Why????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why????

This my particular rant, why when you return something to a shop, do they want to know everything, ie name, address, postal code, inside leg measurement, hopes, dreams and the whole bloody lot. So does anyone know why I can buy anything and no one cares who I am but if I want to return it i have to go through all this carryon?

I was infact returning stuff to Halfords and I was a bit arsey and she said she couldn't take the stuff back without all this info, i did say that if I got a pile of rubbish in the post they'd get it back, but is this really the law??? Does anyone know??? and if it is the law (not some daft rule) why is it the law?

Re: Why????

Hiya Dopey,

We always had to get those details when goods were brought back, its really a way of checking up on fraudsters etc, and also makes sure that its not staff bringing stuff back under false pretences. You would be surprised how many folks bring the same item of clothing back with supposedly genuine faults etc....ie they keep getting new for old every few weeks.!!

As far as I am aware your details are not used for any other reason, and certainly not in the store that I worked in.

Comment

Yup I know argos do this as well they have a data base of chronic people who buy and return. its also for demographics...

Comment

Originally posted by Elsie52 View Post
        Hiya Dopey,

We always had to get those details when goods were brought back, its really a way of checking up on fraudsters etc, and also makes sure that its not staff bringing stuff back under false pretences. You would be surprised how many folks bring the same item of clothing back with supposedly genuine faults etc....ie they keep getting new for old every few weeks.!!

As far as I am aware your details are not used for any other reason, and certainly not in the store that I worked in.
        given you don't need to provide proof of address its totally pointless.
        There is nothing to stop someone bringing it back and saying... er yes. My name... J R Hartley, 1278 Fireplace Road, Armchairton, Pintshire P15 0FF.

I always give a false address when buy TV equipment coz i ain't got a licence
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

so guys its not actually the law? I was returning a carpart which was the wrong thing, I didn't buy anything else and won't after that carry on, I just want to know is this the company or is there some dark tracking system going on? personally I don't want to give my address linked with my card details to anyone at all unless I have to by law.

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
            so guys its not actually the law? I was returning a carpart which was the wrong thing, I didn't buy anything else and won't after that carry on, I just want to know is this the company or is there some dark tracking system going on? personally I don't want to give my address linked with my card details to anyone at all unless I have to by law.
            No it is not law, but then again neither is the shops agreement to accept the refund - its all tied together.

If you buy something not faulty, or fit for purpose then the shop has to rectify it (exchange); if you want to exchange due to not liking it/colour etc then the shop does NOT have to refund it unless you provide proof of purchase (receipt/credit card/bank statement) and finally, all refunds are down to the shop in question - if part of THEIR policy (forget law right now) states no refunds unless we get a name and address, then legally you have no right to argue - they can offer a credit note and be done with it.

That is, the law.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

See this: ---> http://whatconsumer.co.uk/do-shops-h...my-money-back/
              When you buy something from a shop you are entering into a legally binding contract. Therefore they don’t have to give you a refund simply because you have changed your mind. Only if one of your statutory rights is breached (i.e. that the item is damaged, of poor quality or not fit for purpose) do they have to give you your money back.
              and this ---> http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...page38311.html

Reason I've selected and linked these two, is to show you that they are sticking within the boundaries of the laws because they are saying that as part of THEIR agreement, they will refund you - ONLY if you give your name and address, which you could say is anything - I never give my real details.... if you ever buy an electrical white goods item, how do you think that pain in the arse insurance company gets your details - when they hassle you to buy extended warranty! That's why the companies do it, so they can sell to you.... clever tactics and perfectly legal/lawful/ethical - as you agree to it when you make the contract (ie purchase the goods)...
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I work in a shop and the one time we relaxed ID we gave cash for gold payments to a customer the item was hallmarked and all looked good when sent to head office for scaping in turned out to be fake. so we lost £300.00. The point with id (as far as my work is concerned) is most of us jewellers sell same or similar so we have to have proof (H O say so)
                if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                X