GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ?

When I receive a text message on my mobile (BlackBerry) it tells me when I received it not when it was sent which may have been hours earlier. This anomaly is giving me grief.

When I open an email on my laptop it tells me when the email was sent even if I don't open it for hours/days/weeks. So why not a text message?

It matters.

Today is an example as follows:

I receive text from Person @ 12 midday which needed a human chat.

I replied by text @ 12.01 "have you got time to talk?"

Person didn't reply/ring for a while. I get miffed.

Person rings @ 12.13.

I then get/receive text from Person @ 3pm which says "I'll ring in 5"

I reply with words to the effect of "don't be silly we spoke three hours ago so no need to ring me again".

Then the penny dropped that maybe the Person sent me a text @ 12.08 (ish) to say "I'll call you in 5" which they did.

So now you can see why it matters to me to know why mobile phones can't/won't/don't tell you when a text was sent.

Or can they?

I have rubbish mobile signal at home which could explain why I don't get my text messages in 'real time'

Re: Why don't I know when a text message was sent to me ?

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I have rubbish mobile signal at home which could explain why I don't get my text messages in 'real time'

Well......I'm not an expert but I think that is your problem tbh....
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

It's not you. My phone freezes and although I did reply immediately and then ring you - the message "froze" till I had mobile again (after we spoke).

It it happens a lot with iphone / imessage.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        It's not you. My phone freezes and although I did reply immediately and then ring you - the message "froze" till I had mobile again (after we spoke).

It it happens a lot with iphone / imessage.
        I didn't reveal it was you but thank you for sharing since you have

It happens loads with my daughter who is also an iPhone person.

I get texts from her in the middle of the night (so as a Mother I panic) which she sent me hours earlier. I get cross with her for waking me up when I should be cross with iPhone because my "receiving" signal is fine while her "sending" signal is not.

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
          Well......I'm not an expert but I think that is your problem tbh....
          That's how much I know about mobiles...................mine is 6 years old and you have to wind it up, even the buttons don't work properly
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
            That's how much I know about mobiles.........

I know even less.

But technology is supposed to be *always on* . That's why I hate it (it's an intrusion) and why I love it (my daughter can find me 24/7 when in trouble).

I'll accept its foibles such as lack of signal but I can't accept it lying to me when it said Niddy sent me a text at 3 pm when in reality he sent me a text at 12 o'clock.

It would have been better if it had said the text was sent "dunno".

Comment

Can't see the point in £500 plus being spent on an IPhone especially when you can get an 8x octa core Cubot 6 for £114.

I have had one of these now for a month and am very impressed with it especially the 13mpixel rear camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1614297037...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I also like the dual sim slots so whilst the signal maybe bad with one provider the other slot can take over as backup if you have a different provider sim in

Comment

Looks a nice phone that!
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  Looks a nice phone that!
                  It is and very fast with the x8 octa core processor although Chinese it is well made and they are making inroads into the mobile phone market and giving the leading brands a run but at a quarter of the price of a leading brand smartphone well worth the price.

Comment

I still like my iPhone and have just made a major technological breakthrough so that my messages go to both iPhone and iPad as I kept getting half conversations orr thought I was being ignored because the reply was going to the other device!!!!
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The last time i looked in to SMS technology, there didn't appear to be much information on how it all works, at least publicly. With regards to the time stamps, it is a real nuisance i agree. However it is was designed as a relatively primitive system when compared to email which has far more functionality.
                      Going back to your problem PlanB: I can only suggest if you have poor coverage to ask anyone to call you/give you one ring (if you are offering to call them back) so at least this is will be real time. Not a great solution, i know.
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Time stamping is an issue for the reason you state - lack of confirmation of sending/receipt. I could tell you some funny stories but I would have to shoot you.

So with email and SMS if everybody could give the time sent you could get over the problem. Email using internal systems can be set to supply time of sending and receipt. This is used to measure the timing of the networks for cost and contractual purposes. You can also set the times the message was opened, but you can't assume it was read and understood.

Apple systems are not as prevalent in secure area, because they are less able to be policed by 3rd parties because of their software and hardware construction. So there is a reluctance to use them on a mass corporate scale where control is required. Therefore no drip down to man in the street.

Apple has ginormous factories in China, where the put together iPad and iPhone, but still has high prices.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                          With regards to the time stamps, it is a real nuisance i agree.
                          I've solved the problem by learning that the 'time sent' information I'm seeing is possibly wrong with texts I receive from iPhones.

If my BlackBerry fails to send my text to someone it displays "Number of tries exceeded" and a red X so I have to re-send until it does actually send. The handset doesn't store them to send when it feels like it.

Mind you that still doesn't solve the problem of the person receiving it hours later due to no signal their end who will think I've been texting them at three in the morning when actually I've been fast asleep for hours.

It matters to me because a text which arrives in the wee small hours implies that person is thinking about you at that precise moment in time in an *awww* way, so I'm thoroughly disillusioned to learn that they weren't

It's probably just a girl thing and the fact that I still believe in Cupid

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post

Mind you that still doesn't solve the problem of the person receiving it hours later due to no signal their end who will think I've been texting them at three in the morning when actually I've been fast asleep for hours.

Indeed, and this is the problem with text (and email for that matter) - no-one knows what happens to the message after it has left their handset.

If i do find out a little more on how the technology works, i'll post back
                            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

I still say iphone rules. Don't care what anyone thinks - iphone rules
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X