GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Treasury considers taxing state pensions at source in 'mark two granny tax' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treasury considers taxing state pensions at source in 'mark two granny tax'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treasury considers taxing state pensions at source in 'mark two granny tax'

Treasury considers taxing state pensions at source in 'mark two granny tax'

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 9th April 2012 17:07.

More misery lies ahead for older people under plans to tax the basic state pension at source in a proposal that has been labelled the 'granny tax...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: Treasury considers taxing state pensions at source in 'mark two granny tax'

Labour bids to block 'granny tax' in House of Commons

Labour will attempt to scupper plans to freeze age-related tax allowances for pensioners in the Commons later. Many over 65s can currently earn more before tax than working-age people. The government wants to end that, but says it is making older people better off overall by raising the basic state pension by more than 5%. But shadow chancellor Ed Balls says the so-called "granny tax" could leave some pensioners on relatively modest incomes up to £323 a year worse off. On Wednesday, Labour tried to block both the "pasty tax" - a plan to change VAT arrangements on hot takeaway food - and the cut in the 50p top rate of income tax....Read more here
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Labour fail to block 'granny tax' in House of Commons

Labour have lost a Commons vote seeking to halt plans to freeze age-related tax allowances for pensioners.
      Many over-65s can currently earn more before tax than working-age people. The government wants to end that, but says it is making older people better off overall by raising the basic state pension by more than 5%. But shadow chancellor Ed Balls says the so-called "granny tax" could leave some pensioners on relatively modest incomes up to £323 a year worse off. MPs voted by 298 to 231 against Labour's proposal to drop the plan. The 67-vote defeat is latest in a series of losses in votes forced by Labour on Budget measures....Read more here
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Planned 'Granny Flat Tax' Set To Be Scrapped

The Government is expected to abolish a levy on so-called "granny flats" in England, giving families a tax break on extensions to their homes used to house older relatives. The Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has said it is "fundamentally unfair" to charge households for annexes as well as their own homes. As a result, hundreds of thousands of families could benefit from the plans rom tax breaks on "granny flats" under plans being considered by the Government. It is believed ministers are also....More can be Read HERE at our AAD Blog Pages

Comment

Get ready to fight the 'granny tax'

Pensioners are preparing for battle to prevent the Government's assault on pensions

If the Government thought this latest tax grab wouldn't cause the same outcry as the removal of child benefit from higher earners, then they need to think again. The National Pensioners Convention has launched an 11th-hour bid to stop the Government raising £3.5bn from older.....Read more here

Comment

Very bad news for them to alienate the pensioners

Comment

Way this governamt is going, I am beginning to wonder if we would be better off in North Korea....

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post

Wont be any pensioners left to alienate shortly. We will all be working till we die.

Your brass clock now will be a cardboard box.

Thanks Mr Ken for your 900 years service. As a thank you from the company we have clubbed together to get you a little something.

A cardboard coffin and a one way ticket to the crem.
                Last edited by ken100464; 9 February 2013, 14:08.

Comment

General Election - 500,000 epetition signatures required - e-petitions

Whilst it will not get them out, it could cause a further split in the parties and coalition and prime for a VONC.

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                    Speaking as a pensioner (one of the younger ones) I am already well and truly alienated by this move! Especially as it was announced at the same time that they reduced the upper limit for tax from 50p to 45p. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds.

Trouble is, although my pension is not large it is (just) eligible for taxation. And I would very much like to know where they got that figure of a 5% increase in the state pension - have just received my notification for next year and the increas is more like 2%.

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                    Way this governamt is going, I am beginning to wonder if we would be better off in North Korea....
                    Think you might be right on this one, Oscar. And (I think) there is another budget due in March - grrrr!

Comment

I really worry and fear for the average person whether they be low earners relying on tax credits to top up or the ill, disabled, elderly, unemployed, school leavers and single single mothers.

They are all affected in someway or another to great cost, many are stressed out and living in fear of what the future holds and yes some are even dying.

Cameron has no humanity, compassion or understanding indeed he has the pleasure of living outside the bubble everyone else is caught in.

Even the party is now split with many back benchers not agreeing with him and that is set to continue and long may it I say as he and his mates are well and truly out of touch and on that basis ill be glad to see him gone along with his cabinet.

Comment

You are absolutely right about Cameron, Pompey! Don't think he understands - or even wants to - what ordinary working people are going through. And he doesn't really care. I know he puts on that "caring face" but he isn't fooling anyone. He just likes being in charge and jumping on bandwagons. But he has no leadership skills - bet he is surrounded by pompous sycophants and only listens to people from the same background as his.

End of political rant.

Comment

I have an appointment with my Conservative MP on the 14th Feb and have put quiet a dossier together he aint gona like me when I am finished with him lol

Comment

Good for you, Pompey! Make it a Valentine's Day he will never forget ....

Comment

I am a Stroke Association volunteer and they sponsor people into parliament via the Access to Elected Office Fund

FAQs - Access to Elected Office Fund

And I am giving it some thought on whether to give it a go because they are not enough disabled, women and regular people in parliament and that is why it is corrupt to many millionaires

Comment

Working...
                              X