GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Receiving someone else's debt letters - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Receiving someone else's debt letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiving someone else's debt letters

Hi everyone
    Just wondering if there's a template knocking about to send when I'm receiving a demand for a 6.5k debt to Barclaycard for someone who has never lived at this address or ever heard of for that matter but to my address, the company demanding payment are Wescot.
    Cheers
    Dave

Re: Receiving someone else's debt letters

So the letters are not addressed to your name?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

No Riz
      Someone elses name but my address, this is the 3rd letter in about the past 6 weeks, I ve just received one this morning and put return to sender no-one of that name has ever lived at this address, check the electoral register,.
      Cheers

Comment

Return to sender, not known at this address then. Not your problem.

You could argue the toss with the company, but they are unlikely to believe you.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I was that person once.
          A DCA sent threatening letters to an address that I had never known, nor had known me. I found it out via SAR, which detailed all the addresses they had sent their threats to.

I wouldn't bother complaining to the DCA, all I got from them when I asked why they were discussing details with strangers was, that it was against the law for anybody to open letters not addressed to them, and they should have sent them back. Incidentally, within the SAR docs, there were letters that appeared to be copied from other people's letters, ie not templates, but a sort of evolving template, just changing the name and amounts so I could see other names and details. Such professionals!!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVEB71 View Post
            I'm receiving a demand for a 6.5k debt to Barclaycard for someone who has never lived at this address or ever heard of for that matter but to my address, the company demanding payment are Wescot
            Let me help you to correct your post.

You have not received a demand for a £6.5k debt to Barclaycard. Some other random person has received that demand.

If the letter isn't addressed to you then you shouldn't have even open it. In fact opening it is unlawful.

Send it back "Return to Sender Not Known at this address".

Comment

sounds like Tracing letters which contain the wording within the letter to the effect:- If you are not the person so addressed please ring us on xxxxxxxxx to inform us. Or write and inform us No pre-paid envelope though)

Comment

It would appear that they conspire to force the opening of letters by using software/enveloping machines that do not match the address to the envelope window or pure guile to that effect. In this way, the whole world can see the content, like the BIG RED DEMAND letters, the court threat or the debt amount, but fail to see the addressee.

When Royal Mail held the Queen's commission to deliver mail, it was clear what the law was, and by returning letters they may arrive back at the sender. However, the current miss-mash of delivery services in private hands lends a whole different palette to the artists that abuse it. Many firms no longer have a return to sender address because if it is returned to sender they have to pay for the delivery, as they use the TNT/Whistl or another service that uses the local Royal Mail to deliver, so when it returned to sender, Royal Mail charges them. In that case the people at the collection office open the letter to find who the sender is and may and may not return it e.g. all those 'sucker list' catalogues that come from addresses in Netherlands or France.

Comment

Cheers guys for all your replies, I've just marked it return to sender and circled the returns address and popped it back in the post, I've never had this before and therefore I'm suspicious about what they're after ie phishing for my personal info confirming my name and address??? A little paranoia is good for the soul 👍👍

Comment

Working...
                  X