GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Banks and Dementia sufferers - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banks and Dementia sufferers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks and Dementia sufferers

I thought the banks were told to help the sufferers of Dementia and their families.

Well not the case.

My mother in her eighties has Vascular Dementia (VD) which is caused by a series of small strokes or transient ischaemic attacks (TIA), which cause parts of the brain to die. Symptoms are loss of memory and general slowness.

Anyway, when we can get to loom at her bank details, we find lots of payments to different 'charities' which we know nothing about. One is the Association for International Cancer Research, which every few months puts in a few debits, £10, £15 or £20. What is this, when was it started, by whom. We believe it is from a contribution to one of those louts that accost you in the street, and the bank details have been used repeatedly instead of just once. They then pass on the details to the sicko scammers who prey on such vulnerable people.

Well after approaching the bank several times, they refuse to do anything until/unless the account holder is present. Eventually we managed to 'scare' my mother into going to the bank with the intention of changing the account so that the debits would stop, along with those of Vital Nature which send rubbish on a monthly basis for an amount 15 times that which it costs at Holland & Barrett, and is equally ineffective.

The nice lady at the bank, entertained us, rather than our mother, but said they could not do anything without her bodily presence. She gave us copies of the account statements (may be on a quarterly or may be on a 50-item basis, perhaps), she marked up suspect debits, that she had seem on the accounts of other such vulnerable persons. However, when asked about changing the account, she said there was no point, as because the nasty men have my mother's details, if the account were to change, the nice bank would merely apply the suspect debits to the new account.

What we were told to do by the nice lady was to write to all the slimeballs and tell them we no longer required their products and services/wished to donate to them. Try finding the contact detail without a computer. Only when we next notice a debit on the statement should we go back to the bank with a copy of the letter, and then they will reverse the payment and put a block on future payments.

SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF AN INDIVIDUAL/UNIQUE BANK ACCOUNT?????? WHAT IS THE PROTECTION THE BANK OFFERS TO DEMENTIA SUFFERERS?????????????

Yes I am shouting. This is not a right to set off issue, is it?

If account details have changed, why does the bank consider it is in their remit to swap debits over to a new account when they know why the change was requested, just because a slimeball wants to use details to defraud. Surely in such a case the bank is guilty of aiding an abetting.

20000 old ladies paying £15 every couple of months = loads of money. As is 20000 old ladies being sent fluffy, microwaveable bed socks and a meercat ashtray for a cancellable debit of £35, after finding the address in the Netherlands and paying for the return postage and packing as well as the initial postage and packing.

Such scams are not just evil they are planned to prey on people who can't sort out their problems, and unfortunately steal the money put aside for food and heating from these vulnerable pensioners. How galling that the electoral register is sold to slimeballs for a pittance, and it contains the names, addresses and, in many cases, the ages of people living in UK properties, identifying where the person is living alone, as there are no other persons at that address. A simple computer sort can identify the vulnerable.
    Last edited by julian; 10 September 2014, 18:20. Reason: Funny characters

Re: Banks and Dementia sufferers

This is absolutely outrageous Julian, I understand your anger.
    Are these continuous payment authorities? Have a look here: http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuou...ight-to-cancel
    According to that once the bank has been told to cancel, they must do so, and if they don't you can demand the money back.
    Sounds as if you've reached the stage when you should start thinking about obtaining Power of Attorney to help your Mum handle her affairs, or at the very least see if she will sign a Letter of Authority or Third Party Mandate for you to deal with the bank. Or perhaps convert it to a joint account with you?
    This is quite a helpful article: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/sc...documentID=160
    Could you perhaps set up online access to the account?
    Would your Mum be agreeable to opening an account at another bank to get rid of these for good?

Good luck with this, she does sound very vulnerable so hope you manage to step in before anyone else takes advantage of her.

Elsa x

Comment

When we realised that my father had dementia one of us became joint account holder and took control. We were fortunate as we were able to intercept his post so that all the cards he kept ordering never made it to his house as he was paying out hundreds of pounds. We also had a family member who knew personal details phone companies and cancel stuff.
      good luck as it is a difficult position to be in.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Having sent my 'get lost' letters, I appear to have set wheels in motion. By return post they have all sent tantalising prize draw entries. AICR had changed its name and sent a letter thanking for continued support. How low is that?

On another mail order firm for older persons, I emailed asking them to close the account and stop correspondence as it was upsetting. Their response Can't do nothing because you are not account holder and against DPA. I responded that it wasn't and by refusing to honour the request they may be guilty of harassment. In the end, as a special favour they have stopped the account, but there may be a few more mail shots.

It. Is so hard too disengage their claws, and costly.

Comment

Working...
        X