GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help/Advise requird - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help/Advise requird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help/Advise requird

Hi all, newbie here and need a little advice.

I have x2 credit cards which I have now defaulted on for the past 3 months due to the fact I can no longer afford the payments. I have had my head in the sand and ignored the phone calls. Today I received the letter from power2contact asking me to contact Natwest within 3 working days of the date on the letter or they will come calling. However the letter was delivered 4 days post this date so I am already in breach before I even saw the letter.

The issue I have is that I moved over to the Republic of Ireland x3 years ago, I changed all my UK contacts to my Irish contacts and continued payments as normal. However, now I can no longer afford the payments, I have done the head in sand trick. I want to contact both Natwest Visa and Tesco Bank (MasterCard) to agree a payment plan of £50 per month. I owe approx £6k to Tesco bank and £9k to Natwest Visa. If I call them and tell them I cannot afford the payments but I am willing to offer the £50 per month, I am worried that they will argue and force me to go through a full account breakdown to see if I can afford more. I have already done this myself numerous times and have also been through it with my bank for the mortgage and loan payments so I know the score. Will they accept what I say or will it get nasty?

At the back of my mind I am thinking so what, I am no longer in the UK let them send all the letters they want they have no jurisdiction to come over to southern Irleand and demand payment etc. I know this is not ethical but I do not even know if it is legally correct. I do want to offer payment and continue dialogue, but it would ease my mind a bit if I knew my residency situation gave a bit of leeway for me. Does anyone know if I am right about this?

I have no intention of returning to the UK so I am not bothered about my credit report being affected. I have a loan that finishes next June and a mortgage (for a house that is rented out) that still has £90k to pay off but I always make the monthly payments in full on time as the rental income covers this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with advise on how to proceed please. Thank you very much.

Re: Help/Advise requird

Welcome to AAD

How long have you had the credit cards?

Have you thought about UE?

Have you read the UE diaries on here, lots of useful information

One thing I'll definitely say is under absolutely no circumstances speak to them on the phone, everything in writing and dot't do that until you're a man with a plan...............

Comment

Thank you. I have not had a look as yet as I have only just got home from work. I will look them up this evening.

I have had both cards for a few years, cannot be sure how long exactly. I know one is getting on for almost 10 years but the other is probably half that. Does this have any bearing on the issue?

I haven't spoken to anyone yet other than the one time when they called early morning and I was not awake yet. I simply told them I did not have the time and I would call them back. Other than that it has been letter after letter from them and ignored phone calls from me.

I am pretty sure that as I am out of the UK, they are unable to enforce any legal moves is that correct?

Comment

not sure about enforcement, will need to look it up

if you are looking at UE, then the date matters a lot, generally anything before 2007 is easier than anything post 2007

Comment

Working...
        X