GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script National Living Wage comes into force - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Living Wage comes into force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Living Wage comes into force

National Living Wage comes into force

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on: 1st April 2016 08:15
    The new mandatory National Living Wage (NLW) has come into force, requiring employers to pay workers aged 25 and over at least £7.20 an hour.
    It is expected to give 1.3 million workers an immediate pay rise. The policy was announced in last summer's Budget by Chancellor George Osborne, in an effort to create a higher-wage, lower-welfare economy. Workers aged 21 to 24 will continue to be entitled to the National Minimum Wage of £6.70 an hour. The intention is for the NLW to rise to more than £9 an hour by 2020. But there are fears of job losses as companies struggle to pay the new higher wages.
    The independent Office for Budget Responsibility has warned that 60,000 jobs could go as a result. The Living Wage Foundation, which inspired the idea but does not set the level of the NLW, welcomed its introduction, but urged businesses to "aim higher" and pay more than the statutory minimum.....Read more here

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: National Living Wage comes into force

Wait for the knock-on effect to small businesses who will now get rid of staff due to yet more increased costs.

It's a catch-22; yes I think we ought to pay staff more but at what cost?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I pay my staff £7 an hour at the moment so ...that extra 20p want make that much difference ....50% of my staff are under 21 anyway ....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oh goody I'm going to get a pay rise.....

Comment

Didn't know you worked for Deepie Alland xxx
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

He doesn't
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
              Didn't know you worked for Deepie Alland xxx
              Some say I don't work at all.......but that's just a story put about by people that know me..... ...

Comment

You do have the best hobbies I'll give you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  You do have the best hobbies I'll give you that.

Comment

A few clients if mine pay their more experienced staff a higher wage. Now any new guys that join are paid 7.20 straight away. Which means he had no choice but to pay the other guys more money as well. Otherwise they will complain and walk. We're also forgetting auto enrolment for pensions now also come in to force. 1% this year 2% next and 3% year after. That's percentage of gross wage. With the living wage reaching 9 quid an hour in a year or so one client estimates it will cost him around 30k extra in wages. He can't afford it he's been forced in to it. This isn't about an employer deciding to offset costs onto the state this is about an employer who genuinely doesn't have the cash flow.

Comment

been happening for Decades , started off on Agricultural wages in the 50s, (low as low as you can get), companies later advised to pay more in decades to come, did not see companies etc shut don! only in later years when conglomerates were allow to take over to Profit stripping, then everything went down hill, like the Tesco etc do now kill the corner shop by opening satellites nearby. all in the name of profit!

money/profit is the force in the last 30 years, if you are not allowed to be sold off to the Chinese etc. backfiring all round as news tell you!

Comment

virgin active who employ cleaning firms just cut the hours so they still get the pay rise but less hours so Richard doesn't need to pay more . That's why my hubby left as the last pay rise was given all the cleaning staff had half hour taken off them and they're doing it again .

Comment

Exactly what happens. I know a few of my clients are not going to give a pay rise if the employees decide to take the government pension. Even though it's illegal to say it, there still gonna do it. No one wins. I feel sorry for the small guys as they simply do not have the cash flow for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X