GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Laptop serious error - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop serious error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop serious error

Laptop crashed earlier, details below:-

On Wed 20/06/2012 20:21:39 GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: CWINDOWS\Minidump\Mini062012-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x22F43)
    Bugcheck code: 0xCA (0x1, 0xFFFFFFFFFE530830, 0xFFFFFFFFFCB893B8, 0x0)
    Error: PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR
    file path: CWINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that the Plug and Play Manager encountered a severe error, probably as a result of a problematic Plug and Play driver.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

All double dutch to me. Any ideas?

Re: Laptop serious error

did you remove either a usb hard drive or internal hard drive?
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

any new stuff added recently?

(screen blue when this happened?)

all drivers etc up to date

Comment

Plugging in ipod to charge when it crashed.

No bsod just a serious error message.

No new stuff added recently.

Comment

Could be a bad boot sector. Do you know basic command?

ie /fixmbr etc? Link --> Microsoft Corporation

Faing that, restore to previous record or run via boot option to last known good config.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Try this --> NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Useful links Niddy, cheers for that.

I have a few to sort out, although I think I will leave it to my son as it's a techie issue lol.

Comment

I wash having a real problem with my lap top last night, I was busy exchanging a couple of PM's with another member, and my key board developed a mind of it's own, it would not input what I typed on to the screen, it was missing words off or incorrectly spelling them, and also kept logging me out of the forum....it was really strange, yet this morning it is completely stable and behaving normally again...

Comment

Mine does that. I think it gets upset when I give my attention to a bottle of Vodka

Comment

I have looked at 2 machines over the last week with a very similar problem, both were running XP Pro on 64 bit systems though I don't think the problem is limited just to XP, the solution I used on both machines was this:

Boot to the installation CD. (Start computer with installation disc in the drive)

When offered the choice to Install, Repair, or Quit, select repair.

When prompted select the installation you want to repair (usually "1" ).

When prompted enter the administrator password (if any).

The screen will show:

CWindows

Find the drive letter of your CD by typing:

cd D

If that finds the CD, it will show

D

on the screen.

Then type

copy ntoskrnl.exe CWINDOWS\SYSTEM32

and press the enter key.

The next line should show it was successfully copied.

Power-off.

Power-on.

The computer should now POST and boot into XP

In my opinion it may be the start of the HD failing. Keep a regular backup of your work and use a good defrag program regularly, you will probably find it is a bad sector on the HD.

Hope that helps you, oh and both of these machines were Dell's. It must be the season for laptops to break, I have also looked at a HP only 2 years old with a cooked motherboard and an 18 month old Advent with a cooked motherboard, you have to keep laptops cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                      How do you keep them cool? They sell all sorts of cooling paraphernalia for PCs but I can't think of anything for a laptop

I'd like my 4 month old lappy to live a bit longer than 18-24 months!!!
                      The worst thing is sitting with it on your lap or placing it on the sofa or carpet to use it, it blocks the air vents and hence gets too hot, just use a tray on your lap or something flat so that the air can circulate, they will still feel warm to the touch but at least the hot air can escape, every so often just use a can of compressed air to blow any visible dust and fluff out from underneath and inside the vents.
                      The problem of heat is that it heats the solder on the components inside the computer and when it cools down the joints can then crack causing bad connections, the constant hot - cold cycle can't be helped but it doesn't hurt to try and ease the problem.
                      Not much more you can do really, I have seen those cooling ones with fans where you plug them into the USB ports and they fit underneath, never tried them so I can't really comment properly.

Just found this Buy Trust Foldable Notebook Cooling Stand Xstream at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Laptop cooling pads and lapdesks.
                      Last edited by vossy; 26 June 2012, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                        How do you keep them cool? They sell all sorts of cooling paraphernalia for PCs but I can't think of anything for a laptop

I'd like my 4 month old lappy to live a bit longer than 18-24 months!!!

i've had one of these for a few years now...£17

Comment

Working...
                        X