GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EU referendum: Cameron announces date of vote

Free trade doesn't have to go just cos were out you know. Plenty of EU countries would love to trade with us whether we are in or out. That's a poor excuse to stay in. I don't believe for one minute we gain more staying in than being out. 55million a day to stay in could be better spent elsewhere. Why should we allow an unelected undemocratic group of people decide our laws. We vote for our map's, if we don't like them we can vote them out, we can't do that with the European council. Why bother having a vote for parliament if we have no say on laws passed to us from Brussels? And lastly. All Cameron has achieved is a restricting on working benifits for migrants, reduction in child benefit for overseas children and a right to ask for a debate on laws we don't agree with, we do not have the power to Vito them. So all in all he's come away with nothing of substance. As Duncan would say, it's for that reason I'm out.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'm still perched on the fence

Scotland has still not healed the divisions caused by the referendum, we are constantly threatened with another one as the SNP find it difficult to accept the view of the majority of the people of Scotland.

The difficulty with that referendum was that many many people voted yes with their hearts and a lack of any coherent knowledge of Scotland and it's history with England, Wales and Northern Ireland, ie they believed the shyte pumped out by the fanatics

I consider myself British so it was always a no brainer for me but subsequent events have absolutely trashed the so called fiscal case for independence, I thought at the time, it could not be afforded and no shit sherlock, I was right.

so this next one is really important, and my heart tells me that the stupidity and political correctness at the heart of the EU won't go. We brought a lot of our problems on ourselves as a country, most EU countries just ignore any EU directives that they find inconvenient, France, Greece, Italy to name a few, but us Brits always take it to the letter of the stupidity. after all what would Brussels do if we deported a few terrorists who then met with an accident in their native land? I just need to know the fiscal details, this isn't a decision that hearts can be involved in, it has to be a hardheaded decision, the EU don't want a Brexit, all this pish over the last few weeks was just for EU countries consumption, it will go down the tubes if we go, it may go down the tubes anyway, we just need to make sure we're in the right place before any of it kicks off. and yes Diddly I think the migrant situation is colouring a lot of peoples attitude, Mrs Merkel ain't too popular at home this weather...................

Comment

I think we should leave and use the money for our NHS, police, army and just us. We are too politically correct which makes us Brits scared of our own shadow and saying what we want for the fear of upsetting others. I collected a hire van the other day and was annoyed that I had to take four pieces of ID with me despite having a UK driving licence. I made a comment about being born and bred in this country and that I shouldn't have to provide so much information. The guy serving me told me it was a racist comment because he's wasn't born and bred in this country but considered himself British. He also told me that the address on my driving licence could be out of date (which was the reason for other ID) when I informed him it was against the law to have an out of date address on your licence, he informed me that the address on his licence was out of date and he hadn't lived there for seven years. I think it's pretty bad when we can express ourselves for fear of any recriminations and being accused of being racist when I'm not.

Comment

Surely if if we import we shall continue , trade won't just suddenly stop.Same with say landrover they have to buy from here.At the moment I think its scaremongering about trade .They said on the news we are safer in ,no way terrorists can get a passport from Germany for example and go exactly where they want ,they couldn't do that if we are out .We fought 2wars to be safe and independent ,nevermind
          Merkle pulling the strings.
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Norway do OK. They don't include themselves in all th EU politics.

Comment

lot of imports would have tariffs?

we voted in at the beginning - that is it, if the ordinary person was around in the 40/50/60s would know what it was like when out of the EU , we lived in an old boring empire going no where === FACT! and broke all the time.

Comment

Mmmm food four thought .........If it was just trade perhaps many folk would feel differently, its the vastness of it the red tape we can't rule ourselves .
                if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

I do reserve the right to change my mind, and there are several things that are somewhat annoying by being in Europe (mainly lack of power over laws) hence I will watch as many debates as I can between now and decision day, but my gut feeling right now is that we are better to stay in.

Like I say, there are many areas to which I am ignorant and leaving the EU shouldn't be taken lightly. I was all for Scotland staying as part of GB as I think we are better when united and I currently feel the same way about UK in the EU.

Just by leaving the EU, it won't mean that the UK will put up a massive fence and stop immigration (which I wouldn't want anyway!) The doctors that saved my daughters life when she was born were immigrants; just think how many other highly skilled and also low paid carers etc. are immigrants. Immigration is a good thing; we just have to ensure that we are letting the right people come to the UK.

This really will be quite a hot debate in the months to come and I look forward to learning a lot!
                  If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                    lot of imports would have tariffs?

we voted in at the beginning - that is it, if the ordinary person was around in the 40/50/60s would know what it was like when out of the EU , we lived in an old boring empire going no where === FACT! and broke all the time.
                    Think you'll find you voted for the European economic community, not the European union. And I'm afraid that's the problem. People fail to understand the difference and what that actually means.

Comment

Listen. No one would lose good doctors because they are immigrants. It doesn't work that way. We allow skilled workers in all the time. That doesn't stop just because we decide to leave the EU. We aren't going to suddenly find we don't need any more doctors are we lol. The point is we allow people in who are needed. So your daughter would still have been treated by an immigrant doctor regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                        Think you'll find you voted for the European economic community, not the European union. And I'm afraid that's the problem. People fail to understand the difference and what that actually means.
                        as time went on like any organisation events etc changes like happens any organisation be it EEU or local businesses, hence Thatcher etc renegotiate deals, therefore we signed up to changes.

If distinction to two EEC EEU then another referendum would of taken place???
                        Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 21 February 2016, 10:19.

Comment

Staying in EU 'exposes UK to terror risk', says Iain Duncan Smith

More---> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35624409

Comment

When I saw this thread my first instinct was to come on here and saying something frivolous, along the lines of being fed up already of hearing about the campaign and how I would like to see the smug grin wiped off Cameron's face - am I the only one who wants to throw up every time that stupid podium appears outside No.10?

And then I saw all the intelligent and informed debate on this thread and realised that I was being superficial and that it is a serious matter, worthy of in-depth consideration ....

My own instinct is that we are better off "in" than "out" - as has already been mentioned we should not let the debate over migrants, benefits, etc. become the only consideration. And I DO remember the last referendum - in the 70s? I can also remember Charles de Gaulle vetoing our original application by saying "non" (probably said a lot more but that is my over-riding memory!) And the media went mad - citing how we had helped France in the war, which was not that long ago in those days.

And now Boris has upped the stakes, by grabbing all the headlines! Think he can be relied upon to do what is best for Boris (and what Boris is best at!) - getting maximum publicity for Boris!

Good to hear from you, Diddles - hope you are well. xxx

Comment

I'm also on the fence but leaning towards voting 'out'.

I wasn't old enough to vote in the previous referendum but I do remember teachers telling us how great the Common Market would be. I think the EU now is totally different to the Common Market those teachers envisaged. Why the hell should the Human Rights Act be used by known and convicted terrorists to get out of being deported back to the countries from whence they came? I will certainly be listening to the debate very carefully.
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1410658

Comment

Working...
                                X