GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Obligation to vote - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obligation to vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligation to vote

It seems that there is a rock and a hard place with the forthcoming elections. You can register to vote and fulfil you democratic right and duty, but if you do you put your head above the parapet. No wonder there are millions missing on the electoral registers.

It is unseemly and anti-democratic that the CRAs have a right to receive the information provided the government. If they paid a decent fee that was passed back to the voter fair enough, but you can be fined for note registering and there is no anonymity or protection provided. It is wrong to disenfranchise people in this way.

I expect a plague of slimy toads over the next few months.

Re: Obligation to vote

Fined for not registering? New one on me.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Never heard of that before.ummmm
      if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oh yes you are
        See www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview a full £80 without an excuse. They say you can register to be anonymous, if you fear for your safety, but some jobsworth can make that decision.

Then read the bit about selling the full register only to specific organisations to make credit and identity checks and how it is a criminal offence to misuse the data...... ha ha ha

Comment

Good point, Julian. I did know that it is an offence not to be on the electoral roll and, as you say, it is like handling your details to the CRAs on a plate ....

Comment

Theres currently 7 million people who do not register to vote, i dont believe each one has been fined £80. If it is genuine, it seems its not enforced very well.

Comment

Yep you are right. So how do they know there are 8m? Although they say there is a fine, they don't state who collects. Even if you are registered you don't HAVE to vote.

I am more concerned that they assume that credit reference agencies are working within a legal framework, and who polices their usage of the data. Cos it is against the law to use it for unauthorised usage.

Comment

When I was living at home with parents I came off the electoral register when Thatcher the milk snatcher introduced the poll tax. It was the responsibility of the head of household to make sure everyone was registered and my dad used to panic by not adding me but if I remember there was a clause which said that you don't have to register someone if they will be moving out in the next 6 months - so to cover him would use that if it was ever questioned but it never was.

Comment

Working...
                X