GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Firefox/Flash plugin insanity - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox/Flash plugin insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox/Flash plugin insanity

Do any of the geeks have an opinion on what I should do here? -

I updated the Linux Mint installation on my laptop today, which appears to have updated Firefox. Now, every damn website I visit is giving me an error message saying “Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin “Adobe Flash” from running on <site name>.

When I check the plugins on Firefox, the Flash plugin is shown as being up to date.

Does anyone know what might be happening?

What should I do?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    SH

Re: Firefox/Flash plugin insanity

I no expert SH but this happened to me today, I had to install the latest Adobe Flash Player update......it did solve it
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
      I no expert SH but this happened to me today, I had to install the latest Adobe Flash Player update......it did solve it
      Ah, right. Thanks for that. So, it is obviously not purely a problem with my system, then. The question is, why is FF blocking the "outdated" Flash plugin, and then immediately telling me that it is up to date?

Are you using a Linux operating system?

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
        Ah, right. Thanks for that. So, it is obviously not purely a problem with my system, then. The question is, why is FF blocking the "outdated" Flash plugin, and then immediately telling me that it is up to date?

Are you using a Linux operating system?

SH
        I have a macbookpro and don't operate Linux, I think it was a fluke for me to discover the problem......I looked at my Add-on manger and it provided a link to Adobe, telling me to update....
        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
          I have a macbookpro and don't operate Linux, I think it was a fluke for me to discover the problem......I looked at my Add-on manger and it provided a link to Adobe, telling me to update....
          The problem must be with Firefox, then, as it is the only common denominator. MAC computers are a completely different world.

Thanks for the useful input.

SH

Comment

Don't have this problem in Ubuntu 14.04. Have you checked software updater?

Comment

Fine here as well.

Was a new Flash plugin version for ubuntu a few days ago. v11.2.202.425

The previous version ending in 424 has been blocked.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p796

The https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/plugincheck/ page does sometimes seem to lag on catching up with that sort of thing, and this is an update to the last minor digit in the plugin version, so that could also be confusing things.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you, Riz, for that helpful information. I obviously still have the old plugin which is now blocked, but why on Earth is Firefox telling me it is up to date??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Workspace 1_001.png
Views:	1
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1406500

Guess what? I even had to allow the blocked plugin to upload that image - the button on the uploader wouldn't display until I did.

This sort of thing is known in technical circles as a "pain in the 'arris." I'm not sure what to do next.

I'm seriously thinking of stripping this laptop down to a Windows XP only machine, and then partitioning the disc and doing a fresh install of the latest version of Mint.

SH

Comment

every time Firefox updates on my computer it downloads a new search engine even though I click the decline button, then the puter seems to block sites for a while till I search through it and try and remove things I know I haven't downloaded.
                  It's as if things are piggybacking there way in with the update
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sounds unusual, and none too pleasant.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by “downloads a new search engine”, though, as search engines are web based and are not downloaded. Do you mean a search engine toolbar?

Are you using Linux?

SH

Comment

I'm not sure what to do next.
                      You update flash to the latest version.

Easiest way should be by whatever software centre or update manager mint uses.

Comment

From this, the update should be available.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...f=190&t=184749

Checking the mint package repositories, I can see the new version is on their servers to download.

Comment

It is strange, isn't it?

If you look at my screen shot in Post #8, you can see a green tick in the bottom right corner, to the left of the speaker icon. That should mean that the system is up to date and no more updates are necessary.

Similarly, the last batch of updates updated Firefox, which should then have been able to determine that the plugin ending 424 was out of date.

Anyway, I clicked on the green tick, and ended up with this -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Workspace 1_002.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1406504

Hopefully, that will solve the immediate problem. I'd still like a fresh install of 17.1, but some forum threads are reporting problems with USB installations. If I can get this working, I'll leave it alone for now.

SH

Comment

The green tick just says that the system was up to date last time it checked with Mint's servers. Clicking it probably forced a recheck, and hence the update showing up.

I run a manual update at least once per day to make sure I'm up to date.

Code:
                            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                            Regards Firefox being able to check the plugin was out of date, the "plugin check" webpage and Firefox's internal blocklist are not the same thing. One is a check via a website, and the other is an internal list in Firefox. Seems that the website is not recognising that there is a new plugin version yet, while Firefox's own internal blocklist has been updated.

Not great that they are not in sync, but at least the more important blocking of an out of date vulnerable Flash version by FF itself is working.

Comment

Sounds unusual, and none too pleasant.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by “downloads a new search engine”, though, as search engines are web based and are not downloaded. Do you mean a search engine toolbar?

Are you using Linux?

SH
                              sorry SH missed toolbar off the end of my quote, n no not Linux

Comment

Working...
                              X