GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Qualifications - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifications

I know that i'm currently struggling to gain work due to lack of qualifications but i wondered what Qualifications people here have and need in regards to their current or previous roles.

I'm sorta looking at 4 maybe 5 career paths hence asking this here.

I have GCSEs no A levels or degrees and only a few professional Qualifications that are now regarded as out of date
    Last edited by kilasuit; 8 August 2012, 01:08. Reason: gain wokr - hahaha silly mistype
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Qualifications

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
    I know that i'm currently struggling to gain wokr due to lack of qualifications but i wondered what Qualifications people here have and need in regards to their current or previous roles.

I'm sorta looking at 4 maybe 5 career paths hence asking this here.

I have only GSCEs, no A levels or degrees and only a few professional Qualifications that are now regarded as out of date
    I have only 4 'O' Levels, no 'A' Levels, no university degree, but I do have a BAFTA for my TV documentary on the homeless. Does that answer your question

It's more about people skills and personality. I have employed people over the years and qualifiacations aren't always the main focus when you're talent spotting Hands-on work experience and apprenticeships count for a lot. Unless you're planning to be a brain surgeon then I guess 'A' Level biology might help just to be on the safe side

Don't get hung up on qualifications. Roll up your sleeves and get on with it when it comes to job hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
      How can your qualifications be out of date when you are only 22?
      It is because its a MS qualification for Win XP which MS retired due to getting companies on to Vista and 7
      • Microsoft Certified Professional 70-271 Supporting Users and Troubleshooting a Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System

Also the 70-271 is only half of the real qualification that it allowed you to get which was the Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)

So now i'm looking at the Win 7 quals which will be retired in 2013.
      Last edited by kilasuit; 7 August 2012, 22:49.
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

Telling us the 4 or 5 career paths would help. Some careers you def. need qualifications for and others not so much. You're still young enough to do university if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmzi View Post
          Telling us the 4 or 5 career paths would help.
          I agree with Emmzi. Letting us know the sort of career you're looking at would help.

As you're out of work at the moment, a lot of courses are available at a reduced rate. I'm not sure if it depends on the type of course and/or the local authority but now is the time to check.

I have been doing an evening course for the last year and paid £10 a semester instead of £80.

Originally posted by Emmzi View Post
          You're still young enough to do university if you want.
          Of course he is. I went to university at 47...and gained a first class degree. I still can't find decent work though, probably because of my age.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

To be honest, ive been very lucky, have only ever been self employed, i hated the idea of working for someone, and knowing me id have told them where to go at the slightest sight of them talking to me like an idiot, so self employment has always been best for me, as im my own boss, earn more than most and can chose which days I want to work.

Having said that its not suited to everyone, my wife for example, prefers to know her salary is coming every month regardless, but as i like to point out to her, i have the option to hunt for more work, she doesnt, and she can be made redundant at any time, i cant.

Anyway my qualifications are as follows.

4 A-C GCSE's (maths and english being 2), NVQ Business and Finance, NVQ Science (dont ask why) i.t core skills certificates, Level 1, 2 and 3 in computerised accounts.

Id say my best qualifications are those not taken by exam papers though, life skills, the real world is so much different than class room exam papers.

Half the stuff i know in regards to work wouldnt even crop up in an exam or coursework.

Some of the best qualified people out there are those who have worked in that industry compared to those who have studied it. Always show your skills on a CV.

EDIT: if your going to study any sort of Microsoft qualifications be very careful, they can be redudnant very quickly due to software releases and you will find your studying 4 or 5 modules and pass, only to find out you need to take another 5 extra ones to get you back to top level again.

Perhaps one of the NT level exams are better suited, very rarely do MS release new NT versions of their software, most compaines using Windows 2000 NT still even today because of its robustness and lack of BSOD's, can get quite a nice job from having those exams.
            Last edited by SXGuy; 8 August 2012, 08:08.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The Career paths are
              1. IT systems Administration preferably for a school sized client
              2. Accounting
              3. Lawyer
              4. Housing officer
              5. Business management of some sorts

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                Age Discrimination Legislation was passed in 2006. I've never included my age or DOB on my CV and when filling in forms, I've left that field deliberately blank. If they query it (usually a recruiter rather than an employer) I'd just quote the above legislation.
                I don't include my age/DOB either but on the Laocal Authority forms it asks for dates you were at secondary school but, even if I left the dates off, they'd still work out that I was over 40 because I have O levels not GCSEs. Unfortunately they want "enthusiastic" twenty-somethings in teaching not "enthusiastic" fifty-somethings

The Career paths are
                1. IT systems Administration preferably for a school sized client
                2. Accounting
                3. Lawyer
                4. Housing officer
                5. Business management of some sorts
                I'm not an expert but I would imagine that you would need A levels for all those (except perhaps the IT job) and a degree and/or a professional qualification for accounting, lawyer and business management.

Could you talk to Connexions...they give career advice to adults as well as young people? This gives the contact info for Connexions in Shrewsbury.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                  I don't include my age/DOB either but on the Laocal Authority forms it asks for dates you were at secondary school but, even if I left the dates off, they'd still work out that I was over 40 because I have O levels not GCSEs. Unfortunately they want "enthusiastic" twenty-somethings in teaching not "enthusiastic" fifty-somethings

I'm not an expert but I would imagine that you would need A levels for all those (except perhaps the IT job) and a degree and/or a professional qualification for accounting, lawyer and business management.

Could you talk to Connexions...they give career advice to adults as well as young people? This gives the contact info for Connexions in Shrewsbury.

There has been quite a few accounting apprenticeships and its always a job thats listed on direct.gov

I have been to connexions in the past but i think its all been re-branded and moved so will have to have a look.

Comment

There has been quite a few accounting apprenticeships and its always a job thats listed on direct.gov
                    There aren't any in my neck of the woods...(just looked)

Comment

Accounting, all depends on what type you wish to do.

You can be a tax practitioner, which requires no qualifications.

You can be an agent for clients accounts, upto a turnover of a couple mil, without requring qualifications.

However, if you are talking about management accounts, or generally working for a company, then they will want to see qaulifications.

Usually, AAT is the first step, then ACCA, or CIMA depending on where you go with it.
                      Last edited by SXGuy; 8 August 2012, 14:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post

Of course he is. I went to university at 47...and gained a first class degree. I still can't find decent work though, probably because of my age.

Comment

Working...
                        X