pay it on our behalf, which means I've had an indirect pay cut really.

Not happy.
              Remember the mantra:

Comment

**Update**

Following a number of emails sent to all and sundry and my boss on the phone to HR on Monday morning, I had a reply saying that my health policy would be reinstated as soon as possible and that it had been an admin. error..... As soon as it's been reinstated, the claim could then be honoured.

Hmmm.

I am happy for myself but not for the other poor b*ggers who've had claims rejected and done nothing about it. In fact, several people have been at my workplace for around two years now and never been sent any health policy documents at all. Why do people not complain about these things? No new staff employed since September have been included in the health policy either.

I know for a fact this was to save money on the set-up of this new part of where I'm based..... but as long as my claim is paid, I won't rattle any cages.

I'll let you know when I get another update.
                Remember the mantra:

Comment

I'm surprised you're still in a job

But well done on fighting for your rights....
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Spot on, indeed she is - she has already offered to help people who need HR queries answered which is great.

Thanks for remembering this and pointing it out
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      I'm surprised you're still in a job

But well done on fighting for your rights....
                      If I hadn't calmed down before Monday morning, I might not be.

Remember the mantra:

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                        If I hadn't calmed down before Monday morning, I might not be.

In a perverse kinda way would it have been such a bad thing, being you bloody hate it (or the management at least)!

But seriously, well done for sorting it. As you say, sometimes you gotta think of No1 and get yours sorted and leave other staff to fight their own corner....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          In a perverse kinda way would it have been such a bad thing, being you bloody hate it (or the management at least)!

But seriously, well done for sorting it. As you say, sometimes you gotta think of No1 and get yours sorted and leave other staff to fight their own corner....
                          I do it for the money now; sad but true..... This has been the most frustrating year I've had for a long, long time and my heart's not been in it this year.

However, I do know that internal posts are coming up in yet another subsidiary workplace in about a month or so..... which should get me away from my current boss quite nicely
                          Remember the mantra:

Comment

Yea, I know what you mean. A lot of people are now just shutting up and getting on with things cos they rely on the cash. The 'love of the job' has gone from a lot of employers, sadly though I actually love my job and wouldn't change it right now.

It suits my lifestyle and allows me a lot of freedom so it's fine for me, plus the wages aren't too bad either

But most the people around me (not same job as me) do nothing but whine all day. Weird....

Good luck on internal transfer

Comment

Make sure your manager does not apply before you send in your application.......

Comment

Make sure your manager does not apply before you send in your application.......
                                He can't..... lol...... he's actually in charge of the subsidiary place where I'm at now. "In charge" my ass though....

Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                                X