GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Housing/Council tax benefit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housing/Council tax benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housing/Council tax benefit

Bear with me while I lay this all out
    Bought a house in 1990 to move in with my then G/F to be our home. All in my name mainly due to her bad credit history.
    Separated in 2003 , I moved out and rented a flat, she stayed in the house. DWP paid some of the mortgage (interest on original loan) and I paid the rest (or didn't lol)
    Never got divorced
    April 2011 I lost my job and claimed HB, spent 6 months fighting but after a letter from my ex and myself stating that she would get a share in the house on it's sale they relented and paid up
    August 2011 She moved into an OAP assisted living council Bungalow
    Dec 9th House sale completed, I paid 7.5K to her, just over 1K to my mum who had lent me cash to pay for skips etc (mostly documented....debit card payments or records she kept) I forgot to tell the council and I had about 8.5 K
    On the day of completion took out 1K cash to pay incidentals and treat myself. Also pay a few bills
    Within a week or so bank down to under 6K (I spent the money but don't want to say on here where)
    FEB council wrote asking me to confirm if house was still on the market.
    I called them and told them it was sold.....they stopped my benefit and asked to see documents. I took in my bank statements as well as details from my mum of what she had lent me
    Not had an answer yet, I am ashamed to say where I spent the money and it could have other repercussions. All I will promise is that I did spend it and haven't hidden it.
    Any advice as to what to do next?

Re: Housing/Council tax benefit

As far as I know, and I'm not an expert on this, the benefits office will treat your share as if you still had it. They don't take into account paying off loans early, clearing outstanding bills/credit cards, buying large items such as tv, car etc, or if it's been 'frittered' away (for want of a better word)
    In essence they 'decide' how long x amount should last you and adjust your benefits accordingly
    I don't know how they decide this, but it may help to speak to someone like the CAB

Comment

Re: Housing/Council tax benefit

All sorted, going to cost me about £13 . Seems they have accepted my explanations and haven't decided that I frittered it away

Comment

Working...
      X