GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Avast anti virus killed my computer! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avast anti virus killed my computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avast anti virus killed my computer!

I tried to think of an all encompassing title for this so that it might help someone avoid the pain I've just gone through!

Here's the thing, I use my 'pooter a lot, it's a few years old but I look after it. It's running Windows 7 (64 bit) - I have anti virus, firewall and anti malware software installed.

All has been going fine until last weekend when it refused to boot properly. I'd get a desktop showing, maybe a few icons and the spinning circle to show that it was working. Then it'd stop dead.

Nothing would work so I had to hit the reset button. This happened a few times and so I tried booting into safe mode, this worked but when I tried to go for a full reboot it froze and the hard disc light just flickered occasionally. Basically it was showing the symptoms of a hard disc failure and I thought the boot sector may have been corrupted or damaged by all the resets I had to perform so I tried to repair the installation with the original discs. It failed.

I then tried a full reinstall, a very lengthy and painful operation considering all the software I had installed. Luckily, I keep backups of important data on external drives so I knew I wouldn't lose anything important.

After a failed attempt where I got the helpful message "Failed to write image" I tried again. This time it seemed to work and I waited for it to complete. It seemed to hang at around 75% complete for a very long time. (Longer than normal - I've done a few re-installs for other people!)

So I prepared myself for a journey to the local computer store to buy a replacement drive. Just before setting off, I checked again and it had completed successfully.

I ran a program to check the disc as I was now convinced that it was damaged. Being a large (1TB) drive, it took around 3 hours to examine. The good, but confusing, news was that there were no bad sectors on the disc.

So I set about downloading all the Windows updates, machine specific drivers and the essential anti virus. This is where it got interesting and very, very annoying.

I use, or now used to use, Avast anti virus. I went to their website to check for and download the latest version. While there I decided to look at their user forum to see what the latest version was.

At the top of said forum was a topic about their latest release, just what I was looking for so I read on...

And found out that numerous people had a problem with the latest update. It had been causing their machine to hang and become completely unresponsive while booting up! The symptoms matched exactly what I had been experiencing. I was relieved and infuriated at the same time.

Looking back, I can see how it fits, the AV is called for fairly early in the boot up process and any unexpected response from it could cause problems, but I didn't make the connection at the time.

So, sorry to take up so much of your valuable time with my tale of woe but the message is; if you, or someone you know has problems with their computer, check to see if they are using Avast anti virus before you do anything else. The latest I've heard is that it may be a conflict with Malware Bytes or it may be more likely to happen on 64 bit machines but whatever it is, it's a bleedin' nuisance!

My PC will take another day or two to return to it's previous state as I have a lot of software to install. I could have done without all of this so I hope I can save someone else some time!

I now use Bitdefender.

EDITED TO UPDATE - Bitdefender was using a lot of resources so I've now moved on to Webroot
    Last edited by Trumpet; 8 November 2012, 19:56. Reason: Update current AV info

Re: Avast anti virus killed my computer!

You and FP should exchange notes.

Last weekend sounds like duff computer weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
      have also used Karsperski thanks to Barcraps giving it away with the business account.
      They are still giving it away with normal accounts as well. Just got another years license.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Never use Norton, Kaspersky or McAffee, they are all system hogs, use a paid for AV, Webroot complete or Vipre are my choices, both are light and extremely efficient at what they do.

Comment

Or MSE built with Win 7 in mind never had any issues since using MSE.

Comment

Fan of MSE myself - AV that is, not the Green place.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              Fan of MSE myself - AV that is, not the Green place.
              MSE? They are all chisits on there

Comment

Anybody need a new Desktop computer go to E.buyer I had a good deal for £200+ of a 4GB 1TB zoostorm unit + extended warranty for about £35.00 for 3 years just had to use my own operating system.

Comment

Oh dear, i guess if you had worked out it was your AV before reformatting you could have just booted in safe mode and uninstalled it :S

But as with most PC probs, its always the last thing you check thats the problem!

Comment

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

This is not quite the thread I was hoping to read. I use Avast AV, and have a PC running Windows 7 64 bit. I've also got Malwarebytes installed since FP recommended it.

Now, I am getting endless nag messages from Avast to upgrade to the latest version. I suppose that leaves me with these choices -

1) Take a risk and install it, hoping that I can uninstall it again if it causes trouble.
                    2) Uninstall it, and replace it with another free AV such as AVG or MSE (that's Microsoft Security Essentials, not Martin's Spongiform Encephalopathy!)
                    3) Go with one of Vossy's paid solutions.

I'll have to think it over. I don't want to foul up this PC as it is running perfectly at the moment.

SH

Comment

Hi Scabhunter,

if you haven't already done so - it may be worth popping over and reading the Avast user's forum regarding this, they may have sorted it now but last time I looked they were still suggesting workarounds. No thanks, I just want it all to work!
                      By the way, your set up is exactly what I had.

If you do decide to change, I can recommend Webroot security software. I used it as one of the options on trial after the rebuild and my machine boots in less than half the time it used to take and uses a lot less resource while it's running.

Presently you can get a 3 PC, 1 year license on Amazon for around 13 quid. It covers smartphones and tablets as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
                        Hi Scabhunter,

if you haven't already done so - it may be worth popping over and reading the Avast user's forum regarding this, they may have sorted it now but last time I looked they were still suggesting workarounds. No thanks, I just want it all to work!
                        By the way, your set up is exactly what I had.

If you do decide to change, I can recommend Webroot security software. I used it as one of the options on trial after the rebuild and my machine boots in less than half the time it used to take and uses a lot less resource while it's running.
                        Many thanks for sharing your experiences, it could just have saved me a lot of trouble. I'm sure I'd have just downloaded the Avast update if I hadn't seen this thread first.

Originally posted by Trumpet View Post
                        Presently you can get a 3 PC, 1 year license on Amazon for around 13 quid. It covers smartphones and tablets as well.
                        That is also interesting. I just ordered a cell phone in the early hours of this morning, so that could also have come at just the right time.

I hope you've managed to get your own situation worked out in the end, it sounded pretty nasty. You've done a great job by posting here and helping the rest of us out – very much appreciated!

SH

Comment

Working...
                        X