GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Metro bank - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metro bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro bank

Morning All

I was just wondering if anybody know what Metro bank are like for opening new accounts, I've had a lot of adverse ( over 200k) in the past but i've had nothing in over 4 years, in fact by the end of 2015 my credit record should be clean as a whistle.

I dont need another account, but they are handy for where I work.

Re: Metro bank

no Idea about metro, other end of the world to me so have never looked into them for an account, maybe someone else on the site has had dealings with them and can give you an answer
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

So know one has tried metro bank then?

Comment

I think scab hunter may have tried last summer. If I remember correctly they appeared quite good but at the time were very limited.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Have a read here----> Surviving The British Banking System – For Credit File Challenged People

Comment

Just found the original thread, they weren't so good because of the limitations http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...llenged-People

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, only just seen this thread.

I did indeed visit a branch of Metro Bank (Tottenham Court Road) last summer (Saturday, 8th June 2013). I went in expecting to get their basic “Cash Account”, and walked out with a full current account complete with cheque book and debit card.

It is vital to distinguish between the basic account – called “Cash Account” – which is incredibly basic and on the whole not recommended, and the current account. The basic account is probably the poorest on the market, because it does not allow you to set up direct debits or other electronic payments to pay bills. I only intended to get it to build up a history to help me get a current account when the Milton Keynes branch opened, but they gave it to me on the spot!

That is the negative side. The positive side is that Metro Bank do try much harder than the other banks to get you upgraded to the current account. When I was given mine, I still had defaults on my credit file, although nothing bad within the last three years.

The current account is as good as anyone else's, apart from the ones which pay interest or give special incentives. The only slight negative is that the Post Office haven't yet got around to adding Metro to their supported banks, so you can't pay cash in there. That scarcely affects me, because I don't need the facility that often, and when I do I can pay into Co-op or Santander and then do an online transfer.

When I opened mine, Niddy said the online banking portal wasn't great. It was only average, but still usable. They've since upgraded it, and I now think it is the best portal of any of the banks I use. Customer service is better than average, as the bank does actually respond to emails, and the branches are open for long hours 7 days a week.

In mgfboy's case, I think applying would be a good idea. If there is nothing bad within the last four years, I think there is an excellent chance he would be accepted. If not, they'd just open a Cash Account, and he'd definitely be able to upgrade in 2016 when his file was clear.

SH
              Last edited by ScabHunter; 26 August 2014, 12:11. Reason: Just minor edits to make it read better

Comment

Thanks for the update SH. Hope you're keeping well
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  Thanks for the update SH. Hope you're keeping well
                  Hi Nid,

Thanks for asking. Let's just say the last year and a bit has been extremely challenging! Somehow, I've lived through it, and I'm still in the game fighting as hard as I can. I seem to spend my whole life writing to Ombudsmen, which is hardly the most rib-tickling experience. Maybe I'll update my diary thread when the dust has settled, as I think there may be something to learn from the story.

Who the hell made Cymruambyth a mod? Mods are supposed to have names people can spell. It's a good job it is not a rugby forum, else all of the sensible posts would get deleted.

One other thing I should have mentioned, because it nearly tripped me up – to open a Metro Bank account, you must have a cell phone number! When I went into the branch last year, I was on my way through London to Southend and was only expecting to be half an hour or so opening the basic Cash Account. The last thing on my mind was cell phones.

When you set up a payee in Metro Bank, they send you an eight-digit pass code as an SMS message to your cell, which you then have to type in to the online banking portal. So, they shouldn't really open an account unless you give them a cell phone number. In my case, the guy actually put my landline number into the cell number field and opened the account anyway. I was due back in London less than a month later, so I gave them a cell phone number then. I shouldn't have got away with it, but I did.

The only thing the guy was reluctant to do was give me a cheque book. I don't know why. I didn't push it, because I knew I'd be able to order one through the online portal once I'd got the account opened, and that is what happened. I got it two weeks later through the post with no problems.

Anyway, Metro Bank is my top recommendation for people who are “in the middle”, that is, they haven't got a credit file which is so damaged they can only get a basic account, but they don't have the six year squeaky clean file and six-figure-a-year job to qualify for the “posh accounts” which come with incentives. Of course, this only applies to cell phone owners!

I don't see any reason not to use Metro if you live in the north. I live 70 miles outside London, so I only have sporadic access to the branches. The fact that you can't pay in at the Post Office is the only problem, so you would need another basic account to be able to get round that (pay into basic account and then do online transfer). As long as you visit London occasionally so you can get the account opened, it shouldn't be a problem.

I use Metro as my No. 1 account now, and pay most of my bills and living expenses through it. Both my main current account (Metro) and my main savings account (Bank of Baroda) are based in London, and the lack of branch access has never been a problem. They are the best choices for facilities and customer service.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post

Who the hell made Cymruambyth a mod? Mods are supposed to have names people can spell. It's a good job it is not a rugby forum, else all of the sensible posts would get deleted.

SH
                    Good to see you around, if still misguided

Comment

Working...
                    X