GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Sovereignty doesn't just mean the Queen. It means the right to form our own laws and be governed by those we choose. If you want to believe in a Republic go ahead but I for one would prefer to at least have some say over what happens to me. May not like the system as it stands but at least there's still ways to change it for the better. Being governed by the EU who has unelected presidents, has not had its own accounts signed off in over 10 years and forces laws on to us with no way of appeal is not my idea of a Republic and if I'm honest is a dictatorship.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      Sovereignty doesn't just mean the Queen. It means the right to form our own laws and be governed by those we choose. If you want to believe in a Republic go ahead but I for one would prefer to at least have some say over what happens to me. May not like the system as it stands but at least there's still ways to change it for the better. Being governed by the EU who has unelected presidents, has not had its own accounts signed off in over 10 years and forces laws on to us with no way of appeal is not my idea of a Republic and if I'm honest is a dictatorship.
      Sovereignty is the Crown but not necessarily the Family. Constitutional Monarchy.
      The Common Market was what the Country originally voted on!
      But successive Governments (of All Parties) gave Power away to a Europe that has its own Court and MEP's and President. It has one Currency Euro and a Central Bank.
      At the moment we Cannot Assume that we are and can be a Democracy in what Europe could become.
      I can't see what a Yes vote now might mean next year. But neither can I see what a No vote might mean!

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
        We send £150 m abroad in tax credits and benefits to the families of migrant workers ,now I don't think that is the right thing to do.Just think what the NHS could do with that money.We voted for the common market all those years ago to boost trade ,not for the way its run now.
        wonder how they have come out with that number as defo plenty of people (that include Brits) do NOT send out money abroad using banks

anyway, is OK to send money abroad to the families/children of workers who are Brits? or should it be the rule for ALL to pay money only for kids who are over here?
        Last edited by jadex; 25 February 2016, 03:55.

Comment

Free trade doesn't have to go just cos were out you know. Plenty of EU countries would love to trade with us whether we are in or out. That's a poor excuse to stay in. I don't believe for one minute we gain more staying in than being out. 55million a day to stay in could be better spent elsewhere. Why should we allow an unelected undemocratic group of people decide our laws. We vote for our map's, if we don't like them we can vote them out, we can't do that with the European council. Why bother having a vote for parliament if we have no say on laws passed to us from Brussels? And lastly. All Cameron has achieved is a restricting on working benifits for migrants, reduction in child benefit for overseas children and a right to ask for a debate on laws we don't agree with, we do not have the power to Vito them. So all in all he's come away with nothing of substance. As Duncan would say, it's for that reason I'm out.
          contribution is not in pounds so the stronger sterling is the less contribution; besides you are missing the point that big chunk of that money is coming back (especially to farmers and food industry) so it is not quite fair number to be used in discussion

Comment

Subsidies for farmers being taken away is also a bit of bollox. There would be no need for it without the EU because farmers would be in a better position to negotiate prices, and would not be restricted by quotas imposed by the EU!
            then why nobody discussed anything with farmers prior to joining common market?
            farmers will never be able to negotiate anything with the likes of Tescos and Asdas without regulations imposed by lawmakers - having affordable food is a big thing in EU

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
              Supposedly 1/3 business = in so 2/3 out ? mmmmm just realised not all countries pay in the same us 55m per day .
              if the number is wrong then does it invalidate the argument?

Comment

Listen. No one would lose good doctors because they are immigrants. It doesn't work that way. We allow skilled workers in all the time. That doesn't stop just because we decide to leave the EU. We aren't going to suddenly find we don't need any more doctors are we lol. The point is we allow people in who are needed. So your daughter would still have been treated by an immigrant doctor regardless.
                and who paid for those doctors' education / training / qualifications? in most EU countries universities are free of charge so is it OK to brain draining those poorer countries but not OK to help them out? to have standards more equal across countries so people do NOT have real need nor valid reasons to come over here?

many years ago one famous Brit said that Britain has no friends, Britain has interests - still true?

Comment

Originally posted by jadex View Post
                  wonder how they have come out with that number as defo plenty of people (that include Brits) do NOT send out money abroad using banks

anyway, is OK to send money abroad to the families/children of workers who are Brits? or should it be the rule for ALL to pay money only for kids who are over here?
                  I think the big problem that grabs attention for these benefit payments is that it appears that say Dad is here working, Mum and kids are at home in Eastern Europe somewhere. I have no problem with Dad sending his wages home, fair enough
                  I do have a problem with him collecting child benefit and working tax credits for children who have never been here and are still in his home country. surely as they are resident in Eastern Europe, child benefit arrangements in that country must be prevalent, can't get my head around why that would be something the UK would need to pay.

In the great scheme of things it's not a great deal of money, it ain't going to solve the deficit etc but it just seems to be an unfair system slanted towards EU migrants who were not born here, whose parents did not pay into the system and the actual worker hasn't been paying in that long and that benefit is not boosting the economy here, it's going outside the immediate economy.

Comment

Seconded Mrs D .
                    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

most of it is just not sensible and that is what get's everyone's goat!

Comment

and who paid for those doctors' education / training / qualifications? in most EU countries universities are free of charge so is it OK to brain draining those poorer countries but not OK to help them out? to have standards more equal across countries so people do NOT have real need nor valid reasons to come over here?

many years ago one famous Brit said that Britain has no friends, Britain has interests - still true?
                        Most of our old skilled doctors have gone abroad because the hours are better and pay is better. That happens now regardless of EU. I'm not quite seing your point.

Comment

then why nobody discussed anything with farmers prior to joining common market?
                          farmers will never be able to negotiate anything with the likes of Tescos and Asdas without regulations imposed by lawmakers - having affordable food is a big thing in EU
                          You miss the point. Farmers are told how much they can grow or how many cows can produce milk and then the EU subsidies their losses. Without the EU they wouldn't need to subsidise they wouldn't be restricted by limits imposed. The EU sets out which countries do what and how much they can produce. That's why farmers have subsidies.

Comment

Hubbies cousin is as farmer and that is spot on SX .
                            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Here --->http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35658731

Net migration at 323,000 prompts EU referendum row

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
                                Here --->http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35658731

Net migration at 323,000 prompts EU referendum row
                                The referendum is unlocking skeletons avoided in the General Election.
                                It comes down to Parliament/Crown Europe Republic/President
                                Easy to blame EU but these parties (All of Them) signed up to this!

Comment

Working...
                                X