GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script ATOS Medical - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATOS Medical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATOS Medical

ok here goes....

i've been claiming Employment Support Allowance for the last 8 weeks and today received a letter asking me to attend a medical.

i have never had anything like this before and really don't know what to expect. has anyone been through this and what was it like?

i have always worked and supported myself and even went part time to try and keep working when i was ill. eventually i had to stop, i could physically and mentally take no more.

i feel guilty about not working...but if i could work, i would....

thanks x

Re: ATOS Medical

Been there done that

You will probably fail they are hard to pass you need to score so many points and its hard to get the points.

TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU -- don't go alone. And when they ask you questions no matter what your feeling base it on your WORST day.

They aren't doctors, but make them listen to you write it down. make sure you get what you want to say out don't let them over talk or put words in yoru mouth. and keep an eye on the screen. what they are typing.

Comment

Thanks Jen... Mr c is coming with me thankfully. Good idea to keep an eye on what they type, I've read stories of what was said and what was written down being quite different.

Whenever I go to the doctors I make notes before I go because my memory is bad, will this be acceptable? Otherwise I won't remember as daft as that sounds!

The hard thing is sometimes to look at me I look in pain, it's etched on my face, other times you wouldn't guess the pain going on inside.

Thank you xxx

Comment

Hi confused yep I've been to 2 medical assesments. ATOS ARE dr's Jen, but when I had mine, they sat behind a desk with the screen facing them so it was impossible to see what they were putting. They ask standard questions from the screen - not at all like I expected & you really DO have to report your worst day! I had questions like do you watch tv/read/go shopping etc I also found i had to talk over them to get them to listen as some of the questions are yes/no answers & they don't seem interested how your affected etc. After they did the questionaire they took my bp ( as i'm on medication) that's all. In the report it said I'd attended alone (not true Mr FAW was in the waiting room) Went shopping (told them I only went for bread/milk if no-one able to go for me & husband working away) Took care of dog (told them I couldn't go out to walk - just fed it) etc. etc. At the time i was suffering from anxiety & depression so couldn't do much. The report said "in their opinion I should improve significantly within 3 mths" I didn't & had another "medical" that time, same sentence said "12 mths" so it's obviously a set sentence, but I did make the points though thankfully.

Take someone with you & into the room so it gets put on record you attended with someone. Let us know how you get on, Good Luck. FAW
        Last edited by findingaway; 23 February 2011, 22:39.
        I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
        Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines from your bum

Comment

Glad you made the points after all that faw!

There is a big blurry line between yes and no when it comes to being able to do things...it's not that straight forward is it.

Thanks for that faw, I will update when I know!!! Xx

Comment

oops I meant I met their points to get the benefit!

Comment

Mine wasn't a doctor but a Nurse.

Yes DH came into the room with me. *ahem* I don't condone but I recorded my session found this useful all though not perfectly legal.

Also 80% or somethign like that who failt he medical pass the tribunal.

Comment

Hi Jen
                Maybe I got Drs cos mine was for Incapacity review? I asked for a copy of the reports that's how I know they were both Drs...
                FAW

Comment

Good luck with it all hun glad Mr C will come with you

x

Comment

thanks everyone...it's good to hear what you think...and thanks for your support xxx

Comment

No experience with the ESA medical yet but I've had more than enough dealings with Atos to know exactly how slippery their medicals can be.
                      I recently had to prepare for a tribunal so did quite a bit of hunting around on the internet. Their is a site which you might find helpful - I only registered and didn't pay for the subscription but you might find the free stuff handy, I did! Hope it helps.
                      http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/home
                      Good luck.

Comment

thanks Tigger...hmm i've heard all sorts! i spoke to my GP today who told me they don't even collect info from doctors and consultants for the medical, but if it goes to appeal then i can submit letters.

thanks for the link..i'll have a look at that now. xxx

Comment

Your very welcome.
                          Haven't had a ESA medical but I know for Dla they contact GP's even when you request consultants to be contacted. They don't go out of their way to get the information they need to assess your situation properly. Appeal's do have a high success rate but hopefully you won't need to go down that route but if you do, I would advise you to find a local welfare rights officer and get them to help fight your case.
                          Might help you to have a look at the free ESA tests on the site I mentioned.

Comment

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/home

That website is a godsend to the sick and disabled a lot of stuff on there is free, but if you want access to in-depth reports and how to exactly fill in forms on what to say and not to say there is a yearly fee of £19.45.

Now whilst some will pay that fee and yes I was one of them, some do not wish too that is there choice although on balance the extra info you get will make the difference of whether you get awarded a claim or not.

Be warned though once you have access to the complete database it is vast and goes in to great depth.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards
                            Last edited by pompeyfaith; 13 June 2011, 18:35.

Comment

Another good free resource here:

http://dwpexaminations.blacktriangle...pBB3/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X