GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Potential scam? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potential scam?

Am so impressed by the level of response and support from you all, I am (almost) tempted to hope that they try it again, so that I can use one or more of the suggestions given.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes had very similar on a couple of occasions in the last three weeks. My standard response now is put the matter in writing via Royal Mail with all of your contact deatils and we will have the situation reviewed by professionals.

HOWEVER what I do find disturbing is that we are with BT and have to put up with Indian callcentres for accounts and support. The standard response now from their technical support is that it is our computer that has an error and they need access to it to resolve. "NOT BLOODY LIKELY UP YOUR MEGANE" I say. ( sorry to those who own a Renault of the same name but it means MY ARSE in Indian speak) Send me an e-mail with details of the fixes, otherwise I will sort it this end.

Usually I get some form of rude response in Hindi to which I reply "tedi marda fudin!" and put the phone down.

Garlok
      Last edited by garlok; 16 October 2011, 10:51.

Comment

Hi,
        Had an e mail from hmrc telling us we were due a refund of £240 15/10/11 in our junk mail looked very good giving address ladies name ect it was a refund for over payment 2010 /11 was a bit wary so phoned hmrc who told us they would not e mail, it would be by letter. Strange thing is we paid no tax anyway.

Comment

I've had quite a few of these but I don't open them. I've already claimed my tax refund for the past year!
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Actually,I have just realised that, since changing my ISP about 10 months ago, I get hardly any junk mail. Hopefully, it means that my new(ish) ISP has a betteer spam filter. I have a spam filter set on Outlook, and I always got more in there than I did in "normal" email messages, but I now get absolutely none!

I just hope I'm not tempting fate by saying this ....

Comment

Originally posted by pixie View Post
              I've had quite a few of these but I don't open them. I've already claimed my tax refund for the past year!
              Hi
              Quite right we only read the first bit to read the rest it meant downloading 2 parts needless to say we didnt bother. It was a very good site though really looked the business.

Comment

Just received this email.

Good day to you ,

I am Mr.Jeffery Brown the Finance Director Of the Compensation Office West African District Division(2).Your long over due payment from the Nigeria Governments for Fraud Compensations which we believe you have received several emails on is now completelty ready to be released to you.

There is presently a counter claims on your funds by one Mr.Louis Martin, who is presently trying to make us believe that you are dead and even explained that you entered into an agreement with him, to help you in receiving your fund.He is also ready to pay for the release charge of $255 USD on your funds which makes us want to make this last confirmation before going ahead to pay this Mr.Louis Martin.

Below again is My Contact Info:

Contact Agent Name: Mr.Jeffery Brown
                Email fundsremittance_dept@consultant.com )
                Tel : +234-708-721-3321.

If you are alive then i want you to send us your following details so that we can begin process for the release of your funds :

1.Full Name:.....
                2.Full Address;........
                3.Phone Number :........
                4.Sex:...........
                5.Ocuupation:.........

Get back to me with the below informations so that i can inform you how you are to send the only needed charge of $255 USD for the release of your funds which we told Mr.Louis Martin not to pay yet untill nothing is heard from you in 7 working days which will make us believe that truely you are no more and that Mr.Peter Desmond is right.

Regards,
                Mr.Jeffery Brown.
                Think I'll reply and tell them that I'm not alive!!

BTW who is Mr Peter Desmond??

Comment

Hi Pixie,

No don't reply at all. These are scams of the first order and are highly organised. Any reply from you can open the door. We just dump anything like this from our boxes without even opening them. We had a spate of these including the USA's Inland Revenue Service telling us to claim our long outstanding rebate last year.

The Nigerian embasy ones and these above have been linked to the same organisation that has been gleaning information from hard drives in computers sent abroad for recycling. I physically destroy any hard drive that is going to the tip after formatting it with DOS.

regards
                  Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                    BTW who is Mr Peter Desmond??
                    David Desmonds brother; and Mavis Desmonds dad! Who else!
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just got this e mail... makes you think been doing a bit of selling on e bay...........

Dear PayPal Costumer,

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website.

If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update

It's easy:
                      1. Download the attached form and open a secure browser window.

2. Once opened, youwill be provided withsteps torestore your access,then follow the instructions.

Your PayPal® account activity will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

Comment

lol scammer attempt, paypal never ask for anything in emails and also call you by your name - not dear paypal customer!!
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Dear PayPal Costumer
                          They can also spell lol

Comment

Originally posted by helmsman View Post
                            Hi,
                            Had an e mail from hmrc telling us we were due a refund of £240 15/10/11 in our junk mail looked very good giving address ladies name ect it was a refund for over payment 2010 /11
                            When I last received such silly nonsense, the site (which had an obviously phoney address) looked almost convincing.

They'd even remembered to ask for my Zip Code.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                              Hi Pixie,

No don't reply at all.
                              I'd no intention of replying Garlok!!

I just thought it was funny that they wrote "if you are alive" - I'd hardly be reading the email if I was dead would I!!

I've had the PayPal one too I2D, or so I assume because I didn't open it.

Comment

Dear Taxpayer,

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have discovered that
                                you are eligible to receive a tax refund of Ј377.55. Kindly complete the tax refund
                                request and allow 2-3 working days to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid
                                records or applying after the deadline. To access the form for your tax refund,
                                please Click here:
                                http://HM Revenue Customs: Error page could not be found

Note: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time.
                                Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and persecuted.

Thank You.
                                HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)
                                Bit in red gave me a chuckle this morning lol

Comment

Working...
                                X