GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How Fast is your Internet? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Fast is your Internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How Fast is your Internet?

Riz, we did a big petitiony thing round here to get fibre optic. As we are a town in a semi ruralish area, we were listened to and got our town up the list as so many people/businesses demanded it.
    If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4135035908.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1407150

Not due for fibre until sometime in 2016

Comment

till virgin decide to throttle speed (despite now not being a "heavy" user)

Comment

dire I think you could call ours

download 2.21 upload 0.48 ping 54

and no I do not live on top of a mountain on an island in the middle of the ocean

Comment

Slower than my 4G. 1.4mbps on Sky Download and 8-9mbps on 4G but with a worse ping.

Comment

BT have been laying the cables under the road and have put in several of the new larger boxes in the area. I asked the workmen and they said it was for fibre.

Openreach still says "planned area" anyone know how long it takes for a cabinet to go live after installation ?

Comment

Silly speed, really!

Comment

This is fairly typical for mine:

Name:	4604380060.png
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1408638

That's with Virgin Media fibre optic and I'm paying for up to 100Mb/s, so that's fine by me. Sometimes the ping is a little lower (8ms) and the download speed can go up to about 108 or so, depending on the time of day and what else the computer is doing. I can order higher speeds but don't see a real need to at present, especially as I live alone. I can understand why families streaming on multiple devices at the same time might want higher speeds, though.

Comment

Fibre in so now

Ping 13ms
                    Down 36.87 mbps
                    Up 1.93 mbps

Comment

^^^^ upload isn't that great for fibre
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        ^^^^ upload isn't that great for fibre
                        that is for purpose (to not run business servers on retail connections)
                        VirginMedia offers 3 up on 50 down, 6 up on 100 down and 10-12 on 150 down

last week renegotiated new "deal" and downgraded from 150Mbps to 100Mbps (whilst keeping all the other features same) saving £21 p/m in the process
                        https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/do-i-...dia-broadband/
                        Attached Files

Comment

Your upload is awesome.

Mine is shabby. No fibre / 4G in the sticks so I'm still very slow.

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1410722
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Name:	net.JPG
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1410724

Just been upgraded...

Comment

I thought that

Comment

These are my speeds, as of just now. They upgraded 100Mb/s accounts like mine to 150Mb/s a couple of weeks ago.

However, it's not really a "free" upgrade as they're hiking the price YET AGAIN.

So I have been looking at alternatives but it seems they have me between a rock and a hard place. I don't mind taking a bit of a cut in speed if I switch providers, as I don't really need it that fast. Even 4K streaming doesn't require much more than 25Mb/s. However, when I've tried the line checker facility for other providers' fibre offerings, they are giving rubbish estimates of between 16 and 21. This I presume is because the nearest BT cabinet is further away from me than the Virgin one (which I can see just across the road).

So really I'm not going to get any proper competition to Virgin until companies start offering proper fibre to the home and not just to the cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                                X