GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Estate Agents - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estate Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estate Agents

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about deciding which agent agents to use when selling your property?

Fees are a factor as they range drastically but the valuations have all been pretty much the same.

My shortlist is a relatively new local set up who are based just round the corner, or a much larger outfit with branches all over the place. The latter are considerably more expensive but sell themselves on the fact they have a huge customer database etc.

My preferred option is the local one as I think they will work harder and most importantly, the guy came across really well and seemed more genuine, not just doing a sales pitch. He also lives round the corner so knows the area well.

Has anyone had any experiences or have any helpful tips or is it one of those where it comes down to gut feeling?

Cheers,
    Beefy

Re: Estate Agents

Smaller one who can take proper pictures of the area/property, used top range agency or two and no viewings, got small one who the others condemn and good advertising/pictures sold the house within 4 weeks, whereas the others got no where and just argued between themselves internally, hence unsold for 4-5 years
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy1976 View Post
      Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about deciding which agent agents to use when selling your property?

Fees are a factor as they range drastically but the valuations have all been pretty much the same.

My shortlist is a relatively new local set up who are based just round the corner, or a much larger outfit with branches all over the place. The latter are considerably more expensive but sell themselves on the fact they have a huge customer database etc.

My preferred option is the local one as I think they will work harder and most importantly, the guy came across really well and seemed more genuine, not just doing a sales pitch. He also lives round the corner so knows the area well.

Has anyone had any experiences or have any helpful tips or is it one of those where it comes down to gut feeling?

Cheers,
      Beefy
      Go in and barter with them .....you've nothing to lose ...and if I were them I wouldn't turn down your business ..

Good luck
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have bartered with them and the local one has reduced their fees a little bit and I do feel I will get the best service with them.

The larger one used professional photographers that, in my opinion, tried to make things looks like they weren't. I would rather be honest so people see if for what it is and hopefully it be better in reality rather than the other way round.

Thanks again, I think I have made my mind up, I was just after some re-assurance.

Beefy

Comment

tbh ....It's pot luck ...a house is worth what one is willing to pay

Hope all goes well and you get no time wasters .....

Comment

Yes I have found that big estate agents, employ the "wide Lens" method when taking photos. Its very off putting turning up to a potential property only to find that wide living room you could imagine having with 2 full length corner sofas, is just a cupboard under the stairs.

Id say, go with your Gut, if you feel the local one is genuine, and will do more for you, go for it.

What I will say is, theres always 2 sides of the coin with some estate agents, when buying a property via them, they can really muck you about (from personal experience) but from the other side of the coin, they are only trying to get the best possible price, which can only benefit the seller in the long run.

Comment

Have you considered an online estate agent?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodgate View Post
                waste of time personal experiance, so many time wasters

Comment

Originally posted by The Tech Clerk View Post
                  waste of time personal experiance, so many time wasters
                  No different to a bricks & mortar estate agent, as long as your property listed on Rightmove, Zoopla etc.

A couple of family members have sold their houses through Housenetwork.co.uk (no affiliation), both were impressed with the service.

Comment

Bought mine via online estate agent. Was hassle free if I'm honest

Comment

I had a choice of 2 local agents. Apparently my house is wonderful and will sell easily. 4 months on and swapping to the other local agent that has offices further afield. Watch this space!

Comment

I could write a whole thesis on this topic

My choice of estate agent is severely restricted since I fell out with every agent I have ever had the misfortune to work with. There are very few left who'll do business with me The reason being is that I know how these slimy bastards operate and confront them with their underhand tactics since I've bought/sold/remortgaged more than 30 times in recent years (property is my Day Job).

A lot will depend on the circumstances surrounding the sale. Are you buying another property because if that is the case it may make sense to instruct the same agent to sell your house as the one you're buying through, assuming you're not re-locating to a different area. This is because with both transactions under one roof the agent will be eager to keep things on track by liaising with all concerned including the solicitors for both deals. Most of the sales which collapse are involved in a chain.

The agent will also be motivated to do a deal on commission if there are two transactions revolving around you.

I've just sacked (uninstructed) the agent selling my home because they were sending round fake viewings in the hope I'd be impressed with the hive of activity. One turned out to be the mother of the negotiator who I happened to know quite by chance. See what I mean about underhand tactics

Comment

I even had a lady who came around 3 times, I produced full particulars on her 1st visit as she seemed interested, only after the 3rd visit did she mention thanks anyway, but no wheel chair access, hang on we were up an incline to our old house, and then 5 steps up into the property. Time wasters I have seen them most just compare to one down the road etc, some are just lonely people who have nothing better to do, BUT alas we only find out at a later date,

Comment

Originally posted by Woodgate View Post
                            The only reason I have never done that is the potential security risk. I feel it's a dangerous to have total strangers come to my home. I have never forgotten the case of estate agent Suzie Lamplugh and Mr Kipper who murdered her after setting up a fake viewing on an empty property.

However online estate agent selling is very much the fashion at the moment since most buyers search the internet for properties before contacting an agent to view. Why not have a look at some episodes of 'How To Sell Your Home' on Channel 4 which are full of tips. In reality it will be you selling the property not the agent.

When I grow up I want to be Sarah Beeny

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/s.../episode-guide

Comment

I daren't use an online agent as I have to take my rather large and very boisterous dog away when anyone visits!

Comment

Working...
                              X