GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year

Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 11th October 2012 15:05.

Sky is pushing up the price of its telephone line rental by 18 per cent for 3.5million customers - a hike so big angry subscribers can leave with...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year

Oh well, such is life - they are entitled to increase the cost, they are a private (limited) company and I love Sky so happy to pay for it, whatever the cost.

Instead of people whinging that it's gone up, consider the fact it's a good service and yea, maybe it is over priced but last I knew Sky was a luxury, not a right and hence if they want to increase their prices, fine by me.

Just my take on it
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: Sky to hike line rental by 18% - and call charges go up for the SECOND time this year

The thing is that be it Virgin/Sky/Talk Talk or whoever all insist on you taking their phone line along with their broadband, the days are gone when you could pick and choose which bits you want. Take it or leave - that's the choice!

Comment

Sky don't...? They want "a" phone line but doesn't have to be theirs. Obviously to best utilise a service it's best to get them all at the same time via the same provider, but sky only require that you have a working phone line

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Yeah our neighbours use BT for the line Sky for everything else

Comment

Well techincally, what sky do require is a "BT" like phone line, i.e not a cable phone, which is why someone who wants virgin broadband and sky has to have two phone lines.

I got the letter the other day, they are increasing line rental by another £2.50 a month, and as i pay a month in advance, ill notice the increase early, great.

It wasnt that long ago that it went up anyway.

To be honest, ive been toying with changing to virgin anyway since i will get fixed broadband speeds with them close to 30megs, and with sky im paying for up to 20, and never get more than 2.

For a similar package it was around £6 a month more, but as sky are increasing there charge, the difference is gradually getting smaller, so looks like ill be giving sky my 30 days notice after xmas and swapping over.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I look forward to the day I live in an area with Virgin!

Comment

Ooooh big mistake. What you're doing is, technically going to Burger King for your McDonalds.

Why go to a franchised subscription when the contract issuer offers the actual package direct...!

You can now get sky with alternative lines. Virgin included.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  Ooooh big mistake. What you're doing is, technically going to Burger King for your McDonalds.

Why go to a franchised subscription when the contract issuer offers the actual package direct...!

You can now get sky with alternative lines. Virgin included.
                  Really?? i did not know this, in that case, i may keep sky and take virgin broadband instead. Ill have to look in to this, thanks mate!
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    Really?? i did not know this, in that case, i may keep sky and take virgin broadband instead. Ill have to look in to this, thanks mate!
                    I think it originally had to be a BT socket - kinda like not an NTL one, but you do not have to be with BT.

See this for extra help, may explain it better ---> Sky Help Forum - do i need a BT landline to have sky tv - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

The bottom answer

You can use any landline provider, it does not have to be BT.
                    If you do stay with sky, cancel first and wait the month or get partner to apply, then you get new equipment and 6 months free as a new customer

Comment

I've found with SKY , if you ring them up and say your going to leave you can get also sorts of deals out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                        I've found with SKY , if you ring them up and say your going to leave you can get also sorts of deals out of them.
                        They stopped all existing customer incentives last year mate, I was with them from the old BSB (square dish) days in the 80's and they let me cancel as my box was knackered and I refused to pay for one. So I cancelled and then Poppy called an hour later and said my hubby left me, he's cancelled sky and took the box with him I need it in my name....

Works a treat and avoids a 30 day waiting period...

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          They stopped all existing customer incentives last year mate, I was with them from the old BSB (square dish) days in the 80's and they let me cancel as my box was knackered and I refused to pay for one. So I cancelled and then Poppy called an hour later and said my hubby left me, he's cancelled sky and took the box with him I need it in my name....

Works a treat and avoids a 30 day waiting period...
                          I remember BSB and the square dishes, i remember rushing home from school as mum and dad had just had it installed.

It was like, amazing, well compared to now it was pants, but back then!

Comment

Memories eh...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briti...e_Broadcasting

Comment

And i remember a channel that used to loop information regarding the satellite Astra in orbit that sends the signal to the dish.

Was the first time i learnt of "Geo Stationary Orbits"

Then later when decoders progressed, the really dodgy scrambling of foreign channels where you could squint your eyes and actually make out the picture.
                              Last edited by SXGuy; 12 October 2012, 20:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X