GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Beware of online shopping - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware of online shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of online shopping

I find that if I do my weekly grocery shopping online then I can usually limit what I buy, make sure I get more value etc. No temptation purchases and all that. In general this works well.

Until today.

I take the train to work this morning. Can't buy ticket at my local unmanned station as the machine is out of order. As usual. Try to buy a ticket on the first train. No joy, no sign of the guard. At the next station I have to change with a 10 minute window so I'll get a ticket there. That was my plan. However, the computer says no, transaction declined. Try again, same result. No cash on me either.

No option but to hop on the train back home with a 35 minute walk at the other end so I can ring up the bank and find out what's happened. Thankfully not accosted by the ticket inspector on the journey back as obviously I have no ticket.

Get home, call up the bank and apparently there's £114 still being 'processed'. Pressing a bit further it turns out that it's to Asda.

What's happened is that when I ordered my online shopping last week Asda uses the debit card to 'guarantee' payment when the shopping is delivered as it may be slightly different to the original amount. This week it was as I refused to accept one of their replacements. So Asda charged me for the shopping. But for whatever reason this ringfenced £114 is still flagged up with the bank. So where I thought I had £50 left in the account, theoretically I could potentially be £64 over my limit. Hence no train ticket for me.

I've been shuttling between my bank and Asda trying to get this sorted with each blaming the other. Tending to side with the bank as they do have this £114 flagged up under the debit card. Now awaiting Asda to call me back with their response.

According to the bank, if nothing is done then the £114 drops off after 10 days, which will be the 1st March. Which is all well and good except that I have to pay my mortgage by the 28th or it's flagged up as arrears and I have absolutely no idea what I can do.

So be warned, it may appear a simple thing to do but if it can go wrong them it will, in the worst possible way.

Re: Beware of online shopping

Hmmm that is interesting. 10 days is a bit of a joke. I hope you sort it out. Just out of interest what bank are you with?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo View Post
      Hmmm that is interesting. 10 days is a bit of a joke. I hope you sort it out. Just out of interest what bank are you with?
      Co-Op.

Mortgage is with Nationwide who are also chasing me re a credit card and overdraft!

Comment

I know I had something similiar with co-op - can't remember exactlly what it was but it near the end of the month and i thought I had say £30 left over but when i checked over the phone i didn't and when i asked it was because i had something coming out in a few days - sorry that is not clear - but I know they had kinda already taken the money days before it was due to come out.

I've now opened a Barlcays account - so not sure how they work.

So I assume there is no way you can ring the Nationwide and ask for them to pay a bit liate with your mortgage then??

What a pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnylooloo View Post
          I've now opened a Barlcays account - so not sure how they work.
          in the same way - money scheduled out on Monday will be taken from your account on Friday evening (just after the end of business hours)
          watch out for Direct Debits and Standing Orders scheduled around Easter period and end of April (Royal Wedding Holiday on Friday then Bank Holiday on Monday): whatever is scheduled out between Friday and Monday will be taken out on Thursday evening

Comment

Hubby had problems when he first opened his Barclays account.
            He assumed that as he had money going in on the Friday, then the bills being paid out on the same day would be fine. He was wrong!

You have to have funds available in the account the day before the money goes out.

I think it's madness that the high street banks have different rules; makes it easy to get caught out, especially when you first start banking with them.
            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

HI the last time we did online shopping was at christmas 2yrs ago and we had fraud some kind soul hid his/her shopping for 500.00 Will not shop online again.
              if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think it's ridiculous that they can hang on to your money for 10 days!! Surely 3 days should be the maximum - and even that's too long.
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by jadex View Post
                  in the same way - money scheduled out on Monday will be taken from your account on Friday evening (just after the end of business hours)
                  watch out for Direct Debits and Standing Orders scheduled around Easter period and end of April (Royal Wedding Holiday on Friday then Bank Holiday on Monday): whatever is scheduled out between Friday and Monday will be taken out on Thursday evening
                  Thanks Jade handy to know!

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                  Hubby had problems when he first opened his Barclays account.
                  He assumed that as he had money going in on the Friday, then the bills being paid out on the same day would be fine. He was wrong!

You have to have funds available in the account the day before the money goes out.

I think it's madness that the high street banks have different rules; makes it easy to get caught out, especially when you first start banking with them.
                  I only think I acutally have one bill that goes out on the day I get paid......

I know with the co-op they take my bills out first - so occasionally it looks like i am 20 quid overdrawn and then my salary goes in moments later...... Next month I am going to be completely with Barclays for the first month with all DD's and SO's going out - so I will make sure I keep an eye on it all - got to ahem unlock my pin first to sort out my on line banking as i kinda messed it all up!!

Nanna that is shocking! I don't do huge amounts of online shopping but I think it is part of life now to use the internet. I do use it without a second thought.....

Comment

Correction re payments over bank holidays periods:
                    should have said: "any payment scheduled between Friday and Tuesday will be taken from your account on Thursday"

Comment

Working...
                    X