GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Any Redress against Northern Powergrid for massive surges damaging PC? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Redress against Northern Powergrid for massive surges damaging PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Redress against Northern Powergrid for massive surges damaging PC?

My son's street had a power cut 2 nights ago. After the power came back on again, it was OK for a bit then the lights were glowing really bright, the kettle blew a fuse and his computer banged and went off.

It's fried his PSU and motherboard.
    The pc is crucial to him, he's in rented accommodation and having been ill for over 12 months can't afford home insurance.

It's cost him (well, me ) over £250 to replace the psu, mobo and CPU. (The motherboard although very high spec for running music programmes such as cubase, is now unobtainable in the UK, with nothing else compatible with his CPU, so after much research yesterday realised he'd have to update & replace both).

Do we have a snowball in hell's chance of claiming this cost from Northern Powergrid?

Re: Any Redress against Northern Powergrid for massive surges damaging PC?

Update: After fitting the new motherboard, CPU and PSU, his computer still would work - giving 5 beeps and not booting.
    Turns out the surge also fried his graphics card
    He's cannibalised one from an old computer for now, so now the pc is working again, but will need one of equal quality to the damaged one asap.

He rang the power company who are sending out a statement about the power outage.
    I guess then we write to them with a formal complaint but I'll not hold my breath on getting any redress.

Comment

Nothing ventured nothing gained! Definitely worth trying can your son get a statement from a PC engineer to state that damage caused by power surge?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

He's bought the parts and is fixing it himself (he built it himself in the first place, about 3 years ago), but I've told him to save all the fried bits just in case
        xxx

Comment

I can remember this happening at my Mums when I was younger, ever since she insists on taking plugs out of the sockets when she goes to bed, took us ages to convince her not to do it when she got her first fridge.
          I have surge protected plugs on most of my electrics, some come with a lifetime warranty to cover for damage if the protection fails
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Please make sure your son buys a surge protected extension lead as well. Plug any computer equipment in to it and if you use an adsl modem route the cables through it also. So this doesn't happen again.

Comment

Yeah I bought him one now, guaranteed up to £75,000. Stable door shut too late though.
              I think his PSU had built in Circuitshield protection though, which failed.

Comment

I'm sure you will get a pay out if you. Push hard enough
                Not the same but when national grid dug up my drive way they were. Going to offer 50 quid compensation. With a little pushing we got back 250.so I'd say write to the ceo explain what happend. Say you can provide evidence and receipts for new equipment

Comment

Thanks SX Guy, I will.
                  Had to add cost of a new graphics card to the bill as the one he's taken from my old computer keeps crashing. It's old and not up to spec. Another £108!

Shame I'd already bought him his Christmas presents!

Comment

Don't worry, compile a list of what went bandy, compile a list of costs. Include a cost for time and effort getting it sorted. is it business related? if so, add costs for that too.

Chuck it at them, and refuse no more than what your son is due.

Comment

hi,
                      just picked up on this thread. A similar thing happened to my cousin a few years back (Western Power down here) on his new plasma TV. He wrote to them and they wrote back saying they were very sorry and would send a cheque so he could replace it.
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Thanks SA Gold, that's encouraging

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                          Thanks SA Gold, that's encouraging
                          no problem Elsa! Its worth putting a letter in to the network operator signed for mail. best of luck
                          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

We're still assessing the damage. The hard drive may have to be replaced too by the look of it
                            He's getting lots of BOSD's trying to install & update windows. He's very good with computers so it's not user error.
                            Keeping tally, keeping all the evidence, then I'll do him a letter.
                            So far it's cost him (me) £350. It all has to be high spec because he uses it for music and video editing. (And Assassins Creed I suspect )

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                              I can remember this happening at my Mums when I was younger, ever since she insists on taking plugs out of the sockets when she goes to bed, took us ages to convince her not to do it when she got her first fridge.
                              Doesn't she worry about electricity leaking from the empty sockets?

Comment

Working...
                              X