GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error

News : NDS - Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error

HMRC and DWP are delivering on the Prime Minister’s commitment to draw on the expertise of credit reference agencies (CRAs) to tackle fraud and error.

The Departments have signed a twelve month contract with Experian to help drive down unacceptably high levels of tax credit and benefit fraud and error.

HMRC and DWP will work with Experian to identify undisclosed partners and income – all of which affect how much money claimants are entitled to receive.

A recent pilot of this work has already protected more than £16m of anticipated losses in tax credits.

The first cases identified by Experian as part of this work are already with fraud investigators. Using the Experian data, the departments expect to save around £800m over life of the contract.

Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, David Gauke, said:

“I’m delighted that following a very successful pilot we are able to take forward a partnership which will work in the interests of all honest taxpayers and benefit recipients.

“The Government will not tolerate people who dishonestly divert money away from those who are genuinely entitled to it.

“Working with Experian will allow HMRC to escalate the fight against tax credit fraudsters, helping to ensure that they are caught and punished.”

Minister for Welfare Reform, Lord Freud, said:

“Benefit fraud is a crime and we are committed to stamping it out.”

“We will catch and punish those who abuse the system and prevent fraud from entering in the first place.

”Alongside this work at the frontline, we are bringing in the Universal Credit which will simplify and automate the benefits system. This will make it much easier to catch people who make false claims."
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error

Cheers Rizzle (Just got in, and seen this too)

HMRC and DWP partner Experian over fraud

A huge clampdown is expected on tax credit and benefit fraud after HM Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions announced a one-year contract with credit reference agency Experian. HMRC and DWP will use data from the information provider to identify undisclosed partners and income – all of which affect how much money claimants are entitled to ....Read more here---> HMRC and DWP partner Experian over fraud
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: Government and Experian to work together to stop £800m benefit fraud and error

How about 'Lord' David Fraud stamping out the false claims he made - link - about the proportion of genuine claimants of Incapacity Benefit?

Comment

Working...
      X