GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Council Tenancy Problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council Tenancy Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tenancy Problems

I have a colleague who has a joint council tenancy with her ex. They have been living in the same property for many years even though their relationship has broken down; she sleeps in the same room as her 20 year old daughter. The ex is an alcoholic, takes drugs and doesn't work.
    Colleague has been paying all bills as he won't/forgets. She has found somewhere that she wants to rent privately but the council have told her that the only way she can leave is if there is a joint meeting at the council offices when they both take photo id. He won't attend and even if he did he has no photo id.
    Both she and her daughter are scared to be in the same house as the ex.

Is there any way around this?
    Thanks
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Council Tenancy Problems

I have no advice but what a terrible situation to be in just a thought what if she got her doctor to write and outline the situation or failing that perhaps contact someone like woman's aid. I believe they have out reach workers.

jane x

Comment

I have been trying to help her for years (lots of us have!). It just seems to be farcical that she is in this situation and can't get out of it.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Please, tell her not to rent privately, as a council tenant she has a lot of protection. If she gives up this tenancy she will regret it. She needs to get an injunction against ex. To force him to leave the property. May be desperate, but do not give up a council tenancy, please!

Comment

Surely with a breakdown of the marriage, she could be rehoused (assuming she is happy to leave as you said she was looking to rent privately). I'm not sure what the ID stuff is all about?
          I agree that she shouldn't give up council housing unless it is as a last resort. Has he ever been reported to the police for threatening behaviour etc? Has she been to the doctor for any reason relating to the breakdown of her marriage or her situation (ie. depression etc.) All of these things would help her to file a report to the council for priority rehousing.

PS. drop a quick note to planB in a pm asking her to drop by; she is brilliant at all stuff relating to housing and may be able to offer some assistance?
          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

This whole relationship has been a disaster for years and no one can understand while she is still in the property other than she has major confidence problems amongst other things.
            Apparently she is liable for all the payments if he doesn't make them, so he basically lives there for nothing. The council have refused to help in the past.
            if she was rehoused by the council she would be moved a fair distance away which would not work with her job; her child is now at college and needed to be in the area.

in my innocence I thought that she could just tell the council she is moving out and ask to take her name off the tenancy and that would be that but apparently this isn't the case and she has been told she would still be liable for the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
              drop a quick note to planB in a pm asking her to drop by; she is brilliant at all stuff relating to housing and may be able to offer some assistance?
              Damn it my spare room is taken. If only I'd known

Diddly I'm going to answer your suggestion properly in my next post I really appreciate your post even if it puts me under pressure to solve the problem

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                Damn it my spare room is taken. If only I'd known

Diddly I'm going to answer your suggestion properly in my next post I really appreciate your post even if it puts me under pressure to solve the problem
                Stop whining and get on with it
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                  Surely with a breakdown of the marriage, she could be rehoused . . . I agree that she shouldn't give up council housing unless it is as a last resort.
                  ^^^^ Yes Yes Yes to all of that.

Cym, your friend has an assured tenancy. That's gold dust. If she walks away from that then she steps (plunges) off the social housing system for ever. Her daughter (aged 20) has *succession rights* to remain on social housing for ever. If they walk away from this tenancy then her daughter has also lost everything too.

I'll get back to you on all of this (sorry to say my own life is sh*t right now and I don't offer play that card) but the bottom line is your friend must not surrender this tenancy and enter the world of private rentals where she could be kicked out of her home every six months without more thought.

She's put up with her partner's awfulness for years so maybe another few weeks will be acceptable unless he's being violent towards her.

I promise you I'll be back in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Stop whining and get on with it
                    Stop picking on me

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
                      Stop picking on me
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for any help. Lots of us have been trying to help for about 8 years......,,

Comment

Working...
                        X