GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help please! Maternity - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please! Maternity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! Maternity

Hello all,
    Not posted for a while now, its been a little bit s*** for the past weeks.
    Brother died 3rd January,Father in law died 11th January, both sudden and without warning.
    Youngest undergoing investigations on her heart condition....many trips to hospital in front of us.
    And to cap it all my other Daughter is due her 1st baby any time now....

Ok, enough of my sob story, i know we all have one.......but hey, that's what brings us all together....

My question, if anyone has any ideas, my brain just not computing as well as it should just now....

Eldest daughter, 25, still living at home, boyfriend lives with his parents, no room in either house, my 2 daughters share bedroom.
    No chance in hell of her buying, or renting privately.
    She has been on the housing list for 4 months....

She receives maternity pay, 6 weeks at 9/10ths, then 12 weeks at half pay, and then 33 weeks at smp.

Her normal monthly wage before maternity leave was around £800 per month.

She has asked for my advice / help, and for once i am at a loss........
    Is she better off on smp or would she be better off leaving her job before the 12 weeks at half pay begin, and going onto benefits, or should she stick......
    I have no idea how this would affect her chances of getting somewhere to live off the local authority.....

Its a tall order, but if anyone has the slightest idea how i might be best to direct her, or is the Citizens advice the option to guide.....

Thanks in advance, i always appreciate any feedback....

All the best
    Steve
    Steve

Re: Help please! Maternity

sorry not got a clue but I bet someone can help,

Sorry to hear of your family loss and daughters ill health
    but congratulations on the grand child I hope all goes well xxx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Really appreciate the kind words Nightwatch,

Thank you

Steve
      Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
        So sorry about your brother and father-in-law. Unexpected losses always seem so much harder to come to terms with.

I'm no expert, but as a general rule employers may, under contract, give more than the statutory maternity payments but are not allowed to give less, so my guess is that your daughter would be no better off going on benefits early. Additionally, as she is living at home she would be income assessed as part of the household so I doubt any income related additions would apply. If she was already living in her own place then she would undoubtedly get all her allowances and help with rent and council tax. If her boyfriend lived there with then his income would be taken into account too.

Might be an idea to do a comparative benefits check on Turn2Us: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/
        Try inputting the details with and without her working to the end, and with and without living at home.

I don't think whatever benefits she is on will make any difference to her housing application, but what would up her priority is if there is an overcrowding issue after the baby is born. I really think you or she needs to talk to an expert at CAB to see what her options are. If she is in a Union they may have welfare advisers and possibly grants available for financial hardship too.

All the best, and let us know how you get on,

Elsa xx

Comment

Thank you so much for that advice Elsa, it is very much appreciated and having read through your reply it has helped make things a lot clearer.
          I will let you know how we get on.....

Thanks again

Steve
          Steve

Comment

So sad to hear of your loss it is very hard to cope with xxxx But you have a beautiful new life on the way xxxxxx. Let us know how you get on with Elsa's suggestion. Good luck x
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Very good advice from Elsa

I'm sorry to hear of your losses. As the others have said, sudden deaths are hard for the ones left behind to cope with. Good luck to your younger daughter with the tests xx Being a grandparent is the best feeling in the world
              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Working...
              X