GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Kitchen sink problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen sink problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen sink problem

Hi,

Do any members know of any experienced kitchen installers on the forum please?

I just need someone to take a look at a photo of the installation of a ceramic undermount sink prior to a quartz worktop going on top of it.

I know that there is a minimum gap required between the top of the sink and the bottom of the worktop and by looking at my photographs it doesn't appear to have been done.

Re: Kitchen sink problem

Handyman / Nanna's husband (maybe)?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

That link you posted doesn't open ...Is this ^^^^ what you mean ?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hubby isn't a plumber but there has to be room for expansion especially with a Belfast sink .Sorry we can't be specific.xxxxx
        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi guys, I hadn't posted a link it's just picked it up from the description I've typed!

It's not a Belfast sink but similarish. it's a 1.5 bowl and fits under the work top.

Of course the fitters/kitchen company deny that it's been fitted wrong, but two hairline cracks from the drain just four months after installation makes me suspect that it hasn't been done right.

I have however just had a message from someone who has kindly offered to come and have a look for me.

Thanks for the posts

Comment

Sorry we couldn't help Mary , good luck xx
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Should look like this ...then you put silicon round the edge of sink and sit the worktop on top ....

Comment

Thanks Nanna and Deepie and Niddy. I'll figure how to multi quote one of these days!

It's an undermount ceramic sink with a quartz work top and there should be a minimum 5mm gap between them but the fitter hasn't left any gap which means that the weight of the top has put pressure on the sink. The hairline crack is spreading up the side now so I'm getting worried in case it leaks, or drops out!

The company have now sent me a letter before action, so I've sent the MD a very detailed letter of all the problems I've had but what I haven't told him is that I have photographs to prove it was fitted incorrectly!

I suddenly remembered that I'd taken photos almost daily from the start.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...XhMhoCkOPw_wcB

That's the sink, 75 year warranty under normal household usage.

Comment

So, to be clear, are the cracks in the work top? Or in the sink? If in the sink, then its clearly from the weight of something above. Now let me think for a mo....

Comment

Originally posted by mike'y View Post
                    So, to be clear, are the cracks in the work top? Or in the sink? If in the sink, then its clearly from the weight of something above. Now let me think for a mo....
                    Thanks Mike'y yes it's the sink, The photos I've got show that its sitting in the unit flush with the base top, its not been dropped to allow the required gap,if that makes sense?

The cracks started from the centre drain in the main bowl.

Comment

So the weight above is pressing down upon the sink and the drain pipe can't compress to absorb the weight? Which it shouldn't have to do anyway, Either something's pushing up or somethings pushing down.

Unless, the drain fittings were tightened up by King Kong.

Comment

MP, yes, it makes a lot of sense. The intended gap is so that there's no weight upon the sink or waste pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by mike'y View Post
                          MP, yes, it makes a lot of sense. The intended gap is so that there's no weight upon the sink or waste pipes.

That's a crystal clear explanation mike'y.

The manufactures warnings were, ensure gap is minimum 5mm, the drain is only hand tight and if a boiling tap is fitted, let it run warm first.

They have very kindly replaced it for me without inspecting the fitting because it happened just before Xmas, I would have preferred them to come out and did ask, but of course if they'd confirmed my suspicions that it was the fitter, then I would have had to pay for it.

Comment

Update: I've had two guys to have a look (independently)

One says it can be changed, it will be difficult because of the way the fitter secured it but he is willing to do the job for just under £100 which I thought was very reasonable.

The other guy didn't think it could be done without the top being removed but he was a young chap who hadn't been in the trade for very long.

In addition, the stone masons that put the top in, did say it could be done without the top being removed but they didn't want to do the job, advising that I would need a carpenter.

All agreed that it had been fitted incorrectly.

Whilst I've not had a reply from the company yet from my letter sent recorded delivery on 3rd Feb, I'm wondering whether I should contact them further with my findings and offer the balance to them less the cost of getting the new sink re-fitted, but only after the job has been done, just in case of any extra costs.

I haven't pointed out that the photo's I've got clearly show that the sink was fitted flush with the base cabinet and I think it may be best to keep this for ammunition, should it be required.

I'm wondering if it might be an idea to run this past Jo for her opinion/advice?
                            Last edited by marypoppins; 7 February 2017, 14:08.

Comment

not read all threads closely, but if it's been installed by fitters and it had been installed incorrectly - then the fitters/suppliers are liable to fix this problem at no charge to you. unless you/partner has bought and installed yourselves.

<<i may stand to be corrected on assumptions

Comment

Working...
                              X