GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Niddy v Barclays - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Niddy v Barclays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niddy v Barclays

As the title suggests, Niddy went to Barclays today and was horrified - see here for details of my last post about this: ---> #44

Now, as a result of a fiasco of all-sorts today, i've sent in a formal complaint! Details shown below, will post updates as and when I get any....

Dear Barclays,

Ref: Online Account Numbered XXXXXXXX

I applied for a current account online, dated 4th February 2011 and was given an immediate download to print off the application and return it, with 3 payslips and a cheque – which I done, as requested.

Then, this morning around 10.45am I rung your helpline to enquire why I’d not heard back from you regarding my application being it was two weeks since I applied. The woman on the phone took me through security and when she asked me for my mother’s maiden name I stated it could have been one of two options, as I use both XXXXXXXX & XXXXXXXX as memorable words, to which she confirmed my application was put on hold pending further identification – primarily due to this maiden name ‘error’. I did point out that I never thought such a thing could have any influence, being it is suggested by ALL banks NOT to duplicate passwords and to change them around, so to say I was astonished at being told my application was on hold pending additional ID is putting it mildly. The woman then told me that the account was ready to open and all that I had to do was to go into branch with my passport – bearing in mind I also pointed out that was rather bizarre being I passed Equifax verification at the time I applied – ie you KNEW categorically 100% that I was the applicant. The fact I had previously sent in the cheque and original bank statements also verified things, ie the cheque has the same account number linked to me via Equifax as did the 3 months bank statements.

Anyway, I confirmed with the advisor that the nearest branch was over 20 miles away and it was a real inconvenience to which she said it’d take a few minutes to finalise and the account would shortly be opened. So, based on her words I left work at lunch to head into Leeds (I work in York) and found a branch just off Albion Street and went in and asked about account opening and explained, to the floor-walker (called Richard) that I had applied online and was told to come in to finalise things – he rolled his eyes and said “that sounds about right”; immediately suggesting it was not the first time he’d heard such nonsense. Anyway, we go upstairs and I sit and wait, and wait, and wait some more – after about 30 minutes Richard came back and took me to a desk to go over things.

I explained to him, the same as I’ve explained above, to which he said he’d input a new application. I stated at the time that I had already applied and sent off a cheque and bank statements so all he had to do was copy my passport and that’d be that. He fannied about somewhat and eventually ran a NEW application which came up with some error so he done it again, and got another error. He then went and got a colleague who done it again and yet again he got the same error. He then confirmed that it had been referred as I had a few searches made against me, to which I confirmed that yes I’m looking to change banks and credit cards so made a few applications, nothing excessive of course. He then said that I should open the basic account and run it for a few months before applying to be upgraded – obviously bearing in mind you’ve seen my original statements showing in excess of £5,000 per month incoming and all my direct debits going out (ie being run perfectly well) with overdraft, I felt a little uneasy agreeing to a basic account (why would anyone with half a brain give up a full 3-in-1 card/bank account with overdraft/chequebook/chequecard for a bog standard account?) however as I have several thousand in savings (approx £XXXX) I thought it’d be fine to just throw a grand a month in for 6 months then re-apply for a full account – so Richard then proceeded to try and sell me insurance (even though I explained I get this free with work) to which I declined, he then said he’d run an application for the cash-card account (not the one I wanted, as it didn’t have a debit card); after several clicks he then said “sorry we can’t open one of those either as you’ve got too many searches” – I then explained that he’d just done half a dozen there and then, and also reminded him that Barclays had no legal grounds to refuse me basic banking being I am not a fraudster plus I provided more than ample ID (passport, Equifax verification, cheque, bank statements etc) to which he suggested there was nothing he could do cos all accounts are credit scored – I reminded him again that it was unethical to credit score a basic account in line with OFT Guidelines, he just shrugged his shoulders and said to wait a few months.

I then asked about the original application that was apparently almost opened and the whereabouts of my cheque and last 3 months original bank statements. It seems this was too much for him as his words were, and I quote “Oh they’ll get sent back to you when they cancel that application”…. Hello? Why the hell was that application not opened at outset? Are these muppets in branch on commission or something thus forcing extra unnecessary searches against people so THEY can gain a sale? Bear in mind, the account applied for online was free, the one I was sold in branch was a premier account at £25 per month. As I pay HSBC £12.95 for their PLUS account it wasn’t a problem, plus my finances are suffice to afford it – however it was not what I originally applied for.

Now, as you can see from the above complaint, I have several areas of concern and wish to formally appeal the decision to refuse me ANY account, I also wish to formally complain about the number of searches performed by Barclays, I also wish to complain about the fact you credit scored me for a basic account after already searching me several times for a full account and I wish to complain about being given the runaround which has cost me time, effort, money and embarrassment.

I’d like this whole escapade investigated from top to bottom starting with the incorrect advice given on the phone this morning, to the branch fiasco, to my missing statements and cheque.

Obviously I also expect, at the very least;

a) a bank account to be opened;
    b) return of my cheque for £100;
    c) return of my last 3 months bank statements;
    d) adequate compensation for my inconvenience – plus the necessary cost of replacement statements based on the fee as per HSBC website and banking terms, assuming you’ve lost them (as the branch staff didn’t have a clue as to their whereabouts).
    I look forward to your imminent response, prior to my formally complaining to the FOS, ICO and Trading Standards. I am disgusted at the way I’ve been treated today and at the very least you should try your hardest to open me the requested account being you’ve seen ample ID and know I am no risk, based on my HSBC status and accounts (I have two current accounts with them, one has £200 overdraft’ the other has a £500 overdraft and both are 2+ years old).

Niddy
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Niddy v Barclays

good grief, could they get it any more wrong?? how many searches?!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by confused76 View Post
      good grief, could they get it any more wrong?? how many searches?!!!!
      I lost count after 5!!
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Still waiting to hear back from these clowns....

I'll update when I eventually do get a response!

:niddy

Comment

Good luck Niddy, as usual they are a load of pathetic muppets!

Comment

Had a reply to my complaint, they basically said fuckoff - so i'll sort them another reply, a bit stronger worded and post details up later!

Idiots!

Comment

Right,

Just had long chat with Barclays complaints team and we agreed if they pay me £100 I'll walk away and drop my complaint! All searches are gone and app's will be wiped.

That is what I call a result! When the cheque comes, I'll scan and post it here

Comment

Result.!

Comment

Well done Nid
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Result Niddy!
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

100 quid?

Your reputation and civic standing is worth more than that surely?

Good result though.

Comment

Originally posted by roomtobreathe View Post
                        100 quid?

Your reputation and civic standing is worth more than that surely?

Good result though.
                        £100 is better than my walking away and "just accepting" the decline - surely? Its free money, that's how I look at it.

Comment

Great result Niddy
                          Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
                          SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

As promised (sorry for the delay) see attached a copy of the free money!

Niddy 1 - 0 Barclays

Click image for larger version

Name:	Barclays.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1382282

Comment

hi niddy,
                              well done, you cant beat a lttle bit of free money.
                              good luck
                              helmsman

Comment

Working...
                              X