GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script building a website - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a website

Hello...I want to build a website but haven't done anything like this before. My brother is probably going to help me with it eventually.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips? Any good websites to use? Anything to avoid?

thanks! x

Re: building a website

You need niddy & steve!!

If it's for a business, consider this:---> http://www.gbbo.co.uk/

To manually build one (back end / FTP) requires time, knowledge of code (CSS/HTML etc) and a lot of patience. Look at me, been building ours for last 6 weeks for 8 hours a day easy. But ours is a 200+ page site due to the content.

Is it an ecommerce or just an info site? Have you looked at free wordpress sites?

You also need to know what code does what and how to use binary FTP etc if you go manual. Plus you got hosting costs!! Then a domain name etc etc

A template would be easiest, but I'm only speaking from experience over the last few weeks - it's a fookin nightmare!!

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

what kind of site ?
      I hereby promise to treat Debt Collection Agencies with the same values that they treat me. UTTER CONTEMPT !!

Comment

Yeah if its just a plain site you can use things like Microsoft Expression or Microsoft Publisher.. they are simple ways of building. There is a few other free ways to build a site..
        but what do you want to do with it?

I built my own site for my Bed and Breakfast and it was quite simple considering I havr a lot of complex things on there (bookings, payments etc)

Comment

As jen says it's easy to add features to a site, ranging from contact forms to calendars but usually the actual template (theme) is the hardest part - getting it "right"!

I considered paying an Indian firm $300 to do it ALL - just google search it but things as mentioned as wordpress are the easiest.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

thanks all...that's given me things to consider! it's just a very straightforward website, a few tabs to click on and a 'contact me' section

crikey Niddy, nothing like on your scale!!! i'll have a look at gbbo thanks

something very similar to your scale of site Jen...i'll have a look at
            Microsoft Expression/Publisher

thanks all! x

Comment

i use to use EZGenerator (most give u free trial) - it also allowed you to do it offline, then you can upload it..........But i've not done for donkeys'

As they says, depends what type of usage ecommerce, or general

Good luck Confused on your adventures
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thanks 5corpio...that sounds good..i'd want to be offline for a while!
                thanks, i'll look into that x

Comment

Code:
                  <html>
                    <head>
                     <title>this is the site title</title>
                    </head>

<body>
                     this is some random text just for show.
                    </body>

</html>
                  save has index.html job done
                  #myfirstwebpage

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                    Code:
                    <html>
                      <head>
                      </head>

<body>
                      </body>

</html>
                    #myfirstwebpage
                    i like it! thanks stevie haven't seen you on for a bit, hope you're ok x

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb View Post
                      Code:
                      <html>
                        <head>
                        </head>

<body>
                        </body>

</html>
                      #myfirstwebpage
                      haha now look at one of our pages (18,000 lines)!!! Love the basic example though *wish they were all that simple *

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        haha now look at one of our pages (18,000 lines)!!! Love the basic example though *wish they were all that simple *
                        i used to work with the programmers at my last job, used to sit with them when they'd update that kind of stuff, fascinating! not something i could do though!! 18,000 is a lot of lines!

Comment

A damned good way to start learning is with just Windows Notepad, and a Web Browser.

Open Notepad and create the first page, say, using the HTML code above that stevieb has suggested.

Save that as "Index1" but that will be a Text File, i.e. Index1.txt

Close that.

Then Right Click that and Open With your Browser, or Open it from your Browser.

Then from your Browser, Save Page As "Index2" making sure you de-select from Text File to All Files, or Web Pages, and you should then end up with an HTML document, i.e.:

Index2.html

Delete the "Index1.txt" File, as that's no longer needed.

Now Right Click the "Index2.html" File and Open With Windows Notepad.

Then do the same and open it again, but this time with your Browser.

Then scale the two Windows so that you can see both at the same time, say 50:50 top/bottom on your Monitor. This is so that you can play with the HTML Code in the Text window, and see the effects of those changes in the Browser Window.

Then try it!

Make changes to the HTML Code, Save them, and then when you Refresh your Browser, you will see the effects of your new HTML Code.

i.e.

HTML File when opened in Windows Notepad would look like this:

<html>

<head>

<title>This is the site title</title>

</head>

<body>

This is a Test.

</body>

</html>
                          The same File when viewed in your Browser would look like this (note the Site Title text does not show):

This is a Test.
                          Thereafter, as you change the HTML Code in the Text Window, and Save, you can see the changes to the Web Page in your Browser.

Don't forget to Save, or else the new Code is not committed, and your Browser won't see the effects until you do, and re-click Refresh.

For example, to add make the word "Test" use BOLD would be done thus, via the Bold HTML Tags. Think of Tags as being something you Switch On in the HTML Code (i.e. "<B>"), and then you also have to Switch Off in the HTML Code (i.e. "</B>"):

<html>

<head>

<title>This is the site title</title>

</head>

<body>

This is a <B>Test</B>.

</body>

</html>
                          The same File when viewed in your Browser would now look like this, note that the word "Test" is now in Bold:

This is a Test.
                          This is how many before Web Design Software came out first cut their teeth on HTML, and it's virtually free and easy to get going with.

If nothing else, it will show you the basics, and help you to realise that most Web Pages build on this, even though they add more and more complexity.

Start with some basics, learn the main HTML Tags, and you'll be better off for the experience, and will better understand how more complex Sites and Pages are constructed.

I hope this helps.

Silverback

Comment

Silverback that's brilliant..thank you for taking the time to write all that out for me...
                            i've seen it written out before but never had a play so that's a good idea..thanks

i'll let you know how i get on

Comment

Then you get HTML5 which throws it all out the window, i.e.

HTML Code:
                              <article class="grid_4">
                                                              <div class="box">
                                                                  <div class="padding">
                                                                      <div class="wrapper">
                                                                          <strong class="numb">02</strong>
                                                                          <div class="extra-wrap">
                                                                              <h2>Full</h2>
                                                        <strong class="title-">service</strong>
                                                                          </div>
                                                                        </div>
                                                                      </div>
                                                                    </div>
                              </article>

Generates this
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	fs.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	1385046
                              Pretty bloody impressive no?

Comment

Working...
                              X