GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Potential scam? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential scam?

Thought some of you might be interested to hear of my experience this morning.

Received a phone call - number withheld - and am on Telephone Preference Service, as well as being ex-directory. The person on the other end of the end had a distinctly foreign accent and started to tell me (not very well, his English wasn't that good!) that my computer had become infected and needed some attention. I asked him how he knew this and he mumbled something about my ISP - at least, I think that was he said. He also said that if I gave him my computer details he would demonstrate what he meant - as if! I informed him, quite assertively (!), that I wanted to know his name, his company name and a telephone number so that I could check with my ISP and then would ring him back. He put the phone down without any further dialogue!

I did ring my ISP who confirmed that it definitely wasn't them - not that I ever thought it was - and that I had done exactly the right thing.

Not sure whether anyone on here has any previous experience of this - I know I am stating the blindingly obvious, as I am sure that none of you would give out details to any random person - but I thought it might be as well to draw attention to it.

And apologies if everyone else has already dealt with a similar issue - I always was a late developer!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Potential scam?

I have heard of this scam before, thank goodness you're not the sort of person to believe what they said! Did they ask for you by name?

Comment

Good to know Phoenix xxxxxxx
      Last edited by Pixie; 15 October 2011, 19:43. Reason: sshhh!!

Comment

I haven't been contacted, but I was visiting friends & they received a cold call in this same manner.
        We politely* told the foreign gentleman that his services were not required**.

** We didn't use quite this many words.
        * Ok, not politely!

Comment

It's a well known scam.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by confused76 View Post
            Did they ask for you by name?
            Good point, Confuzzled!

No, they kept calling me "mam" - as if I was the Queen! There was a bit of pause before they actuall spoke to me which seemed to indicate that they were using an automated dialling system! The bloke I spoke to at my ISP help line said that they just try random numbers until they get an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
              It's a well known scam.
              Thought it might be, Rizzle. Trust me to join the party late - story of my life!

Comment

Just one news report from last year.

BBC News - Warning over anti-virus cold-calls to UK internet users

There are many variations. Some claim to be from your ISP, others from Microsoft helpdesk etc etc...

Most calling from overseas.

All a complete load of con artists.

I had one earlier this week coincidentally. Told the little shit to **** off and die before he could get going properly on his spiel.
                Last edited by Riz; 15 October 2011, 18:21.

Comment

I know wosmeone who had one from "windows" - unfortunately, they thought it was genuine and gave them remote access.

Was sorted out before they used computer again though.

I haven't had one yet, but would love to tell them "thats strange - I havent even got a computer!"

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                    I haven't had one yet, but would love to tell them "thats strange - I havent even got a computer!"
                    Brilliant suggestion, Oscar!

Wish I had thought of that one! Wonder what they would have done if I had let them get into the computer - doesn't bear thinking about!

Comment

My dad had a call just like that telling him that there was a problem with his computer, he played along with for a while and then told them he didn't want their services because it doesn't actually have a computer, which is true he doesn't have a computer.
                      The DCA Vultures are circling above, But the Rhinoman isn't dead yet !
                      He's just sharpening his Horn for the next round. Bring it on !

Comment

Ones I had before have said something like "Your copy of Windows has told us you have xyz problem".

Funny that. Both laptops here run Linux. l

Comment

I like receiving the calls, then running rings round them.
                          Receiving calls for sky insurance is also another scam doing the rounds again.

Comment

I hadn't heard of this one but I think you dealt with it very well Phoenix
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

The call Lady Hooray got wasn't so subtle. The chap who sounded African told her that her computer had a virus and If she paid £15.00 immediately by Debit Card they would download the Anti Virus software.

Luckily for her, No 1 son who is an Independent Financial Advisor (also Freelances for the FSA). Took up the call and told them to Pee off.

It wouldn't have worked on her anyway as she can't even remember her email address or her password to unlock the Laptop.

It sounds so simple you would never believe that anyone would fall for it but they do.

Myself I got a silent call last night. It grabbed the line for @ 3 minutes. No one there.

When I 1471'd it it for the number 6 digit offshore I ran it through Who Calls.com Turns out it's a rather aggressive Indian outfit who will ask how many loans you have had in the last 6 years and would you like to reclaim any PPI.

In reality all they want are your Bank details (excuse is a small up front charge for the service).

Some of the posters on who calls said that the people on the other end of the line had been rude, insulting and sexist bordering on obscene.

On Chap had asked the caller if he was from Bin Ladens office, and if he was to do him a favour and blow himself up

It's good to be able to share this sort of information.

Regards all, Handy
                              Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                              Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Working...
                              X